Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motor height correct?

Can some of you take a look at this video and see if you think I can benefit from raising my motor some.

The fin gets out of the water on WOT, but is still getting splashed pretty significantly.

I reached 5300 rpm and 45.2mph during this run. Just added a jackplate so have some flexibility right now. The motor height was set at same exact height as without a jackplate to start from and I was going to adjust from there. Cavitation plate is about 1-1/2" from back keel.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What hull are you running? Do you have a water pressure gauge? Aluminum prop or SS? Any transducers with in 18" of the center line of the motor?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    What hull are you running? Do you have a water pressure gauge? Aluminum prop or SS? Any transducers with in 18" of the center line of the motor?
    93 skeeter ss90 hull (16.2ft), 93 Johnson 90hp.

In this video I am running 5300 rpms and 45.2mph per gps. Have a lowrance small skimmer, but its about 19" on starboard side.

Aluminum prop 13.25x19p...have a 4 blade stainless coming in the mail thats 13.25x17p

water pressure gauge I am installing this week...didnt want to start raising it until I had one.

mainly wanted to know if it needs to go up.

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Should be able to get 45-47 mph out of that hull with a good condition motor. Prop it/set it up for 5500-5700 rpm at WOT. Experimentation and fun,,,thats what it is all about. Like Fred says, get a gauge and watch that water pressure while doing it.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Has the timing/link and sync been checked and overall condition of motor been checked recently? When someone wants me to help with their set up and propping, I always check the condition of the motor first and make any need adjustments. Be surprised how many times someone chases set up issues and their motor is not running good/right.

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....334&highlight=

How did this turn out/what was found?^^^^^^^

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....334&highlight=

How did this turn out/what was found?^^^^^^^
    It was the fuel line. The complete inner layer was separated and the suction of the motor was sucking it to a crumpled piece of trash inside the lines.

Also, the primer solenoid is more aggressive that I was aware and I flooded the engine a couple of times. Just learning new boat. Runs like a top now.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joho5 View Post
    93 skeeter ss90 hull (16.2ft), 93 Johnson 90hp.

In this video I am running 5300 rpms and 45.2mph per gps. Have a lowrance small skimmer, but its about 19" on starboard side.

Aluminum prop 13.25x19p...have a 4 blade stainless coming in the mail thats 13.25x17p

water pressure gauge I am installing this week...didnt want to start raising it until I had one.

mainly wanted to know if it needs to go up.
    Let's revisit this when you get all the components installed. Give it a test flight and see how it performs.

9. Member
    Let's revisit this when you get all the components installed. Give it a test flight and see how it performs.
    Got it...will get the prop on and water pressure gauge and run it like it is. Ill get a video of it as well.

The big fin is on it from previous owner. Should I take that thing off? Or does it indeed help? I have never had one of the big fins on any boat I have owned.

thanks

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Helps sometimes with hole shot, does help if you are pulling the kiddo's on the water toys. You can try it with and without.

11. Member
    got most of the gauge installed. I ended up using a brass "T" that screwed into the water block. Where the original tell-tale would connect to. Then I screwed a connected to each side of that brass T...once to tell tale, other to gauge.

Have to finish running the pitot tube and I will be good to go.

Prop is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here is a good link to set your prop to pad. Start out at 3.5" below pad. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660

13. Member
    Here is a good link to set your prop to pad. Start out at 3.5" below pad. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660
    3.5" is where I started when I had a v6 150hp. Thats not too high for a v4...13.25" diameter prop?

if not, thats where I will start.

thanks

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nope I'd start right there

15. Member
    Nope I'd start right there

Good deal...thank you sir. Going to get this gauge on and see the pressure its reading like everything is now so I have something to compare to when I start doing changes.

Should report something back this weekend.

16. Member
    got everything on...just need to take to lake and run it. Hopefully Saturday. If I start it up on muffs and rev it up, will I show any pressure at all on gauge? Was going to try that this evening.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It will take a minute for the pressure to build up but idle should be around 5 psi. Don't rev it up too much on the muffs you don't want it to runaway on you. I don't like to let them fall below 18 psi at full trim WOT.

18. Member
    on muffs warmed up and idled all the way down it floats 3-4psi...if I rev it...itll jump up to 5-6psi

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It will change in the water.

20. Member
    Didn't get new prop. Will be here Monday. Left the motor down where it's at...25psi at WOT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast