Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    Yep. Gold Eagle has been around for 85+ years. Since 1932 they have been pumping out products.

What do you think a fuel "stabilizer" does? And how does it do it?

http://www.goldeagle.com/about/history/

http://fuelandfriction.com/weekend-w...el-stabilizer/

Exactly What is Stale Fuel?

How quickly can fuel go bad? Quality gasoline should be stable almost indefinitely if stored properly, however such storage must be in airtight containers in order to prevent oxidation or water vapors mixing into the blend.
    Again, understanding that vehicle and small engine fuel tanks are ‘vented’, this is simply not possible to store fuel for any length of time, especially during off season times. Also stable, cool temperatures need to be maintained indefinitely so that gums and solids will not form in the tank. How many of us live in an environment where we always have stable, cool temperatures free from medium to higher humidity levels? Fuel is stable for up to 30 days after being pumped from a good, high volume source. After that fuel starts to degrade and oxidize. In this process, fuel begins to varnish at some point and left untreated, can turn to gum and clog openings in your fuel system which make your vehicle unable to start or run very well at all.

3. mikesxpress
    As noted previously, these sites all have paid advertising from the sellers of the products in question. Including the one you linked too.
    Any research done like this is going to result in the obvious.

Yes all fuel tanks are vented. Keep the tank full to the neck and you have done all you can to keep the moisture out and this works very well for that. The degradation of E0/E10 fuel is not a concern of mine (or most folks) as all my gear is used/run at some point during a 12 month period and immediately topped off and stored again. Even the snow blower which I ran for a few minutes last year but never had to use it. Cranked it up 2 days ago and ran it again for a few minutes hoping I don't have to use it this year.

What do you think a fuel "stabilizer" does? And how does it do it?

4. Moderator
    Keep full and add Sta-Bil marine and your good

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    I HAVE KEPT MY FUEL TANKS AT HALF OR LESS FOR TWENTY YEARS AND JUST ADD FRESH GAS IN SPRING TIME THAT MIXES WITH TREATED GAS THAT SITS IN BOAT FROM nOV -APRIL. never ONCE A PROBLEM.
    I just double up on the ratio of Marine Stabil and Ringfree when I take boat out for last time in (usually) November to make sure engine is full of it. Never have worried about topping off tanks. Never have had a problem in Spring. Mikesexpress, I don't doubt anything you are saying, but, I can tell an improved difference in performance since I started using the Marine Stabil in my Yamaha and all the small engine gasoline. Probably just the cleaners in it that makes them all seem to run smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    What do you think a fuel "stabilizer" does?
    I think it stabilizes the fuel keeping it from oxidizing and degrading over time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    And how does it do it?
    Sorry. In my next life I plan to come back as a chemist.

I personally think I'm with the "that was intended for use with aluminum tanks" crowd, which is what almost everyone used back in the day. I think Phoenix still uses aluminum. The new poly tanks won't condensate and collect moisture on the surfaces like the metal tanks did sitting for long periods in extreme temp changes.

I also think that sitting (even with a cocktail) is bad. Empty tank for me in my plastic tank. From personal experience I've found that I have had more issues running cocktails than just pure non ethanol fuel with nothing added to it. So I don't like full tanks sitting around, even with the juice to it.

9. mikesxpress
    The tank material is irrelevant. If the tank is not full then condensation can form. Emptying the tank totally is another good option but very hard to do on a bass boat as the pickup is always a bit up off the bottom.

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Hate leaving gas in my boat. Ever notice how your lawn mower or whatever runs better with fresh gas??

11. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    I think it stabilizes the fuel keeping it from oxidizing and degrading over time.

Sorry. In my next life I plan to come back as a chemist.
    Cal that's exactly what most folks think.

12. mikesxpress

One more reveal on the additives and I will leave this alone. Allot of folks have bought into using the stuff and this will not change that.

As most end users of these additives are not familiar (most don't care) with chemistry or dissecting data from Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) I will break it down from available public information and you make your own determination. ME's like taking things apart and that includes data.

Sta-Bil Manufacturer Warranty Detail:
    100% Satisfaction Guarantee! If for ANY reason you are not satisfied with this item, you may return it within 90 days for a full refund or replacement.
    *Ok that's reasonable. Nothing about any engine damages or other but you can get your $20 back less postage.

MSDS for Sta-Bil *Had to really dig for this. Businesses that stock this stuff are required to have the MSDS in there right to know employee station(s).
    http://macaravehicle.com/wp-content/...Stabilizer.pdf

To determine composition of any product, look on the MSDS section 2 Composition, information on ingredients.
    5% of the product is listed as additive mixture. As it lists no CAS# it would be deemed unregulated (maybe inert?) and would be of no concern to
    National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) or CDC for the purpose of public safety or 1st responder awareness.

95% of the product is listed as petroleum distillate (derived from petroleum). They can call it what ever they want in text here but the CAS# 64742-47-8 listed tells you what it really is.

Here is the CAS info:
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html

Yep. Your reading it correctly. The product contains 95% deodorized kerosene.

Dollars to donuts
    $19.10 for 32oz of Sta-Bil Marine 360 at Ya'll-Mart or $63.09 for a gallon.
    K1 (not dyed) kerosene at the pump here in VA is about $2.64 a gallon at Southern States. Now this is kerosene that smells like kerosene so the plus up of $60.45 for the deodorized stuff is probably worth it???

Additive ratio for this Marine 360 stuff says 1 teaspoon per gallon or 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.
    Hummm? Last I checked 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons ???
    So you use less kerosene for more fuel. Interesting........

13. mikesxpress
    For the Mercury guys:

Make your own determination.......

Here is the link to the full sheets. http://legacy.mercurymarine.com/sds/?query=quickleen

829351 - Quicksilver
    Quickstor Fuel Stabilizer Issue Date: 03-Oct-2017 Page 2 Status:
    SECTION 3: Composition/information on ingredients Chemical Name CASRN Concentration¹
    Kerosine, petroleum 8008-20-6 50-75
    Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 25-50
    2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 1-2.5
    Naphthalene 91-20-3 1-2.5
    Xylenes (o-, m-, p- isomers) 1330-20-7 <1
    Solvent naphtha, petroleum, heavy aromatic

64742-94-5 <1

829348 - Quicksilver Quickcare Fuel System Treatment Issue Date: 03-Oct-2017 Page 2 Status
    SECTION 3: Composition/information on ingredients Chemical Name CASRN Concentration¹
    Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 70-80
    2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 10-20
    2,6-Di-tert-butylphenol 128-39-2 1-5
    Xylenes (o-, m-, p- isomers) 1330-20-7 1-5
    Paraffins, petroleum, normal C5-20 64771-72-8 1-5
    Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 <1

829350 - Quicksilver Quickleen Engine & Fuel System Cleaner Issue Date: 03-Oct-2017 Page 2 Status:
    Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 70-80
    Naphtha, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy 64742-48-9 1-5
    Paraffins, petroleum, normal C5-20 64771-72-8 1-5
    Xylenes (o-, m-, p- isomers) 1330-20-7 1-5
    Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 <1
    ¹ All concentrations are percent by weight unless ingredient is a gas. Gas concentrations are in percent by volume.

Not sure how anyone but a petroleum industry chemist could "make his/her own determination". Since I have absolutely no idea what these chemical ingredients are or what effect they might have on my motor, how could I possibly make a determination on whether they might be helpful or not? Percentage of concentration doesn't help either. You seem to be inferring that petroleum distillates (kerosene?) are useless but haven't explained why. Maybe a dumb question but how would I know? What if they are simply a vehicle for the delivery of the other ingredients which might be helpful, or, as a means to prevent over-application of lower percentage ingredients that could be harmful to the motor in too high of concentrations? What does napthalene do? Ethylbenzene? Butoxyethanol?

15. mikesxpress
    Cal your making this to hard.

I will only provide the base data for content as it was of interest to me and opted to share what I found with the folks here on BBC. Anyone that has a real interest in this will do the research on the CAS#'s and account for the concentration levels listed as some already have that contacted me. Others will justify the product use and that's OK too. I'm retired and have no hidden agenda inclusive of selling anyone anything.

FYI: Kerosene is a lubricant, not corrosive, not volatile, and extremely stable in storage. The specific gravity of kerosene is about 0.8, and its ignition point is more than 104 F. If you throw a match into a pool of kerosene it will put out the match. You can hold a match right up to the edge of a teaspoon half full of kerosene and it will not ignite.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I always wonder about the tank full for no moisture, maybe with ethanol its true. The older tanks use to be metal and that created a condensation problem, I don't think newer plastic tanks have that problem as much.

Do what you want.
    This. I still try to fill mine but it is more of what price is gas gonna be next spring and if nothing else I have fuel for the tractor and truck if I need some in a pinch.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

17. Member
    I just use up the gas and refill as needed. I also have non-ethanol gas so only add Yamaha Ringfree +.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12