Ultrex Shaft Angle problem

Hi guys, I guess this is the first time I've posted on BBC I've been using this site for info for years so thanks for all the info and help! I've just installed an ultrex and everything went smooth took it to the lake and I had a hard time seeing my drop shot. It would have to be way under the boat before I would pick it up . I'm using the us2 sonar just for 2d. I'm running a Helix 7 G2N up front, Thant being said I get home and try to figure out the problem and I lower the unit and lock it in place and the shaft is pointing way toward the back of the boat so my sonar beam is shooting toward the outboard. ( boat is a 99 Stratos 285 pro Xl) So I google it and find a thread on here with the same problem but after many posts no concrete solution is ever offered. Mr jones of jones trolling motor put a protractor on the screen but that really doesn't solve my problem and I'm wondering if any of you guys have had the same problem and if so how you handled it. This afternoon I shimmed the front of the motor up but it looks like crap, not something I should have todo after spending 2500$ on a trolling motor. I'll call customer service in the morning. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Are you using the built in transducer? If so I really don't know the answer but here's what I did. I have a lowrance hdi transducer mounted and I had to shim the transducer. I have it pretty close now. I just used some aluminum strips with some rubber strips to protect the trolling motor and shimmer the back of the transducer sheild and saver.

3. Member
    The trolling motor is angled slightly to allow it to stow properly. Due to the size of the transmission, the angle allows the shaft to bend down and applies tension with the lower unit on the mount. You're correct. This allows the transducer to point slightly back. Try using the 83/200 frequency to get the benefits of both the narrow and wider cones.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    I'm using the built in sonar now but may put the external transducer on so I can center it on the motor for a more straight shooting beam. Shimming the front of the motor has helped it a lot but I haven't had a chance to test it. It just looks bad imo to have big washers holding up the unit. Wish there was a better looking solution haha. May have to build a wedge out of plastic or something?

5. Member
    I really think putting an external on and either using the factory mount and adjusting it or shimming a tss type mount are the best options. I wouldn't want to shim the whole motor either

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLAND1611 View Post
    May have to build a wedge out of plastic or something?
    If you're good with working, you can start with a piece of cutting board (the heavy plastic ones) and cut it to a wedge. Would probably be a tough cut to make.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

If you find a fix -- I would like to know about it..
    I do a lot of vertical fishing and have just learned to live with it. Even if you center the t-ducer and the shaft is angled -- as soon as you turn the motor to keep the boat on your spot you just changed the angle. Or the wind/current moves the boat or your partner changes ends of the boat or a boat wake comes by.

8. Member
    Well fishnfireman I know how you feel now. I can't believe this doesn't bother many others. I fish Lanier and vertical fish almost predominantly and the sonar beam on the trolling motor is how I catch fish I really want it to shoot just a little forward so I can pitch my drop shot ahead a little a float over it and still see it. Shooting under the boat just kills proper technique and I don't want to use 83 kHz because accuracy is key. I just don't understand why minnkota didn't put an adjustable head on it. Right now I've got it shimmed up about 2 inches at the front of the mount, its helped a lot but it's still not 90 degrees so I'm gonna run an external transducer and put it right in the middle of the motor so it will help to keep the same angle when the head turns. With the us2 on the front of the motor it amplifies the change in angle when the head turns. I'm gonna try this out when I can get to the lake again, probably Saturday and when I finally get it where I want it I guess I'll build a wedge so it don't look like straight crap on the boat. I think I'm going to like the motor a lot with all its features but having to modify a brand new motor that cost as much as some cars is a real pain in the butt.

Keep us posted !!
    I have went so far as to take a carpenters level in the boat while fishing. then try to match that level with the boat back on the trailer just so I can get the transducer to shoot straight by adjusting it in the driveway..
    With a 16 degree cone 20 ft of water it does not take much angle to lose sight of your presentation.

10. Banned
    if youre vertical fishing, don't use 83 khz like suggested unless you want to see things that are not directly under the boat. maybe it's my boat but I don't have any problems seeing my bait. I fish lanier like GLAND and we live off shore staring at our electronics