Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

2. Banned
    I have some th marine pegs and turning stops if anyone wants them, 15.00 shipped. The pegs are the metal ones bushed one side fits merc etc the other honda. the turning stops have a rope between them.

I'm of the belief that today's transoms are built to withstand the forces of a outboard pushing a boat in excess of 70 MPH and therefore can easily take trailering. Also when I spoke to factory reps at both Ranger and Phoenix they both said there is no need to support the motor with a transom saver.
    Maybe Basscat's transoms aren't built to withstand the same. If that's what they say.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    So, now I have to ask;

Why did the Ranger boat have it's motor and transom fall off?

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    So, now I have to ask;

Why did the Ranger boat have it's motor and transom fall off?

who cares about a ski fish pos ranger

Where to hell did all that water come from. Obviously there are bigger problems than transom strength at question.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

7. Member
    It was my understanding that the boat was in the water and running.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

8. Member
    When I picked up my boat from the dealer it had motor sticks but was told by other people to get the motor mate. Well half way through the fishing season one day I got home from the lake and the motor mate was hanging down. I don't know if I was careless and did not put the motor down far enough or some how it worked its way free but either way I don't want to take any risks so I use the motor sticks less margin for error

9. Member
    I have had the motormate on my last 2 boats. I put a lot of miles on my trailer on some crappy roads and have never had a problem. There is ZERO movement at the motor which is something I can't say with the transom saver. If you use any product improperly don't blame a problem in the product it's operator error.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

10. Member
    It looks like from the picture that is a big jackplate on an older ranger boat. My guess is someone put a bigger jackplate than the transom was designed to handle. After all torque is force times distance. As the the jackplate size increased the torque also increased and the transom failed. Being an older ranger boat it most likely wasn't designed to handle that large of a plate. Of course this is all speculation. Anyway it would make for a really bad day of fishing

11. Member
    I've also used both both a transom saver and a motormate. I prefer the motormate as its small, easy to use, and there is no movement. If they made them for the Verado I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The Verado has a small kickstand built into it for travel, its given me no issues so far but I would feel a lot more secure with a more solid attachment.

12. Member
    Looks like to me the transoms are extremely strong and can take a ridiculous amount of abuse from forces in all
    kind of directions. I am an engineer and would hate to try and design a transom to take the forces from running on the
    water and being trailered. Some extremely different types of forces to consider in design phase.
    I would think they have designed in both extremes without any additional devices needed.

Seems like other towing devices would be mainly helpful in protecting trim and steering hydraulic cylinders.

Anybody know if this is the case?

It totally amazes me how much abuse the modern bass boat can tolerate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123