Banned

Auto bilge question

Boat is a 2015 118c. I have noticed when I press the auto bilge button the pump comes on. Previous boat had a separate bilge float switch. Does this pump on Ranger have an internal float built into the pump or separate float switch? Any insight appreciated.

Both my Rangers have done that...my 07 pump had a float switch as well, so i guess its controlled two ways?

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Both my Rangers have done that...my 07 pump had a float switch as well, so i guess its controlled two ways?
    Doesn't the auto bilge button have to be "on" in order for the float switch to function?

No sir...the float completes a hot circuit when water raises it in the pump housing. As I understand it..Your auto bilge should work even when the power is off on your boat...as long as your main breaker is not tripped.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    No sir...the float completes a hot circuit when water raises it in the pump housing. As I understand it..Your auto bilge should work even when the power is off on your boat...as long as your main breaker is not tripped.
    Makes sense thanks Dean

Heres how the wiring looks for your bilge system...this is straight off a mid 2000's Z commanche wiring diagram.

7. Member
    It works AUTOMATICALLY when needed float is for water detection . When you turn the switch on it is in manual mode.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rng518 View Post
    It works AUTOMATICALLY when needed float is for water detection . When you turn the switch on it is in manual mode.
    ^^^^ This. You may run both pumps at once non-stop (manually) if you need to when you spear a wave or are in very rough conditions with rain.

M

How many bilge pumps do you have?? If your boat came standard with two pumps or you ordered the auto bilge option the automatic bilge pump is more then likely a Rule-Mate 750 which has an internal sensor that turns on when water reaches a certain level on it's own. The switch turns on your manual bilge pump which is usually a Rule 700 manual or both pumps depending on how it was wired because the auto bilge Rule-Mate does have a manual override available. How many outlets you have on your rear deck will tell what you have without removing a bunch of stuff from the bilge area to see. If there are 3 and you have pumpout then you have two bilge pumps. If you have 2 and have pumpout then you only have one pump. If you have two with no pumpout then you have two pumps. The easiest way to check operation I have found on a 118 is with two people put in your hull drain plug and to avoid a mishap in the bilge area with a water hose around all those electrical connections is crank your trailer wheel so the boat is tilted a little not a lot take your garden hose and put water in your cooler which will drain into the bilge have a person with a flashlight watching the water level in the bilge area so you don't over flow to high and test the pumps the auto obviously should turn itself on-off flip the switch to test your manual pump. If you store your boat outside test when it's not going below freezing for a couple days to let your bilge dry out.
    Last edited by bassbama; 12-09-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"