Just unboxed new Kistler Helium 3 7' Spin Med XF

It says it's supposed to be an extra fast tip, but it sure doesn't seem like it to me! Seems more like a regular old fast action, and the power seems a little heavier than advertised too. I had planned on using it for a drop shot rod, but I was anticipating a much lighter faster tip. Just setting this thing up and casting around a dummy weight with it in the basement has me worried that drop shotting might be the wrong application for it.

Now I have to decide if I keep it or stuff it back in the tube and send it back. Such a pain in the rear end. I might just live with it because it sure does feel like an extremely sensitive and well balanced rod... Just kind of stiff.

Has anyone ever tried the Med/Light XF 7 footer? That's probably the one I should have got.

2. Member
    redxdu,

I have used this rod, I have 2 of them, in only diffrence is mine are slightly smaller in length. I can tell you that yes they initially feel stiff. I absolutely thought the exact same thing. Then I took them to the lake. I live in AZ and we dropshot and ned's rig all the time. I am not a huge dropshot guy, but I'm a huge ned's rig guy, and I throw the zman ned head, in the 1/5oz and 1/10oz with a TRD on it with 5lb floro with a Shimano Stradic. I will absolutely tell you straight out, this rod rocks for the small stuff at least for me. I have caught more fish on the H3 that I can't count them.

Try it out and then see what you think, it's somewhat deceptive on the initial out of the tube feel of the rod, but when it's spooled up and your using it, I will almost bet you will be happily shocked. The sensitivity of the H3 is awesome in my mind.

Now just so that I'm being fair and in the tone of full disclosure, my wife and I are both staffers with Kistler, we do get some discounts on rods but nothing for free. We still have other rods we use for swimbait fishing, but we almost use the Helium 3 rods exclusively. The baitcasting rods are crazy sensitive and have a very good hookset and excellent backbone.

Between my wife and I we have probably 25 Helium 3 rods from spinning to heavy flipping sticks, and everything in between. We paid for every rod we own and, yes it was an investment, but based on all the other rods I have tried, I have really taken a liken to the Helium 3 models.

Let me know what you think after you use it, I will shocked if you don't enjoy it.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or other concerns about the rod or any other rods.

Rob Finelli
    robfinelli@gmail.com

3. Member
    Hey Rob,

Thanks for your input. I think I'm going to keep the rod simply because I've been meaning to buy a Kistler for years and I just never pulled the trigger until now. I'm a Dobyns guy normally. Just like you have a pile of Kistlers I have a pile of Dobyns.

I am not one bit disappointed in the quality of this rod. Like we have both said, it feels fantastic as far as physical weight, balance and sensitivity. I was just expecting a whippier tip, but really I think the blame for my disappointment here actually lies on myself. I goofed up when shopping for this thing. I'm not used to purchasing spinning gear nor am I very comfortable in doing it. After doing a little further reading on rod actions and powers it makes sense that this rod is the way that it is. I should have bought a medium light power, not a medium. The reason that the extra fast tip isn't as light as I wanted it is because there's simply too much power in the rod to let it bend all the way over like I thought it might.

It's really no problem though. My plan was to add 2 new spinning set ups this year—one for drop shotting, the other for light tubes, marabou hair jigs and ned rigs. Looks like this Helium 3 will probably be used for the latter (I'm pairing it with a Pflueger Patriarch XT). That being said, I will try a drop shot on it first just to see what happens. I'm sure it will work just fine, I'm just not sure that it will be absolutely prefect like I had it dreamed up. Time will tell. Unfortunately I have to wait till April or so before we will see open water again here in SD.

In my effort to diversify my rod locker a little I might try a Loomis IMX drop shot rod if this doesn't work well. We'll see.

What H3 would you recommend to drop shot with?

4. Member
    I have one HE3 casting rod and it fishes different then it felt out of the box. So as suggested, try it and see. The blank used in these rods is outstanding. On dropshotting specifically I have settled on an out of production rod in a ML blank. Actually it was a rod I purchased initially to fish larger crappie jig heads. I mention because if the HE3 M is not what you want, I don't know that another Med rod not built for DS specifically would be much better. I've tried several Loomis rods for this and still own one but don't DS fish with it.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

5. Member
    Here is a shot of the rod I used today, same one as you have I think. I have two of these rods one for DS and one for Ned's like you see in the picture.
    rps20171209_161835.jpg

All of my Helium's "break in" after about 3 trips. You can speed the process up by tying off to something and lifting it off the ground repeatedly. You will not find a more sensitive rod in that price point.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

7. Member
    I have both. I initially bought the M for a DS rod, and use it for that occasionally, but most of the time it’s got a neko rig hanging from it. I DS alot, and the ML is in my hand 95% of the time.

8. Member
    I use the mlxf for drop shots.

9. Member
    I know it's not the same thing, but I recently picked up a Mag2 7' for DS too. Disappointed with the feel and action. Feeling is very dull and the rod is definitely stiffer. This was suppose to replace my old GLoomis GL3 2-piece.

I love my ZBone rod, but yeah.