176XT sump board for mounting third battery

I have a 2007 176XT which was upgraded to a 24volt trolling motor by the original owner, with the third battery being stored in one of the rear plastic storage bins. I called up Ranger or Stratos or whoever it is that answers the phones down in Flippin Arkansas to inquire about getting a bracket for mounting the third battery in the rear compartment of the boat with the other batteries like I had seen on the webpage for the latest 176VLO. They sold me what they called a sump board(part number 4759094) which is what they use to cover the bilge pump area in order to mount a 3rd battery for 24volt trolling motor setups. For $30 delivered I figured it was worth it in order to get one of my storage compartments back, but they were not able to tell me if it was secured by anything or if it just sat in place. So I am wondering if any 176VLO owners with the factory 24volt trolling motor setup would be able to tell me if their sump board is just set in place or is actually secured to the fiberglass with screws or something?

2. Member
    I could not find a reasonable way to do it when I added the battery for a 24 trolling motor and posted the location inquiry here some years back. I do not think I got a helpful answer. This may not be either. I cannot imagine an unsecured tray bouncing around in the sump area.

That is where I put my bigger built-in charger. The battery has been fine in the passenger side rear compartment. Seems like the removable box had a convenient hole in the side for the wiring to pass through. Do not need the space.

A 12 volt battery like the MK that came with the boat is just too under powered when the wind is past light and variable.

Screw it down. Attach battery tray to it. Maybe keep a small screw gun on board so if you need to remove board/battery quickly to get into the bilge you won't be wasting time with a screw driver. A picture would help too.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    I can post a pic of how I end up installing it when I get the part in. I was hoping some 176VLO owners with the factory 24volt trolling motor option would be able to tell me how it was mounted from the factory.

5. Member
    I received the sump board and it has holes drilled in it for mounting. It's just a 16 1/2" x 13" x 3/4" plastic board in case anyone ever wants to make their own. I'll post a pic when I get it mounted.

Your going to want to use a sheet of 3/16 aluminum with that plastic board. Or send it back and just use aluminum, 1/4'' should work.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    What's the reason for the sheet of aluminum?

strength, it's doubtful that plastic will be enough for a battery. however i don't know how strong or thick the plastic is.