Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the ultrex worth the extra money?

I am currently running a 2002 185 g3. I fish tva lakes so I fish current and I also dont mind fishing in wind. I'm trying to decide whether to go to a fortrex or the ultrex...my question is, is the ultrex worth the extra money? I'm looking at the 80 pound 24 volt which I believe will be plenty for my rig.

2. Member
    yes

uhhhh...hell yeah!!!
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

I would say yes. I know im gonna be looking really hard at one for my next TM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    YES!!

6. Member
    I’m getting out of a glass boat and buying a new crestliner VT 18. I’ve been pondering the same question. I ran a Minn Kota maxxum Pro on my Triton for years. Definitely getting the Fortrex ... but man if I’m buying a new rig I think I’d be mad at myself if I don’t buck up and get the Ultrex.

7. Member
    Last year I bought a Terrova for my boat. It is my first electric steer motor. It is nice for open water fishing, but for fishing shorelines, it is a nightmare. I would rather have the cable steer models. Years ago we used the hand steer models to avoid cable problems, now it is really much more complicated with this electronic technology. Sometimes simple is better.

8. Banned
    IT IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY (ALL CAPS ON PURPOSE)

9. Member
    I appreciate the responses. I have found a used one that has around 10 hours on it for about 450 dollars cheaper than I can find a new one. Is there anything i need to check for if i buy used? I thought I read awhile back about the ultrex foot pedal locking up and having to send it back. Is there a certain serial number I need to stay away from?

10. Member
    It would be nice if it had the newer circuit board in it. There is some numbers or dates that I think you can see on the board but I do not remember what they are.

11. Member
    Any idea on how much the new circuit board would be if it were the faulty one?

12. Member
    Check with board sponsor Jones Trolling Motor on the price of the board. If my MK digital 70 ever dies or I decide to come off 2 grand I’ll have the Ultrex! I’ve only used it once and was impressed!!

I dont have one yet and Im saying yes!
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    I dont have one yet and Im saying yes!
    I don't have one either but I think it is. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a talon or if an ultrex is the better option.

I've been running one since September on my RT188. I say it is for sure worth the extra money. Best fishing purchase I have ever made. I always said the 360 was my best money I had spent but that changed real quick after installing the Ultrex.
    2015 RT188 Mercury 4 Stroke Laser II 21P
    Helix 12/360 Imaging/Dual Helix 10's/Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by rookie22 View Post
    Any idea on how much the new circuit board would be if it were the faulty one?

Zero, if you have issues it is a warranty replacement. If you have any other issues and have the older board within the serial number range, it will be replaced when those other issues are fixed. Not all are faulty.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I like mine awful well!

18. Member
    Yes!
    ive had mine since early March. Not sure how many hours I have on it but I have about 73 hours on my Merc. I prob have 2 or 3 times more hours than that on the troller.
    I’ve spotlocked in 15mph winds while on the Detroit and St. Clair rivers. I haven’t had any issues with my Ultrex, yet. I was afraid that I was gonna have to deal with frozen pedals and other things mentioned but it’s been going strong without any hiccups.

19. Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoen View Post
    I’m getting out of a glass boat and buying a new crestliner VT 18. I’ve been pondering the same question. I ran a Minn Kota maxxum Pro on my Triton for years. Definitely getting the Fortrex ... but man if I’m buying a new rig I think I’d be mad at myself if I don’t buck up and get the Ultrex.

I don't know if this applies to you but someone was saying the other day that you can't put power poles on the VT model without voiding the warranty... only the PT model. I don't know the validity of this but if you're wanting poles it'll be worth checking on.

20. Member
    I sure hope so.I just added 1 to my boat
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast