Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What To do about filling gas tanks for the winter

I am pretty much done fishing until probably February, I currently have about 1/2 a tank of gas in the boat and it was treated with stabil and ring free when put in. I know back when I had my last boat, 1999 you just filled the tanks to the top and added the stabil. Not sure what to do with the ethanol gas, please help. BTW I have a 2017 Skeeter ZX 250/ Yamaha SHO with 21 hrs on motor. Thank you

Main thing is to make sure you've run the treated gas into the motor. Other than that, half will tell you to fill the tank and half will tell you not to. It's one of those bassboat owner classic dilemmas that will never be resolved. Just like, which style of motor support to use, motor rebuild or buy new, etc, etc,....

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Main thing is to make sure you've run the treated gas into the motor. Other than that, half will tell you to fill the tank and half will tell you not to. It's one of those bassboat owner classic dilemmas that will never be resolved. Just like, which style of motor support to use, motor rebuild or buy new, etc, etc,....
    This. ^ We had the same thread two weeks ago and it ran about 4 pages, after which the only conclusion to be drawn was that if you either did or didn’t fill your tank for winter storage, you would never in your life have a problem...
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Startron
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Sounds like a dang good excuse to go south for about a week in January..

6. Member
    When I was in New England My boat was kept outside and I filled both tanks full and treated the fuel. In KY my boat is garaged and I treat my fuel every time out and don't worry how much is in the tanks during periods of not using it.

7. Member
    Flip a coin. It's like 50-50 on what people do. I guess the best bet would be to fill them up and then drain them out in the spring. Run the old gas in a car or something.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Startron

100 % agree

Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Flip a coin. It's like 50-50 on what people do. I guess the best bet would be to fill them up and then drain them out in the spring. Run the old gas in a car or something.

I store my boat full every year with startron and run it in the spring.
    I have left it over a year and ran it no problem.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

I keep mine treated and full minus 4 to 5 gallons (50 gallons). Never had a problem in the Spring and can be used as backup fuel for my generator if needed.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

11. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    It's said that when it's filled it has little chance of forming condensation in the tank, hence, adding water to the fuel.. I too, when living in CT. I kept my tan k full for the winter with stabilizer and never had a problem.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

12. Banned
    the old way is to leave the tank empty. the new recommendation is to fill it up

I always put stabilezer in when fueling up regardless of the time of year just because you never know when something like getting hurt or any other unforeseen occurrence can happen resulting in your boat setting for months. Just put it in and don't worry about it.

14. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    I would rather have room for fresh gas in the spring than full tanks of old gas, even if treated. That said, I have a small 12V pump that I transfer gas to my truck if I'm the least bit concerned about the quality of fuel in the boat.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I always wonder about the tank full for no moisture, maybe with ethanol its true. The older tanks use to be metal and that created a condensation problem, I don't think newer plastic tanks have that problem as much.

Do what you want.
    Last edited by BMCD; 12-11-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. mikesxpress
    Only the facts.

A full fuel tank has approximately 2.70 square inches of exposed surface area at the fill hose/vent. Using a less than full bass boat fuel tank (25 gallons/24"X36") which would have 864 square inches of exposed fuel an example, you offer that much more opportunity for moisture absorption. Keep the tank(s) topped off.

Gasoline is a chemically blended/refined product.
    No form of pour in "additive" can alter it. That includes so called "stabilization and/or ethanol treatments". Mercury Marine has stated this many times and is consistent with keeping your fuel tanks full to reduce moisture absorption. (Mercury still offers there own product in this catagory as they too want a piece of this scare market) All of these additives aimed at ethanol corrective measures have the same thing in common. The warranty for the product covers the cost of the container you purchased. Nothing else. Gold Eagle MFG makes the majority of these products which is colored differently and packaged for each individual retailer.
    Octane booster/engine cleaner additives have been around much longer and the majority of them are alcohol based which does offer some carbon cleaning attributes but cannot be evenly disbursed in the fuel for the same reason above.

I keep all my fuel tanks full of 10% ethanol fuel on everything and don't have any water issues even with engines that remain idle for months at a time. I do top off the tanks due to evaporation throughout the storage periods.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Only the facts.

A full fuel tank has approximately 2.70 square inches of exposed surface area at the fill hose/vent. Using a less than full bass boat fuel tank (25 gallons/24"X36") which would have 864 square inches of exposed fuel an example, you offer that much more opportunity for moisture absorption. Keep the tank(s) topped off.

Gasoline is a chemically blended/refined product.
    No form of pour in "additive" can alter it. That includes so called "stabilization and/or ethanol treatments". Mercury Marine has stated this many times and is consistent with keeping your fuel tanks full to reduce moisture absorption. (Mercury still offers there own product in this catagory as they too want a piece of this scare market) All of these additives aimed at ethanol corrective measures have the same thing in common. The warranty for the product covers the cost of the container you purchased. Nothing else. Gold Eagle MFG makes the majority of these products which is colored differently and packaged for each individual retailer.
    Octane booster/engine cleaner additives have been around much longer and the majority of them are alcohol based which does offer some carbon cleaning attributes but cannot be evenly disbursed in the fuel for the same reason above.

I keep all my fuel tanks full of 10% ethanol fuel on everything and don't have any water issues even with engines that remain idle for months at a time. I do top off the tanks due to evaporation throughout the storage periods.
    So, you aren't using a fuel stabilizer, correct?

18. Member
    I HAVE KEPT MY FUEL TANKS AT HALF OR LESS FOR TWENTY YEARS AND JUST ADD FRESH GAS IN SPRING TIME THAT MIXES WITH TREATED GAS THAT SITS IN BOAT FROM nOV -APRIL. never ONCE A PROBLEM.

19. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    So, you aren't using a fuel stabilizer, correct?
    No I am not. Never have.

Water/moisture accumulation in the tank is what creates phase separation. Keep the moisture out. No issues. Ethanol is hydrophilic, which means ethanol holds water. With regular gasoline (E0) as well as E10, the primary cause of water collecting in tanks is condensation on tank walls. But unlike E0, which can absorb almost no moisture, E10 can hold up to half of one percent of water by volume, and the water molecules will dissolve in the fuel. The "solubilized" water will bypass the water separator and burn harmlessly through the engine. You get more than 1/2 of 1% built up then phase separation occurs. Stabilizers don't/can't prevent that. Keep the tank full. There is nothing you can add to the fuel to prevent moisture build-up.

Mass scare marketing for these stabilizer products has been far reaching and it's impossible for the consumer to find any reliable information as Gold Eagle (and others) advertising has all of the sites locked down with their paid ads.

It's Slick 50 all over again...

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    No I am not. Never have.

Water/moisture accumulation in the tank is what creates phase separation. Keep the moisture out. No issues. Ethanol is hydrophilic, which means ethanol holds water. With regular gasoline (E0) as well as E10, the primary cause of water collecting in tanks is condensation on tank walls. But unlike E0, which can absorb almost no moisture, E10 can hold up to half of one percent of water by volume, and the water molecules will dissolve in the fuel. The "solubilized" water will bypass the water separator and burn harmlessly through the engine. You get more than 1/2 of 1% built up then phase separation occurs. Stabilizers don't/can't prevent that. Keep the tank full. There is nothing you can add to the fuel to prevent moisture build-up.

Mass scare marketing for these stabilizer products has been far reaching and it's impossible for the consumer to find any reliable information as Gold Eagle (and others) advertising has all of the sites locked down with their paid ads.

It's Slick 50 all over again...
    But weren't fuel stabilizers around before ethanol? I guess I don't see fuel stabilizers as an ethanol-only/moisture prevention thing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast