Thread: 4 stroke gas?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Any new outboard, including everything in the fuel system, is fully compatible with E10 fuel. By itself, it does not harm the engine, the lines, the bulb or anything else designed to come in contact with the fuel. However, since alcohol tends to attract water this can cause issues if the fuel sits unused for extended periods of time. This is not unique to outboard motors and you'd have the same issues in an automotive engine for similar lengths of time. We don't have issues with alcohol in automobile engines because for the most part it doesn't sit around long enough to attract water. We do have fuel treatments that can fend this off.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I am not disagreeing with this because I have read it before....but it always makes me wonder. A lot of smaller stations with big tanks in rural areas just don't sell that much fuel. Every time they top off their storage tank there is a lot of old fuel there. In the winter I am sure there are places that don't buy a new tanker load every 15 to 30 days. How do they keep the gas in the holding tanks good?

I don't buy gas in places like that. I learned lessons about buying gas or especially diesel at rural type stations when I owned RVs..... I only buy gas at popular busy stations and I don't put ethanol in any boat or small engines unless forced to do that. My Yamaha has had some ethanol gas added to it only twice when I was in a bind. But if the fuel only lasts about 15 to 30 gays before starting to degrade, there must be a lot of bad stuff out there....and always treat it.

I do believe however that four strokes are less likely to have a problem with ethanol than two strokes are. They are more like traditional automobile engineering than a two stroke.
    There is no gaurantee that the fuel in rural station tanks is good which is why I would never purchase fuel from a place like that either. Top tier high traffic fuel stations only for myself as well. No matter how soon im going to burn it in the boat or my small engine stuff i ALWAYS treat the fuel. To me its just a good habit to be in. Your last pragraph tho doesnt make sense to me as to why you think that? Im not talking old 2 strokes im talking modern late model. Dont both engines use fuel lines, o ring seals on pumps and injectors that ethonal can break down and can cause issues if not treated properly? Whats the difference other than the 2 stroke fires every other stroke instead of the 4th? Niether are injecting oil in the combustion chamber these days. Ethanol damage does not know any different. If you dont treat the fuel and it sits it will catch up to you. No matter what engine you are running.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    I am fortunate. I have a rural mom n pop gas station that sells 3 grades of no ethanol gas. The lake is 12 miles away. The gas station is halfway to the lake. It gets lots of business from people buying gas for their lawn equipment but especially the boating traffic. I see a boat there getting gas nearly every time I drive by there. Seriously that place always has a boat there filling up. Because of this I feel ok getting gas there.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I am fortunate. I have a rural mom n pop gas station that sells 3 grades of no ethanol gas. The lake is 12 miles away. The gas station is halfway to the lake. It gets lots of business from people buying gas for their lawn equipment but especially the boating traffic. I see a boat there getting gas nearly every time I drive by there. Seriously that place always has a boat there filling up. Because of this I feel ok getting gas there.
    mom or pop is good. It sounds like a high traffic place. That’s all that matters. There gas gets turned over a lot

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    mom or pop is good. It sounds like a high traffic place. That’s all that matters. There gas gets turned over a lot
    Yes sir quick turnover is the key. Remember the days when gas would last 6 months or more untreated before it would sour? I have seen sour gas in equipment at work that has sat for a little over a month. Its crazy.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    Corn is for whiskey. Leave it out of our fuel!

Yea idk why they think its so much better to put it in gasoline. Its making someone alot of money somewhere im sure.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Yea idk why they think its so much better to put it in gasoline. Its making someone alot of money somewhere im sure.
    Today's farming techniques have really increased the crop yield over time. I'd say the biggest lobby pushing for more ethanol in fuel is the Farm Bureau.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    50% of the U.S. corn crop is used for the production of ethanol. In just Iowa alone there are over 100 ethanol production plants and they actually import corn into the state which is an amazing statistic considering they have 10 million acres of corn in Iowa producing over 1.5 billion bushels per annum. If not for the federal mandate to use 15 billion gallons of ethanol per year it could not compete with gasoline. Sugar cane into ethanol makes sense, corn barely pencils out but it supports a bunch of rural states with a proportionally higher number of electoral votes. BTW, I am a native of Iowa and make my living in the ag industry but it still seems like a pretty dumb way to stretch our fuel supply by a few percentage points. Personally I've never had an issue using E10 in gas and it was first introduced in Iowa in the mid-70's. Using Stabil or something similar makes sense in a boat.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

10. Member
    Always buy your fuel at a high volume gas stations. And NEVER BUY gas at a station where the gas trucks are putting in fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentR View Post
    Always buy your fuel at a high volume gas stations. And NEVER BUY gas at a station where the gas trucks are putting in fuel.
    Another very good point. If the truck is there keep looking. Granted the truck could of just left and you dont know it but if you can its something to avoid. We do the same at work no fueling the buses on the days the fuel truck shows up. The tanker driver said its amazing how much sediment there is settled in the bottom of the tanks. He said better off not knowing lol
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure the farm lobby does have a lot to do with it but adding ethanol to gasoline does actually reduce some of the pollutants in the exhaust.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I am not disagreeing with this because I have read it before....but it always makes me wonder. A lot of smaller stations with big tanks in rural areas just don't sell that much fuel. Every time they top off their storage tank there is a lot of old fuel there. In the winter I am sure there are places that don't buy a new tanker load every 15 to 30 days. How do they keep the gas in the holding tanks good?

I don't buy gas in places like that. I learned lessons about buying gas or especially diesel at rural type stations when I owned RVs..... I only buy gas at popular busy stations and I don't put ethanol in any boat or small engines unless forced to do that. My Yamaha has had some ethanol gas added to it only twice when I was in a bind. But if the fuel only lasts about 15 to 30 gays before starting to degrade, there must be a lot of bad stuff out there....and always treat it.

I do believe however that four strokes are less likely to have a problem with ethanol than two strokes are. They are more like traditional automobile engineering than a two stroke.
    I always buy at high volume stations, since I got some bad gas at a little podunk Florida station years ago, must have been 10-15% water. Got me stranded on the intercoastal waterway.

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure the farm lobby does have a lot to do with it but adding ethanol to gasoline does actually reduce some of the pollutants in the exhaust.
    Being here in the corn belt. The lobbyists are pushing for more ethanol percentages. Everytime I go pass the big refinery here in town, to see all those hopper trucks waiting to be en-loaded. I can’t help thinking how many people it would feed. But it’s is said that a lot of overseas companies like BP that is forced to add it here. Do there best to buy as little as they can get away with. They did get in trouble here. In Indiana some time back. With less than 7% in there E10.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

15. Member
    Let the markets decide. Offer E10 and E0 to the consumer at their true cost no BS subsidies or quotas and let the market and supply and demand go to work.

16. Banned
    Let the markets decide. Offer E10 and E0 to the consumer at their true cost no BS subsidies or quotas and let the market and supply and demand go to work.
    It's not based on the market, it's a requirement by the global warming political movement.

Generally a good idea but the removal of subsidies on corn would likely bankrupt a lot of farmers.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

18. Member
    If that is the case those that currently grow corn will switch over to a profitable crop.

19. Banned
    If that is the case those that currently grow corn will switch over to a profitable crop.
    Maybe hemp...

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Generally a good idea but the removal of subsidies on corn would likely bankrupt a lot of farmers.
    The govt. should announce a date to the end of subsidies well in advance so farmers can adjust accordingly. If worrying about putting a group of people out of work should be a primary concern of government, we would still using mainframe computers and employing hundreds of thousands of key punch operators.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast