Opinions on boat

I currently have a 99 tr18, and I am looking to get a bigger boat to be more competitive in college fishing. I want to step up to a 20-21 foot 06 or before triton and am curious just how big the differences are in say a tr20 and a tr20x. I love my boat but don't want to get stuck in rough water on a lake like Toledo bend

2. Member
    I had a 2000 TR-21 DC w/ 225 Opti. It handled rough water great. Never had a problem and it was fast. I have 04 20x w/ 225Hpdi. It takes rough water great and is easy to fish. Not as much fun to drive and not even close for speed,

3. Member
    I also have a 2000 dual console TR 21. It will handle rough water pretty good, these older hulls are fast, good fishing platform
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

4. Member
    If I can find a good x hull would it be worth the extra over a tr hull? If so what makes it better? I don't want an x2 or x3 because they sacrifice too much speed.

I have a 20x3 with a 250XS and it handles rough water amazingly while keeping a dry ride. As far as speed goes last time out I did a little over 76, fastest I've been so far. Summer time with heat and humidity normal is 74-75, carrying 2 people 72-74 depending on the season and load. I know there are guys that want pure out speed but at my age I prefer the comfort of the x3 hull.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

I don't really see much difference in the TR-Series and the X-Series personally. I wouldn't shy away from a good condition 03/04 TR-20 or 04/05/06 TR-20X. 2004 was the last year of the TR series and in 04 I don't even think they made them the entire production year. The X did have a bigger rod organizer than the 2003 TR Series. But, the 2004 TR did have the same rod holder as the X-Series. I'm biased to 2004. That's what I have. I think any model 2004 is a keeper.

I will tell you this...If you learned to drive that 1999 TR-18 at WOT, you are going to love the 20's. You'll be able to drive any of them at WOT first try.

I think if you are going to be fishing a lot of lakes and big lakes that you are making a smart decision to go up to a 20 or 21 footer. But, make no mistake about it, when it's rough on Sam Rayburn or Toledo Bend....it's rough...and it doesn't really matter how big your boat is. You still have to know your limits. But, the extra length is really going to help on those mildly rough days vs. your current TR-18. That '99 TR-18 sure is a little pocket rocket though. I do miss mine when I'm running the narrow creeks in the river.

8. Member
    Are there any other differences between the tr model hulls? I know they upped the hp rating in 2001, but is a 2001 tr20 actually any bigger than a 99 tr20? Same with the tr21. I am partial to the tr hulls as well, partly because it took time to set up and learn to drive to their full potential.

I think there was a slight change in the hull in 2001 to go along with the HP change. I don't think there's any noticeable size difference, but I could be wrong. Eventually, they got the overflow location for the livewells figured out, so that, you didn't need a scupper valve installed on the outlet. Used to be a real pain (and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about as the 99 TR-18 has the same issue) when you launched your boat with livewells plugged, you'd get backflow from the overflow line dumping crap in your livewell. I think it's little things like that...that make up the differences in the years from 2001-2004.