Chip and crack in flake

It uploaded the pictures upside down...

But I just found these chips and the crack in the crease. This is on the front deck - port side. Definitely is an old repair job. My guess is it was weak and vulnerable and my rods bounced against them in hard water?

Anyhow, my main questions are:

1. How severe is this?
    2. Is this a DIY repair?
    3. Should I be concerned enough with this not to go fishing until it is fixed?
    4. Any idea of a ballpark repair cost if I had a glass guy do it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

1. How severe is this? Hard to tell from pics. Guessing they're about fingernail sized, definitely fixable.

2. Is this a DIY repair? Yes - assuming you are somewhat methodical have a bit of patience, and can get a match on the base gelcoat (black?) and replacement polyflake.

3. Should I be concerned enough with this not to go fishing until it is fixed? If it's on the inside of the gunwale - not serious. The boat won't sink. If there are glass fibers exposed, put some clear packing tape over the spot to keep water out of it & keep on fishing a couple days until it's fixed. Even clear nail polish will work as a temporary sealer. Just grind it out later when the actual repair is made.

4. Any idea of a ballpark repair cost if I had a glass guy do it? Couple hundred to over a grand - quotes can vary wildly... all depends on who you find.
    I'd suggest you try fixing one of the lighter scratches yourself with clear gelcoat first and gauge your DIY interest/skill. Then decide if you want to pay someone else to do the rest.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=482762

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    1. How severe is this? Hard to tell from pics. Guessing they're about fingernail sized, definitely fixable.

2. Is this a DIY repair? Yes - assuming you are somewhat methodical have a bit of patience, and can get a match on the base gelcoat (black?) and replacement polyflake.

3. Should I be concerned enough with this not to go fishing until it is fixed? If it's on the inside of the gunwale - not serious. The boat won't sink. If there are glass fibers exposed, put some clear packing tape over the spot to keep water out of it & keep on fishing a couple days until it's fixed. Even clear nail polish will work as a temporary sealer. Just grind it out later when the actual repair is made.

4. Any idea of a ballpark repair cost if I had a glass guy do it? Couple hundred to over a grand - quotes can vary wildly... all depends on who you find.
    I'd suggest you try fixing one of the lighter scratches yourself with clear gelcoat first and gauge your DIY interest/skill. Then decide if you want to pay someone else to do the rest.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=482762

Roger that - and thanks. You pretty much affirmed what I had decided on after pondering over the situation for a few days and a few youtube videos later.

I will definitely take on the task on one of the smaller chips first. And thank you for the tips for a temporary band-aid. They are in-fact inside the gunwale.

I think you are right...with some patience...replacement polyflake (Ranger should have that, no?).....base gel coat (yes sir, black)...and my dremel tool to help prep and sand the crack in the seam...I can manage to fix this myself.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles