Nissan Titan Owners: Past and Present

Been looking at buying a new or newer truck. Since then, there have been several threads on Ford F-150, Ram 1500, and latest was/is the Tundra Thread.

All have been good stuff and good reading.

So what about the Titan? First time I took a real look at one was when coming out of a gas stop when traveling and one was parked next to me. First thing I noticed was that Big Chrome Grill. Thought it was a Ford until I was setting in my SUV and I looked over again and realized it wasn't. Had to get out and take a look to see what it was.

Since then and after looking into them some, the seem to be a very nice truck. Decent mileage good power from what I can find. Good options included. So what about Real World Use?

Anybody have any imput on owning one and the Pros/Cons?

Thanks.

2. Member
    I have a 2009 Pro-4X with 110,000 miles. I have pulled bass boats all over Texas. Have never had it in the shop. Gas mileage sucks.

3. Member
    My son in law has a 2017 model and he lives in Alaska. I have ridden in it several times and it rides good and is a powerful truck. It gets 12 -14 around town and 16 if you baby it on the highway. It is a nice truck and has a great warranty. His has a gas engine, not the new diesel.

4. Member
    I just purchased the 2017 Titan pro 4x in October. Really like truck, pulls boat fine and my 8000 lb rv. Only complaint is the gas mileage. It does love gas. rides very well on highway and city speeds. have 2000 miles on it now, I'm hoping the gas mileage will get better with more miles driven

5. Member
    I have a 2008 142,000 miles. It's been a good truck.

I had the first one on the lot at my dealer. Never a problem with it and it was very capable but i didnt keep it 20,000 mi because of the gas mileage. It was so horrible like 8-10 city

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

7. Member
    I have a 2008 with 125k miles on it. Never bee. To the shop for anything other than tires. Love it.

I've got 17 XD diesel Platinum Reserve and absolutely love it. It gets between 20-23 on hwy and 16-19 in town. Super comfortable. I've had Rams,GMCs,Chevys,and Fords. Diesels and gas. This XD fits exactly what we needed. It's a OVERBUILT 1/2 ton with the Max tow pkg. A 1/2 ton with a max tow pkg can pull 12k lbs but could it every day? Maybe ,maybe not. This thing can everyday day in day out. It's got the same Eisen trans they put in a RAM S/D 2500 & 3500. Same rearend they put in a Chevy 3500. I'm not loyal to any brand. I thought I'd give Nissan a try and I'm glad I did.

9. Member
    While the Tundra was the most reliable FS truck I've ever owned my 07 Titan was the least reliable. In 20,000 miles I went through two rear ends. They were priced right back then, I'll give them that.

I just picked up my '17 Platinum Reserve 4x4 a couple weeks ago. I only have 500 miles on it and no towing yet, but I really like it. Power is about on par with my '09 Tundra and mileage just a tad better. Averaging 15 combined city/highway vs 13 with the Tundra. But hey it's a full size truck with a gas hungry V-8. There are some really good deals going on for the '17 models, but if you need a VPP code hit me up.

11. Banned
    I'm normally not a negative person but I just traded in my 2006 Titan for a 2017 Ram 1500
    I've been driving since the late 60's and the Titan was the overall worst quality vehicle I ever owned. I bought it used with 38,000 miles and traded it with 126,000 miles. I'm very easy on my vehicles and this truck began to have a series of issues right off the bat. Although I never had any major engine failures everything else on the truck had some type of issue, really irritating stuff. Every sensor failed at one time or another. The a/c cooled fine...just had one fan speed and the part to fix it is discounted. I could fill a entire page of stuff, but the final blow was when the guy at the dealer came out to look at it to give me a figure for trade in THE FRIGGIN THING WOULDN'T START!!! I was never so happy to get rid of a vehicle in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    I'm normally not a negative person but I just traded in my 2006 Titan for a 2017 Ram 1500
    I've been driving since the late 60's and the Titan was the overall worst quality vehicle I ever owned. I bought it used with 38,000 miles and traded it with 126,000 miles. I'm very easy on my vehicles and this truck began to have a series of issues right off the bat. Although I never had any major engine failures everything else on the truck had some type of issue, really irritating stuff. Every sensor failed at one time or another. The a/c cooled fine...just had one fan speed and the part to fix it is discounted. I could fill a entire page of stuff, but the final blow was when the guy at the dealer came out to look at it to give me a figure for trade in THE FRIGGIN THING WOULDN'T START!!! I was never so happy to get rid of a vehicle in my life.
    +1. The 07 titan I had for 3 years was the biggest joke of a "truck" I've ever owned. You couldn't tow the boat 50 miles without something breaking. Horrible quality, and I don't have enough time to list all the problems I had with that truck. Most of them should have been recalls due to manufacturer error... literally EVERYONE was having the same problems (cracked manifolds, rear axle seal failures, etc.) Nissan did absolutely nothing. Never again.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    Currently own a '16 Pro 4X with the diesel as well. Overall, it's a descent truck and took Nissan a year or so to work out some of the bugs with it. One of the biggest complains was how rough the AISIN transmission shifted which was fixed through a series of software flashes. Another issue is that people complained about it that it didn't accelerate very past (mostly 1st time diesel owners) and again, that fixed with a ECM update and not it drives much better. If you look at the specs of truck or diesel engine, it's equivalent to what a 3/4 ton was back in the early 2000's, but with a smoother ride. Interior wise, I think Nissan has the most comfortable seats out there compared to the Rams & F150s that I've owned. Plus I appreciate the simplicity of the dash and heater controls. The older I get, I'm not a fan of the big touch screens in vehicles these days that control everything.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

14. Member
    I have a 2012 with 213000 Kms on it (130000 miles) and it's been a good truck. Done some work to it (brakes, 2 calipers, u joints, a wheel bearing and exhaust). Tows really good but milage isn't great. I'm trying to convince myself that I need a new XD (been trying to make a deal on a Platinum Reserve gas model but the dealer is out to lunch on price) because for some reason I just don't like the new half ton version. It sits really low and after driving one it feels like they have made them more for city driving than towing. It feels like it really needs to be revving high for the power and torque to kick in. I have a couple friends with the diesel XD's and they really like them. One has a tuner and exhaust on it and he said it really livened up the truck and made it better on fuel too. I just don't have the need for a diesel that's why I've been looking at the gas version. I'm kind of disappointed at some of the mileage claims though that some folks in this thread are seeing with them.

15. Member
    Yeah the mileage claims seem much lower than advertised. Like 19-20 mpg with gas engines. Yet guys here are saying 14-16 for the most part.

But then again my 1999 Dodge Dakota with the Magnum V8 only got 13 mpg on a good day.

16. Banned
    But then again my 1999 Dodge Dakota with the Magnum V8 only got 13 mpg on a good day.
    My 2017 Hemi is getting just over 20 mph!!! Now, I drive like an old lady and the roads around here aren't exactly a typical city and not highway either. mostly 35-45-55 mph zones with few stop signs or lights. Titan was getting around 16 or so.

17. Member
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/titan

Millions of miles tracked on the Titan. Expect 13 overall on the old body style and maybe 14 on the new ones.

18. Member
    I've had 2. 2012 that was a great truck until I totaled it. Have a 2015 with 33k k miles and if has been flawless. Comfortable ride, seats and a huge back seat that can handle 3 average people or 2 huge people get comfortably. Great handling and very quick. Not as much power as the other half ton trucks (317hp) but plenty of power. Towed my Champion 198 easily. Fuel mileage sucks like all of the others but we don't buy them for the mileage. Of all of the trucks I have owned, it has been my favorite
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

19. Member
    Got an 04 with 226k been all pros thus far. The only concern is the electrical system is way over engineered I wouldnt have a push button 4wd again. If the abs light is on from a faulty wheel sensor it won't go into 4wd without pulling the fuse to abs
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"