Thread: Motorguide x5

Question Motorguide x5

I’m looking to replace my trolling motor with one that I can link to my lowrance electronics. Can someone tell me if the x5 motor guide will link up with the HDS Gen 3s installed in my boat. If not which one do I need and is there anyway possible to stay with a minnkota which I prefer over motor guide. Thanks in advance Jeff

May need some more Info. What do you mean by link ?
    Transducer or full GPS functions ?
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I’m looking for something that can do spot lock more than follow mapping or contour lines. I’m not a big fan of Motor Guide but all of my electronics are new and I’m not going to change over to hummingbird. Should have done my homework before installing new electronics.

4. Member
    I’m definitely going to go back to 36 volts

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Workforfish View Post
    I’m looking for something that can do spot lock more than follow mapping or contour lines. I’m not a big fan of Motor Guide but all of my electronics are new and I’m not going to change over to hummingbird. Should have done my homework before installing new electronics.
    First, the only unit on the market that talks to Lowrance is the Xi5 Motorguide, electric steer. That being said, all the MinnKota's IPilot will allow spotlock or anchor mode. The IPilot also allows for a jog function as well as storing a minimum of waypoints and tracks in the remote. The Ultrex gives the footpedal steer "feel" of a standard footcontrolled trolling motor, except it has no torque. I understand not changing to Humminbird and you don't have to in order to get the anchor and other gps functions. The only thing you lose by not having the Link (required for Humminbird) is the ability to follow contour lines, ability to make you own contour lines through the depth finder, and a number of waypoints limited only by the Humminbird.
    Call me if I can help.
    John
    870 773 3474
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I have the xi5 and love it but alot of people dont like the pedal.
    It does work good with lowrance.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

7. Member

Thumbs Up

I have the xi5 and love it but alot of people dont like the pedal.
    It does work good with lowrance.
    It’s good to know that MG may have some improvements that’ll make them better. I used MG for 20 years and it seemed like every time I was in a big tournament something would go wrong, I went to Minnkota and haven’t had any major issues I’m not trying to down grade any brand they all have issues from time to time. I believe in Minnkota and for the time being Ima stay with them for now. It’s hard to believe as much technology that’s out there they can’t make it available for any brand to work together. Way over my head.