Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Two points that others have made on threads on shaft length that are worth noting - with the Ultrex you loose a few inches due to the shaft clamp design, so a 45 is more like a 42 usable length. Also with Spotlock you will find yourself fishing off the back of the boat more. The added weight in the back puts the bow even higher and the TM more out of the water. Just something to consider.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    Two points that others have made on threads on shaft length that are worth noting - with the Ultrex you loose a few inches due to the shaft clamp design, so a 45 is more like a 42 usable length. Also with Spotlock you will find yourself fishing off the back of the boat more. The added weight in the back puts the bow even higher and the TM more out of the water. Just something to consider.
    Not true. The 45 shaft is actually 48" long, so with the 3" depth collar, you still have 45" from top of motor to bottom of depth collar. If you can picture the depth collar positioned under the head, that would still be like 45" from the top of motor to the bottom of head like the Fortrex (the "head" in this case would consist of the upper and lower control box with the depth collar.) However, the 52" is a true 52" shaft, so with the 3" depth collar you're getting 49" of usable shaft. Makes for a 4" difference that yall are debating over.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Not true. The 45 shaft is actually 48" long, so with the 3" depth collar, you still have 45" from top of motor to bottom of depth collar. If you can picture the depth collar positioned under the head, that would still be like 45" from the top of motor to the bottom of head like the Fortrex (the "head" in this case would consist of the upper and lower control box with the depth collar.) However, the 52" is a true 52" shaft, so with the 3" depth collar you're getting 49" of usable shaft. Makes for a 4" difference that yall are debating over.
    John
    Thanks for clarifying that John - so its true for the 52" only - the usable difference is 4". Interesting because I thought I kept my 52" Ultrex lower than my 52" Fortrex.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    John
    This is why I bought the 60 my dealer had and we cut it down but it's a true 52in instead of the 49.

I have the 52". When I fish in Florida I have to raise it up pretty high, which leaves the head of the TM hanging over the rub rail. You must be careful pulling into a dock that has pilings; it will snap the head off.

6. Member
    Triton 20x2 had a 52 and went with a 45 for ky lake ledges. if its that rough, Ill get off lake. The 45 handles great.

Ordered the 45 with Ranger Z519. No problems at all. Of course, if I fished one of those lakes that make you feel that you are on the ocean, I'd probably want the 52.
    It's what you learn AFTER you know it all that counts...

2017 Ranger Z519
    Mercury Pro XS 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G2N

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The current generation of Elite series and FLW Pros impress me when they stand on the bow and video-game dropshot in 3-4 foot waves, but I’ve fished too many years on Erie to be comfortable with that any more. Most of them don’t even have a pole seat on board. Good for them. If it’s that rough, I’m fishing from behind the console, and let the devil take the hindmost. Us old school guys do a lot of smallmouth fishing without the trolling motor even in the water....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    I went with a 52 on my V20 and love it. I am glad I followed my dealer's, George Spugeon at Fredricks Marine, advice, even though he is a Bama fan!! I had a 45 Fortrex before and in moderate chop it would come out of the water. I'm not sure about your 211 design, but for the V20 the bow comes out of the water pretty far when sitting still. The V20 is not a light boat either.

10. Member
    *Spurgeon. Sorry George!

11. Member
    I have a 45 just like my previous Fortrex. In Texas why would you need more?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    45 inch on my 20 foot boat. the transducer is 1.5 ft below the surface. 52 would be too long for me
    X2 - Same for me

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    I have a 45 just like my previous Fortrex. In Texas why would you need more?
    Well you hadn't fished Amistad or Falcon on a windy day have ya?

14. Member
    45" unless your fishing Hugh water all the time off shore like the Great lakes. Like said above by Jones trolling motor its only 4" difference.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Well you hadn't fished Amistad or Falcon on a windy day have ya?
    Falcon, yes....twice. I don’t consider it a big water lake.....not even close. It’s more like Guntersville.....shallow. And like Guntersville the wind can cause it to be rough. But if it’s rough enough to keep a 45” trolling motor out of the water I’m not going to be on the lake!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    Falcon, yes....twice. I don’t consider it a big water lake.....not even close. It’s more like Guntersville.....shallow. And like Guntersville the wind can cause it to be rough. But if it’s rough enough to keep a 45” trolling motor out of the water I’m not going to be on the lake!
    Well that's good for you, if your tournament fishing most won't just not fish because of the wind. I didn't claim they were big water lakes but get rough enough the TM won't be in the water, sometimes even with a 52.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12