Thread: Talon Problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talon Problem

I posted before on one of my Talons deploying by itself. The manufacturer and a local authorized repair center cannot figure out what is going on. One more thing I wanted to mention here before I get rid of it, is that it only self deploys on the water. I have trailered it 100's of miles and it is fine and as soon as I get on the water it deploys at least once a day. What am I missing here?

2. Member
    sounds like you have a sticking button every once in a while after you deploy/retract them.

Have you tried a new remote or foot pedal?

3. Member
    I have 4 remotes and 2 in the boat at all times. The first time it did it, I replaced those remotes with 2 different ones , and got the same results. I will take the cover off the buttons and give them a good spray of WD40 and see if that helps. Winter is here so I will see what happens this spring.

4. Member
    hmmm

they really are pretty simple. There isn't much to them at all.

I would start at the buttons...after that, check your wires to make sure nothing has rubbed through and is arching/ grounding out every once in a while.

honestly, I don't use the hand remotes anymore. They started acting up for me as well even after I put brand new battery in them. Sometimes they would deploy, other times they wouldn't. The foot control switch hasn't let me down yet.

5. Member
    Where are your "in boat" remotes being stored? I ask because I've heard of rough water causing the remote to bounce against something making it "double click" the down button. Try moving the remote(s) to another location.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Go out without the remotes and see if it happens.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Where are your "in boat" remotes being stored? I ask because I've heard of rough water causing the remote to bounce against something making it "double click" the down button. Try moving the remote(s) to another location.
    I have one mounted on the bow of the boat near the trolling motor and the other one mounted next to the throttle/gear shift lever. Both remotes are programmed to operate both talons and only one talon deploys itself.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie B View Post
    I have one mounted on the bow of the boat near the trolling motor and the other one mounted next to the throttle/gear shift lever. Both remotes are programmed to operate both talons and only one talon deploys itself.
    You have two talons so there is 4 remotes. Most keep the other "two" in the boat somewhere for spares. Where are they kept?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    You have two talons so there is 4 remotes. Most keep the other "two" in the boat somewhere for spares. Where are they kept?
    I keep the other two at home .

10. Member
    OK, next question. When it deploys on it's own, you had previously said it only does it while fishing and not when traveling. Is it disconnected from power while traveling? When it deploys, is it under power (motor running) or does just one stage drop down out of the Talon?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    OK, next question. When it deploys on it's own, you had previously said it only does it while fishing and not when traveling. Is it disconnected from power while traveling? When it deploys, is it under power (motor running) or does just one stage drop down out of the Talon?
    First, thank you for taking the time to help. It is not disconnected when I am traveling down the road, so I have been lucky it hasn't deployed there. It has happened while I was on the trolling motor and also while running the big engine. If I am in deep enough water it will deploy all the way.

12. Member
    Any quick disconnects??

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    Any quick disconnects??
    None

14. Member
    When it deploys, is it under power or just "fall down"?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

15. Member
    When it deploys, is it under power or just "fall down"?
    It starts up just like someone pushed the button.

16. Member
    Seeing what you've said here so far, I think you need to separate a few issues. I would erase all programmed remotes from the Talon so that none are programmed in.

If you could spend some time on the water confirm whether it self deploys or not, it would be great. If they deploy it leans towards a board / keypad issue as the possible cause. If it does not deploy, I'd be suspicious of a bad remote.

Program one remote only for your next trip. If everything is ok, add a second remote to check.

Curious, what model and version Talon do you have?

17. Member
    Minn Kota had me erase and re program all the remotes, which did not solve the problem. I have the first generation 8 ft talons. I would buy a new board in a heart beat if someone could tell me that would fix my problem. The board is 200 dollars and Minn Kota said they would not take it back if it did not fix the problem. I will have to wait for open water to try out what has been offered. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

18. Member
    Do you have anything else in the boat that is emitting a RF signal. Not sure the frequency the control board is on, but sounds like it's receiving a signal from something in the boat that is "on" while you're fishing.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

19. Member
    I would seriously consider adding a cutoff switch. I would never trailer my boat with power to the talon!

20. Member
    Do you have anything else in the boat that is emitting a RF signal. Not sure the frequency the control board is on, but sounds like it's receiving a signal from something in the boat that is "on" while you're fishing.
    I run 2 Humminbird Helix 7s and a Lowrance all at the same time. I use DI on the bow, SI at the counsel, and I run a map card in the Lowrance. I didnt think it was this because it only happens to one Talon and it always the same one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast