What is the best and worst finish you have used ?

I am trying to choose a finish so I was wondering what is the best and worst finish you have used and why ?
    Thank you for your help

Finish for what?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    for guide wraps

4. Member
    Threadmaster One is by far the worst. On the other hand regular Threadmaster is my favorite. I've tried most over the years, ProKote is ok too.

I like both Threadmasters regular and light.

6. Member
    Threadmaster lite.

Prokote regular (I will use a high build on repairs) and threadmaster lite. Prokote dries more flexible but softer, which can be an issue if you're putting additional thread over it. Typically, I'll either use a mix of prokote/threadmaster (billyv mix) or do 2 coats of prokote, and top with threadmaster lite for harder cure.

Worst ever - Threadmaster one - it was supposed be a finish you did not have to mix, but I have never had great results with it.

8. Goby King
    I'd fish a rod unfinished before using Threadmaster One on it! As stated, it is a one part finish. Once dry, I was able to scratch it off with my fingernail and it also got cloudy when it got wet. I use Threadmaster Lite for first coat and Threadmaster for the second coat and third if needed. The Lite allows for good penetration into the thread and the tunnels to fill. I like the hardness of the regular Threadmaster for the top coat.

9. Member
    Prokote and flex coat work well for me, they go on and dry in a similar manner. Threadmaster is OK but i struggle to get a perfectly smooth finish always requires multiple coats. I use Prokote most often and have a repeatable technique for a single coat with the high build.

10. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRanger619 View Post
    have a repeatable technique for a single coat with the high build.
    That is the secret. All the finishes are good (except TM One), and all have their own little quirks. The key to good results is a technique that works for you.

I've had good results with flex-coat and prokote. I like the prokote better.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew