Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think my case may have been extreme but my surgerys were about 4 years ago and it sucked. I had polyps real bad, I could not breath through my nose at all and always sounded like I was sick.

Surgery 1 was attempted by my ENT. The procedure was stopped because I was a bleeder and they were not equipped to deal with that. Even though they did not do much I still had to deal with follow ups where they would ream a vacuum hose up my nose to suck out the blood and scabs. This was the worst, I actually called the doc a mother effer one of the times.

Once healed up, time for surgery 2. This was done in the hospital by the Director of Rhinology and Sinus Surgery at UMDNJ. He told me that he would be removing the sinus tissue so it would be like starting over again. Only hitch this time was that the plate at the top of my sinus cavity cracked so I had to stay over night. The follow ups with this doc were not as bad but still sucked having the vacuum hose shoved up my nose- that happened 4 times if I recall correctly. Lastly I was out of work about 2 weeks.

I do not have polyps anymore but due to bad allergies my sinus' are always inflamed and I do not breathe as well as when the procedure was completed and I healed. I would not do this again unless I could not breath at all again
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsobo View Post
    I think my case may have been extreme but my surgerys were about 4 years ago and it sucked. I had polyps real bad, I could not breath through my nose at all and always sounded like I was sick.

Surgery 1 was attempted by my ENT. The procedure was stopped because I was a bleeder and they were not equipped to deal with that. Even though they did not do much I still had to deal with follow ups where they would ream a vacuum hose up my nose to suck out the blood and scabs. This was the worst, I actually called the doc a mother effer one of the times.

Once healed up, time for surgery 2. This was done in the hospital by the Director of Rhinology and Sinus Surgery at UMDNJ. He told me that he would be removing the sinus tissue so it would be like starting over again. Only hitch this time was that the plate at the top of my sinus cavity cracked so I had to stay over night. The follow ups with this doc were not as bad but still sucked having the vacuum hose shoved up my nose- that happened 4 times if I recall correctly. Lastly I was out of work about 2 weeks.

I do not have polyps anymore but due to bad allergies my sinus' are always inflamed and I do not breathe as well as when the procedure was completed and I healed. I would not do this again unless I could not breath at all again
    I'm going to a allergist in a few weeks. My ENT said best way to get to what plugging me up.

3. GTB
    When I had mine done the doctor failed to mention that I could lose my sense of smell. Well I did, for 5 YEARS ! I couldn't smell a brush fire if I was next to it. Lost my sense of taste which is of course related. Eventually it came back . Be prepared and ask your doctor.

4. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Worst day of my life. I'll sniff Afrin 3 times a day before I get that 5hit done again!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

5. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I too had the silicone tubes instead of packing. The worse part for me was first two weeks I would develop a headache that was unbearable then go for post op check up he would pick my nose. It felt like he was pulling my eyeballs out but once that was done I felt great.

3-4 weeks later he told me my septum had moved back he was going to have to redo it...Uh no! So now I still have a deviated septum.
    This surgery is kind of like a vasectomy it depends on the doctor doing the procedure. Both of mine sucked!!

6. Banned
    Guys.. Try Colloidal Silver nasal spray. My mother has had bad sinus problems for years. This has really helped her. It's a natural nasal spray. You can buy it on Amazon. There is a brand called Argentyne 23. Do some research if you would like.

7. Banned
    had a deviated septum fixed as well as 2 balloon sinuplasty's done. recovery was pretty bad but at least they didn't pack my nose with gauze. I did have to wear a head band to hold gauze on my nose for several days. I stayed doped up and slept for the first 3 days. still breath through my mouth at night for some reason. whatever you do, don't sneeze

8. Member
    I had my septum repaired, turbinates reduced, and the scar tissue from chronic sinus infections "drilled out" by an ENT I was referred to by my primary care doc in 2012 if I remember correctly and it has been life changing for me. I've only had one sinus infection since, when I get a cold it usually is gone in 2 - 3 days. I can smell things now that I could never smell before (that can also be bad) and my cooking has gotten better because I can smell the spices. Got a lot more stamina since I can breathe through both sides of my nose at the same time.

No tubes or packing in my nose, just had to do weekly followups where they would numb my nose and clean out the stuff as I wasn't allowed to blow it. Done as outpatient, was at the surgical center for less than 6 hours total. Worst part for me was the sore throat from the breathing tube. Not too much pain in my nose, although day 3 was a bitch, and for a couple of days every time I would bend over or sit up too fast it felt like blood/mucus was rushing out of my nose even though it wasn't. I was given the all clear after 4 weeks.

Now I still do sinus rinses on a regular basis just to help keep things cleaned out better.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by buffaloriverbass View Post
    Been through two of them. The first was terrible, the second wasn't too bad. If they have to pack your noise it is much worse than if they can leave it open to drain. When the packing comes out it feels like someone is pulling your testicles through your noise. The suction part to clean everything out a few days after the surgery stinks too. Good part is you will be breathing better in a few weeks than you have in a long time plus the number of sinus infections you fight will drop dramatically. Good luck.
    Ouch you can truly feel the "Pain" just reading this description......I wanted to laugh but the amount of mental discomfort brought on by this great use of a few simple words that fully illustrate the post surgery agony made that totally impossible

When they publish a " Best Descriptive Terms of the BBC" this one will surely be listed under Sinus Surgery

10. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Reading this thread is a reminder of why I never had the surgery done. I have heard horror stories so just live with it. I just ordered the spray that was mentioned by Brent11; thanks!
    Last edited by sgt93; 12-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

11. Member
    Prayers for you sir! Mine was a very memorable event. I sure hope it works out for you.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

12. Scraps
    Just make sure you've got all the meds and take them religiously. Infection is your worst fear. I could probably use this surgery but it scares the he!! out of me with some of the stories I've heard.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    Good Luck! I hope yours goes better than mine.Mild to moderate pain is what my doc told me I was going to take a baseball bat just to show him what mild to moderate pain really felt like! I have been shot and I have been hit by a mortar shell, but this....this s%$# was totally out of control! The only relief was over the counter sinus meds, reduces the swelling.Nothing else could even dull the pain, Pain was so bad I was hallucinating,and wide awake. You should watch a video on Nasal Rhinoplasty

14. Member
    I had it 12 years ago. It really worked for about 2 years and then back to the same thing. Wasn't a bad surgery. Back then they placed these things that looked like a banana in your snout. Weeks later they had to pull them out. That was nasty!!!!!

15. Member
    had it done about 20 yrs ago--best thing i ever did !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12