Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Yep, my new boat needs the rigging tube replaced as well due to trimming high. I ordered a motormate yesterday.

Once you get the motormate you can still tilt it too high. If you tilt just enough to get the ends on the motor first then you can put the ears in the mount. If you put the ears in first you have to tilt a little higher.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

3. Scraps
    Motormate. I didn't like carrying the two pieces of PVC as opposed to just one Motormate. Dealer told me only one piece of PVC is needed but I didn't like that idea.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by duncankopprichardson View Post
    Yep, my new boat needs the rigging tube replaced as well due to trimming high. I ordered a motormate yesterday.
    the tube is too long from the factory, mine was torn. I cut it shorter and it hasnt re torn since.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    There isn't two ways to look at it:
    When the boat is on the trailer bunks, they become one unit. Any upward or downward movement happens to the boat/trailer at exactly the same time. The transom saver does not transmit upward movement to the motor/transom; that upward movement is already there. But should the motor bounce over a bigger bump, the downward bounce is absorbed by the trailer, through the transom saver.
    Regarding the seals and cylinder, you must be extremely unlucky, because the transom saver had nothing to do with it. There's no mechanical basis to explain how a transom saver that will allow a motor to turn VERY slightly, if at all, can ruin seals.
    Bass Cat Boats recommends the transom savers for the reasons above, regardless of the brand of motor.
    Dealers don't recommend the transom saver because you can buy it at Walmart for $30.
    Transom savers do nothing for side to side movement of the motor and the vertical movement force is on weaker part than the motor mounts. Old motor had slight depressions caused by transom saver. Did not ever cause an issue but it shouldn't happen from something designed to protect the motor. Motormate puts the force on the mounts and prevents any vertical and horizontal movement. If you are worried about strain on the actual transom of the boat I assure you the forces aren't as great as when it's pushing the boat at WOT or in heavy waves. No issues with motormate nor have I ever seen one. It's the way to go.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfrench085 View Post
    1. Transom savers do nothing for side to side movement of the motor and the vertical movement force is on weaker part than the motor mounts. 2. Old motor had slight depressions caused by transom saver. Did not ever cause an issue but it shouldn't happen from something designed to protect the motor. Motormate puts the force on the mounts and prevents any vertical and horizontal movement. If you are worried about strain on the actual transom of the boat I assure you the forces aren't as great as when it's pushing the boat at WOT or in heavy waves. No issues with motormate nor have I ever seen one. It's the way to go.
    1. You must have never used a transom saver, or at least the right transom saver, if your motor could steer from side-to-side with it in place.
    2. The transom saver put dents in the lower unit?? But could still steer from side-to-side??
    Better contact Bass Cat Boats, and let them know they're giving people bad advice.

The best resolution to this argument is to see each one , in use, in person. Get someone to install a transom saver, and then follow them on a bumpy road, cross a few bridges, etc., observing the movement of the motor. Then do the same with a motormate. You will see the difference. The Motormate is very stable with no movement, and the transom saver is allowing the motor to bounce and shake side to side. I have done this to prove the point. I didn't video, because I don't work for motormate. But, after using motormate for over 7 years, no problems. Nothing else will go on my boats.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    The best resolution to this argument is to see each one , in use, in person. Get someone to install a transom saver, and then follow them on a bumpy road, cross a few bridges, etc., observing the movement of the motor. Then do the same with a motormate. You will see the difference. The Motormate is very stable with no movement, and the transom saver is allowing the motor to bounce and shake side to side. I have done this to prove the point. I didn't video, because I don't work for motormate. But, after using motormate for over 7 years, no problems. Nothing else will go on my boats.
    You had better do some more following.
    Ask someone with a reasonable mechanical aptitude, or a mechanical engineer, to compare the two systems. The Motormate physically does nothing to stop bouncing on rough roads, all it can do is stop the motor from turning. A transom saver will stop both, and distribute any bounce forces to the trailer rather than the transom of the boat.
    But, the MotorMate is pretty and shiny, and expensive. All the things us bass boat owners love.
    And again, regardless of the motor brand, Rick Pierce at Bass Cat Boats recommends the lowly transom saver, because it works as designed and reduces the load on the transom if the road is really rough.

You had better do some more following.
    Ask someone with a reasonable mechanical aptitude, or a mechanical engineer, to compare the two systems. The Motormate physically does nothing to stop bouncing on rough roads, all it can do is stop the motor from turning. A transom saver will stop both, and distribute any bounce forces to the trailer rather than the transom of the boat.
    But, the MotorMate is pretty and shiny, and expensive. All the things us bass boat owners love.
    And again, regardless of the motor brand, Rick Pierce at Bass Cat Boats recommends the lowly transom saver, because it works as designed and reduces the load on the transom if the road is really rough.
    Why don't you take your Bass CAT BS to the Bass Cat forum. The OP did not ask about transom savers, only Motormate and pvc. Enjoy your transom saver, you don't know what you are talking about.

Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

11. Member
    Here’s another option. I’ve used on my last 3 Phoenix boats with no issues. Centering clips hinder side-side movement.

http://www.m-ywedge.com/

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    Why don't you take your Bass CAT BS to the Bass Cat forum. The OP did not ask about transom savers, only Motormate and pvc. Enjoy your transom saver, you don't know what you are talking about.
    I merely pointed out one other option. When someone said transom savers don't work, I pointed out where they were wrong. The MotorMate comes in a distant second.
    Common sense and a good mechanical aptitude tells you which motor support actually does work. I can explain it to you, but you have to be the one to understand it. Find someone with a mechanical aptitude to explain it, and you might be enlightened.
    You can think you know more about the subject than a well known, well respected boat building company, but you would be wrong.

You really have been brain washed.

I merely pointed out one other option. When someone said transom savers don't work, I pointed out where they were wrong. The MotorMate comes in a distant second.
    Common sense and a good mechanical aptitude tells you which motor support actually does work. I can explain it to you, but you have to be the one to understand it. Find someone with a mechanical aptitude to explain it, and you might be enlightened.
    You can think you know more about the subject than a well known, well respected boat building company, but you would be wrong.
    I guess that mechanical aptitude also applied to Bass Cat when they were against foot throttles. Someone with common sense won out, because the vast majority of bass boats now run foot throttles. Maybe you can get someone with mechanical aptitude to explain that to you. But, you have to understand it.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by laposta28 View Post
    Here’s another option. I’ve used on my last 3 Phoenix boats with no issues. Centering clips hinder side-side movement.

http://www.m-ywedge.com/
    Thats already listed here, thats just referenced here as a piece of pvc... most people use two on on each post and two centering clips.. so 4 items to put in place each time...

16. Member
    Not to bring up old history, but I think the age old debate of redistributing a motors self weight to take the load off the trim vs. using the trailer to take the load off the transom has been debated in great detail. I bought a motormate after reviewing the comments. Thank you for the input.

17. Member
    1. You must have never used a transom saver, or at least the right transom saver, if your motor could steer from side-to-side with it in place.
    2. The transom saver put dents in the lower unit?? But could still steer from side-to-side??
    Better contact Bass Cat Boats, and let them know they're giving people bad advice.
    1. Told you what happened. I’m sorry you don’t like the answer.
    Is this not a transom saver?

2. Yes. Happened from movement of the motor best guess. Never tried steering it stowed (why would anyone? Sounds like a great way to cause damage) Bass Cat doesn’t have a dog in this fight. That was a Ranger and you’re on the Phoenix board.

Maybe Your mechanical aptitude can answer this. If your boat isn’t tightly and fully against the bow roller, but on the trailer, and you decide to stop suddenly... even though the boat/trailer is “one unit” as you say... could the top (boat) half of said unit slide forward slightly unless the rear straps are perpendicular (shortest distance) or leaning to the direction of travel? Would this movement have a negative effect on the level of strain on a transom saver/transom/lower unit? Is there a device already available that would not apply the same forces but attaches to a stronger part of said motor? Is there a device that also does not allow lateral forces that can negatively effect things such as steering? How much force is required to push a 2000 lb boat at 70 mph? How does this number compare to the force of a motor being bounced from say 1 inch (big bump in the road) on a transom. And... since the forces aren’t exactly the same as the differ in the direction they are being applied, would rough water running provide likely greater force than that bounce? My mechanical aptitude is surely not to your lofty prestige. I await your expert opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cfrench085; 12-14-2017 at 12:23 AM.

18. Banned
    Try steering it stored (within reason) with a transom saver. It can barely move. If you're worried about breaking something on an outboard motor, then you have way bigger problems.
    Here's a simple question: how does the MotorMate stop the bouncing effect, and the resulting stress on the transom through the motor mount? The design and the way it mounts says does nothing for the transom.
    The motor mount is not at risk, the transom is. The MotorMate does nothing for the boat.

19. Banned
    neither do anything for the transom. they are named incorrect as neither is intended to 'save the transom'

20. Member
    They all do their job. I've used a transom saver, a motor mate, and I currently use the 1 stick and centering clips that came with my 721. I prefer the motor mate for ease of install/removal and the fact that there is no way the motor is turning even the slightest. If I hit a pot hole on the interstate with a motor mate and the transom crumbles there was something wrong with the boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast