ZPI vs Hedgehog Studio Bearings?

Which do you guys prefer? I always used Bocca Orange Seals but got a set of ZPI Office bearings for my last reel. Hedgehog has several different bearings, are they better or should I just get another pair of ZIP? If Hedgehog which ones, they seem to have several.

2. Member
    So after researching ZPI and Hedgehog AIR HD seem to be a toss up on general use bearing upgrades. I have a set of ZPI so im leaning towards the AIR HD to try out, what oil is recommended? I have the Lightning Lube, will that work or do I need something brand specific?

3. Member
    I have all three but I have to say I prefer the zpi. Perfomance wise its a toss up between hedgehog and zpi. Both seem to be quieter than bocas. I like the shield on the one side of the zpi bearings. I use the zpi, hedgehog, and lighting lube oils. They all work great. If I had to choose one I would go with the hedgehog oil.

4. Member
    I have Boca's in all of my reels except a metanium I sent to the Tackle Trap last month to get tuned. They recommended the Air HD. I have only been able to fish it once, since I got it back but my initial thought was I liked the boca's better. Maybe that will change over time.

I've used all three extensively, The Tackle Trap stocks and sells all of them, and they are all good bearings. ZPI spool bearings are my #1 choice for an all around, excellent performing, premium quality bearing. Hedgehog AIR or AIR HD, depending on the intended lure weight range, are outstanding as well. Hedgehog ZR bearings are the "best bang for the buck" bearings out there in my opinion.

As far as lube goes, I use Hedgehog Medium Light oil on all but the AIR BFS where I use Hedgehog Ultra Light. On ZPI bearings, I use ZPI Long Cast oil. One bottle of each of the oils are relatively inexpensive and last a very long time. Here is a link to the oils and lubricants available.