Thread: Talon Problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If its not doing it while traveling down the road or setting in the garage with the power on (you said there isn't a disconnect), then it is something to do with it receiving a signal. They may not be on the same frequency with each other. That's why you have to learn the remotes to each Talon. What trollingmotor do you have?
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

2. Banned
    Are there any other boats with Talons nearby when this happens?
    I was doing a weigh-in this summer; afterwards some of the guys said the Talon went up on it's own, and they waded out off the beach and pulled my boat back in. Turns out another boat somehow had the same frequency, lol. I reprogrammed my remote/Talon after that, lol.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    If its not doing it while traveling down the road or setting in the garage with the power on (you said there isn't a disconnect), then it is something to do with it receiving a signal. They may not be on the same frequency with each other. That's why you have to learn the remotes to each Talon. What trollingmotor do you have?
    I have a Motorguide x3 70 lb. And while the trolling motor was off and just running the big motor the pole has deployed itself. I erased and reprogrammed all the remotes, thats the one thing Minn Kota had me do, and it never took care of the problem. This has happened on small lakes when I am the only boat around, so another persons remote does not come into play. If I can convince Minnkota to send me a couple of remotes I will send these 4 back to them and see what happens.

4. Member
    When I mentioned the remotes, I meant to erase them all and not reprogram them back in, leave them all not paired and even at home. Simply then choose just one remote only and program your Talon(s) to run off that one single remote. If you have a remote issue, I would expect one of two scenarios :

1. You picked a good remote to program and the Talon will no longer self deploy

Or

2. You picked the bad remote and the talon or both if you have two, will self deploy

If they stop deploying, you can add a remote to the setup for another trip and so on until all are back in operation.

If you have the issue still, no matter which remote you use, then it is in the Talon itself or an outside signal like Jones says. However, I think they use a rolling code much like a garage door opener which is a binary code in the radio signal, that changes each time used. That's why your remote won't operate the neighbouring Talon unless it had been previously programmed to that Talon.

Kill all the other remotes and try just one, good luck.

Also, if you remove the fuse or breaker fuse from the inline fuse holder, you will turn your Talon off for transport while trailering.

5. Member
    Thank you Jones and Mark for your help. I will do the remotes this spring and report back. Have a Merry Christmas!!

6. Member
    Eddie do you have a remote vehicle starter key fob? Potential cross interference when a button on that is accidentally hit whether it be pocket or storage spot. Driving down the road it dangles an never hits anything. Not sure what a Talon remote frequency is, but key fob is 315Mhz. If the Talon is not 315Mhz, but if the key fob is the culprit then something is wrong with the Talon in regards to receiving and accepting that signal.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    Eddie do you have a remote vehicle starter key fob? Potential cross interference when a button on that is accidentally hit whether it be pocket or storage spot. Driving down the road it dangles an never hits anything. Not sure what a Talon remote frequency is, but key fob is 315Mhz. If the Talon is not 315Mhz, but if the key fob is the culprit then something is wrong with the Talon in regards to receiving and accepting that signal.
    No key fob involved, and thanks for the suggestion.

8. Member
    Leave all the remotes at home and go fishing. Then you will know if it's in the remotes or in the talon. If it doesn't happen without any remotes then do what Mark says, take one out and program both talons to it. See what happens and go from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12