Thread: Drop Shot ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    The one DS rod, I use (two) circle hooks, which then requires that they be nose hooked. The other DS rod, I use either a Gamakatsu EWG or a Roboworm hook, rigged weedless. I use a finesse jig on the bottom of that one, instead of a typical DS weight. Three hooks is legal here (and in most states), so why only use one hook? I'm not convinced that I'll be able to deal with three hooks, but I'd like to.
    What do you mean by using 2 hook? Im interested in that

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    What hook do you perfer ? Do you nose hook or tx rig ?
    I use an Owner Mosquito #1 circle hook... rigging depends on the bait I am using.

3. Member
    Owner dropshot hook for wacky rigs and a trokar finesse hook for Texas rigged
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

Quote Originally Posted by Badfish.rb View Post
    What do you mean by using 2 hook? Im interested in that

Two hooks, one above the other, weight on the bottom. My reasoning is that I might learn how far off the bottom the fish want the bait, plus the joy of a two-fer. But then, how long a cast changes that anyway. I do underhand pitches with a DS rig...good for at least 35 or 40 feet without a lot of effort.

It happens that I've considered using a Shaky Head on the bottom, but haven't yet. Good to hear that somebody else (Mingo72) is thinking outside the box. The thing to consider is the amount of power it's going to take to get the hookset accomplished. One fish may not be too difficult, but a second fish might not get the hook well enough. With circle hooks, two or three fish shouldn't be a problem.

5. Member

Two hooks, one above the other, weight on the bottom. My reasoning is that I might learn how far off the bottom the fish want the bait, plus the joy of a two-fer. But then, how long a cast changes that anyway. I do underhand pitches with a DS rig...good for at least 35 or 40 feet without a lot of effort.

It happens that I've considered using a Shaky Head on the bottom, but haven't yet. Good to hear that somebody else (Mingo72) is thinking outside the box. The thing to consider is the amount of power it's going to take to get the hookset accomplished. One fish may not be too difficult, but a second fish might not get the hook well enough. With circle hooks, two or three fish shouldn't be a problem.
    Awesome thanks! Honestly i do it all the time crappie fishing. All my spider rigging poles have 2 hooks. Never thought about doing it drop shoting. Appreciate the info i will be trying it next time!

Gamakatsu 1/0 Swivel Shot. Eliminates any line twist. Usually nose hooked. Your line and the swivel keeps the hook practically weedless. Hard to beat a 4 in straight tail Robo Worm, 4 in Strike King dream shot, or my favorite...3 in Poor Boys Erie Darter. Maybe 20% of the time I will wacky rig a Robo Worm, Senko, or Ocho on the same hook.
    Last edited by dwbeck2; 12-31-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    Dan Beck
    2013 Ranger Z119/SHO 200

7. Member

it'll work
    Last edited by ridgerunner11; 02-04-2018 at 11:09 PM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    neko rig hooks from vmc
    Yep gotta agree... Only thing I use little ds hooks for anymore is to loan out to non boaters
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Gamakatsu Swivel Shot G-Finesse Drop Shot in 1/0 and 2/0. 1/0 for shad shape worms and 2/0 for z too’s. Both nose hooked.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney_h View Post
    Gamakatsu Drop/Split Shot Hooks size 4 nose hooked.
    Hard to beat these for drop shot in my book. I use a 1/0 most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    Hard to beat these for drop shot in my book. I use a 1/0 most of the time.
    Same here. Had a buddy turn me on to bigger hooks and I've been very happy. No fewer bites that I've noticed, and much higher hookup and landing percentages.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Same here. Had a buddy turn me on to bigger hooks and I've been very happy. No fewer bites that I've noticed, and much higher hookup and landing percentages.
    A bigger hook does increase hookup and landing percentage. If I get a bite I rarely loose a fish. Another thing I've also noticed with a bigger hook is the hook doesn't get in the gills of the fish.. When I used smaller hooks this was a problem for me.

13. Member
    #1 Gamakatsu circle hook is my preferred with finesse type baits, nose hooked. With a very skinny 4 inch worm, I might go #2. Sometimes I drop shot a tube, and if it has a fairly meaty diameter, I will go up to a 1/0.

^^^^ My exact set up.

Gamakatsu drop/split shot hook, 1/0. Nose hooked Robo worm 99% of the time. Suffix 832, 10# to a leader of 8# Invisx. Put this all on a St Croix Legend Tournament drop shot rod with a Shimano Stradic reel. And I'm a happy man.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

15. Member
    Size 1 or 2 gamakatsu splitshot/dropshot for open water, and roboworm rebarb in 1/0 or size 1 for any type of grass or wood.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12