Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lowrance vs humminbird

Okay guys bought a boat but it has no graphs so I’m trying to figure out which ones to go with. I’m between the helix 10’s not the MEGA though or the Lowrance hook 2 9 or12. SI is a must on the console but honestly I have never had it on the bow so I plan on whatever I put up there to just get away with DI and more importantly just really good regular sonar for drop shot. Putting one at bow and one at console. Which one me would you go with and why? I couldn’t find a thread with this topic but if there is one please let me know where so I can read up. Thanks
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

There are 390 posts about that topic:

http://www.bbcboards.net/search.php?searchid=12633871
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Between the helix and the hook2 that have been out a month?
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

The Helix 10 SI GPS which is the first generation model is discontinued and has been on close-out sale for a few months.
    The Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N is the only current SI model in that series.

In the DI version currently is the Helix 10 CHIRP DI GPS G2N and Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G2N. The Helix 10 DI GPS is discontinued like the SI and Sonar first generation models.

The current models have CHIRP sonar and CHIRP Imaging and can cross-share their sonar technologies via Ethernet.

All the above units have built-in Auto Chart Live contour mapping as well as support the 360 Imaging and the iPilot Link Minnkota trolling motors.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    The biggest issue with the hook series is they won't network so no sharing waypoints. For that reason only I would go with the helix. Both are capable of doing all the things you want sonar wise but not being able to network is a deal breaker

6. Member
    Lowrance is better on sonar.
    Humminbird is better at mapping.
    Bryan Thrift runs both, each doing the above and does not have an electronics sponsor because of that.
    Which do you value more?

7. Member
    Helix 10 Mega you will like them.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    What about Garmin echomap 93 and 73 series?

9. Member
    I love my new Helix 10s....great deals on them now. You should've bought my old graphs....might even have left the waypoints on there for you....lol.

Given what you are looking at the Helix 10’s - you can find great deals on close out and they are GREAT units. SI and Mapping is better and 2D very good.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

11. Member
    Your not comparing apples to apples. You should be comparing the Helix to the Lowrance Elite TI. That way, your comparing a unit with the ability to network / share waypoints. When you get into that, then you have a unit that networks and shares waypoints along with transducers (Helix) and one that just shares waypoints (EliteTI). But you get a touch unit (Elite TI) one one and a non touch (Helix) on the other. It depends on what you want and what your comfortable with. FWIW, the picture generated by the "Mega" unit compared to the picture generated by a 455/800 unit doesn't even come close to each other in quality.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Banned
    Garmin. I have not had the Mega on my boat but the pics looks great. I have run all 3 lowrance, bird and garmin. Each does something good. I run garmin now with panoptix and will never be without it again.. I finally have it setup right. If it were me I would get a unit that you could network. One transducer but 2 units sharing.

13. Banned
    Call each company's customer service department. Humminbird will walk you through every question you have, Lowrance will answer your questions like they're reading it off the back of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by tmusky1 View Post
    Call each company's customer service department. Humminbird will walk you through every question you have, Lowrance will answer your questions like they're reading it off the back of a cereal box.
    fixed it for ya
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Lowrance is better on sonar.
    Humminbird is better at mapping.
    Bryan Thrift runs both, each doing the above and does not have an electronics sponsor because of that.
    Which do you value more?
    Thrift runs Hummingbird for sidescan and Lowrance for 2D and mapping. If your running Navionics like he is, I don't really see how one brand is better than the other.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Thrift runs Hummingbird for sidescan and Lowrance for 2D and mapping. If your running Navionics like he is, I don't really see how one brand is better than the other.

cause lakemaster is more accurate that navioincs in most cases. IF they have your lakes covered in HD. The built in garmin maps are also excellent, IF they cover your lakes in max hd

17. Member
    I love my Helix. More user friendly to me.

And I have a Lowrance Hook 9 and it's just "ok" to me.
    Hi Mike.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    cause lakemaster is more accurate that navioincs in most cases. IF they have your lakes covered in HD. The built in garmin maps are also excellent, IF they cover your lakes in max hd
    Yes I get that but Thrift runs Navionics which runs on either. He must really prefer the 2D of Lowrance.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

19. Member
    over the years ive had 3 lowrance units just quit working.
    i have had a couple of hummingbirds and never had a problem
    just ordered a helix 7 for the front with no side or down scan or gps but it will work with the built in transducer in the ultrex.

20. Member
    My new Boat has 2 Helix units and 2 Lowrance Elite TI’s. I’m keeping what I have, but if I were to do it all over again I would have 4 Helix units.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast