225 SHO on Stroker?

So, I failed to find this in a search here.

Curious as to how a Stroker with a 225 SHO would perform with stock motor (mounts, lower unit, etc)?

Then of course, I assume you could flash the motor to upgrade to 250 performance, but again, would the stock parts (mounts, l/u, etc.) be limiting any gains versus the money invested?

I guess bottom line is a 225 SHO and a Stroker a package one would be satisfied with without the over the top money upgrades?

Thanks.
    Butch
    Hope is not a method!

2. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Most get the 200 sho and have it flashed to 354hp....its like 600 to flash......that's less than a 225-250 or 300 saltwater SHO.....all the motors are the exact same 200-300 only difference is the ecu programming

The 1.75 gear ratio is the reason most go to a 1.62 sportmaster ....if there were gear ratio options on the Yamaha lower speeds would be similar to a sportmaster equipped sho......a flashed 200 sho with a stock lower will run over 90 a bit more with a modded sho lower (change intake location and adding a heavy duty prop shaft)...a flashed 200 Sho with a sporty is easily over 100

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

3. Member
    Thanks for the info.

I know where I can get a 225 SHO for a decent price (its in for a future rebuild) and having a few thoughts occupying my head space!

So, where does safety/blowout come into play for a SHO stock lower and speeds on this hull?

And really, the stock lower unit speeds with flashed ecu you are talking about above is plenty. I like speed (3 Allisons previously) but just want to tote a fishing load with respectable speeds without mods (excess money).
    Hope is not a method!

Quote Originally Posted by ltcbutch View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I know where I can get a 225 SHO for a decent price (its in for a future rebuild) and having a few thoughts occupying my head space!

So, where does safety/blowout come into play for a SHO stock lower and speeds on this hull?

And really, the stock lower unit speeds with flashed ecu you are talking about above is plenty. I like speed (3 Allisons previously) but just want to tote a fishing load with respectable speeds without mods (excess money).
    Walnutshoe on here would have somegood info for you cause I think he runs a Stroker/SHO combo with stock lower. The biggest variable (and issue) you are going to have is the Stroker likes the P2P over the pad, which the stock Yami lower doesnt like (unless you beef it up like Smoker said) and will be much more likely to blow out. There are some guys doing some good stuff with the SHO lowers thou, Propeller Dynamics mildly modded mine (did the same stuff they did to one on an Ally that went well over 90) and it stays hooked up great and tracks very straight. Jason Wolf on facebook has started adding cones to them and I believe it has been said to have been over 100

If you keep it under the pad it should run 90ish with no blowout issues. Hopfully Walnut can give you more info.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    I have run Jims in to the mid 90s...I think this Sho will be the new hot rod motor....Hydro-Tec is working on Phase kits on them now I have seen it in action.....I have driven it and personally seen the dyno results and its absolutely NUTs

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

6. Member
    if the main goal is fishing 86-90 range, the flash will get you there. The stock lower will safely run even to a touch above dependent on setback.
    All out speed is a different conversation and Paul has already covered those options. At that point, the 300xs vs the SHO becomes a cost / value decision.
    The Merc comes out of the box stock with solid mounts and the Sporty.
    I bought the Stroker to fish first and foremost, so the SHO is my choice of motor. I liked it so much, I bought a new one this fall. This one does have solid mounts and all the lower mods. Break in not complete, so top numbers to be determined.

7. Member
    Thanks to all for the info. That is what I was looking for.

Wanted to make sure the 225 SHO (stock mounts and lower) could get me to the 80-90ish (with flash) safely.

We have a Bass Pro Shop about an hour away which sales a ton of the Nitros. I don't need one of those Nitros with a 250 XS shaming a 225 off the water down here. I'll leave that to Blaine to defend the honor.

Thanks again. I'll see which way I go after the holidays get behind me.
    Hope is not a method!

8. Member
    A stock 225 sho will push a loaded stroker low 80's easily. The mounts and lower unit won't be an issue if the stock ecu program remains.