Potential spawning grounds

When mapping for new smallmouth spawning grounds what's the minimum depth you look for that's near potential areas?? I'm talking about a lake that has water 30ft or more deep.
    I have no idea how far the sm travel to spawn or how deep their wintering grounds are.
    Last edited by steelebob; 12-11-2017 at 01:50 PM.

2. Member
    If you want to find them stacked up by the dozens, start at a MAX of 5' deep and go shallower. If you can find a big sandy flat with lots of rocks or logs in 5' or less, you're going to find smallies everywhere. They will spawn deep if the area, location, and structure is just right though. I have found a few beds in 25' of water on Newfound. Not many, but a few, they're very hard to find. I've found quite a few in the 10-12' range as well on Squam, bit easier to find them up there with the water clarity and bottom composition, it being a bit darker bottom, the beds stand out a lot easier. I've heard tell that the biggest fish will spawn earlier, and deeper, than everything else, and I'd believe it based on my own experiences.

When mapping for new smallmouth spawning grounds what's the minimum depth you look for
    The smart ass in me wants to say all the way to shore...

Are you looking for beds or staging fish?
    2020 Nitro Z20 - 250 hp Mercury ProXS 4 Stroke
    HDS Live 12 @ bow x 2 with Active Target
    HDS Live 12 @ console

Good question!!! In my "not so perfect mind" doesn't one lead to the other??? Is there that much distance between the two???

Do I have any idea how far they will/do travel? Nope.

I think the distance will be dictated by the actual contours. If they have ideal water to winter in close to the spawning waters then they aren't going far...but if the two are further apart with the nice contour "highway" to and from...then they will travel further.

I do have a few places that I have found prespawn fish on drops within 30Ft of the bedding area. But also have one in particular that they are about 200 yds from the flat. These are not wintering grounds but prespawn staging areas.
    Unfortunately for me, I have not dialed in the timing of the big girls. I have not given up on them though...I will keep working on unlocking that pc of the puzzle.
    HDS Live 12 @ console

C@met. Can we talk or PM each other?

Sure.
    HDS Live 12 @ console