Tony C

North end of lake Okeechobee spraying

Working on my back deck today I saw airboats spraying weeds in the Taylor creek canals which are located at the north end of the big o. They sprayed the crap out of them by our place. Don't ever remember seeing them spraying in the canals. I could of just missed it in years past. Kind of made me sad, there was a lot of nice cover for the big gals to spawn in that got destroyed.
    Last edited by Tonyc; 12-08-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

Sore damn subject on this page
    Happening too damn much......

Spanky

That area of the lake has been productive lately. Wait... not anymore...

The spraying sucks.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. Member
    I find it hard to believe that the powers in FWC have any idea as to what degree these fools on the boats are spraying on these lakes. Their motto must be be--If it is green it gets sprayed

6. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Guess they ran out of lake "green" to kill? Gotta use up that quota of poison though (and not burn too much gas) so into the canals it is!! Careful, once that's dead they'll probably be spraying your lawn!!

7. Banned
    The individuals within the FWC that give out these spraying contracts are complete idiots who don't give a shit about fishing. They couldn't draw a check in a bass tournament if they were the only boat in the contest. But then again... spaying is just a political agenda supported by big chemical companies. I've said along the FWC is WORTHLESS. They have done more to destroy fish habitat the last 10 years via spraying then I have ever seen. I started bass fishing in the early eighties when I 13. BACK THEN EVERYTHING WAS GREEN WITH HDRILLA AND HYNTHINS EVERWHERE AND FISHNG WAS 10X BETTER. Then for some reason around 2005 to current the FWC started killing everything. Hydrilla should be matted out in Orange Lake but It isn't, Rodman should be loaded. Rumor has it the FWC hired a company that used a new liquid chemical that targeted hydrilla that was supposed to break down after a few days in the soil. Well a few years later it was still traceable in the bottom of the lake. This chemical was put into a few water systems that effected these lakes. 1 very noicable disaster was in Istopoga. The FWC took a lake " via spraying" that was ranked in the top 5 and in 2-3 years wasn't even ranked in the top 100. Talk about a fall from grace!!! FWC deservers a big shout out and thank you for there gracious #$uckup. Go make yourself usefull and get friendly with a donkey FWC. The fish camp guy located an independent biologist and confirmed this. Our bass club had our classic down there and the fellow running it went into detail about this new chemical that is taking years to break down. Contact him its the fish camp on the SW side of the lake next to a public ramp. He goes by Capt ..... something. Maybe someone else can give more info about e fellows name. He was willing to talk to anyone about it. I may call down there and get the name of the chemical. The biologist for the FWC are absolutely worthless, is the governments version of tits on a boar hog....actually worse!
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 12-13-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Always thought FWC stood for Fish Without Cover. Atleast yall have more grass there than we do in the santee lakes.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

9. Member
    Until these guys get a big spotlight put on them from the media and are forced to answer questions with biologist who are not bought off this will never stop, way to money being funneled into that rice bowl. It's actually criminal and someone should be prosecuted.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    Until these guys get a big spotlight put on them from the media and are forced to answer questions with biologist who are not bought off this will never stop, way to money being funneled into that rice bowl. It's actually criminal and someone should be prosecuted.
    Yup, and people wonder why both coasts get all poisoned up when they release water.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

They have completely destroyed Poga

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
    They have completely destroyed Poga
    Yes they have--sad what they have done to such a once fantastic lake

13. Member
    Been hammering the south end. 5 to 6 boat crew. There was hardly anything left in some areas from the high water. They took care of the rest

14. Member
    Yep, was prefishing over in eagle bay last thurs and two air boats shut down about 100 yards from me. Heard the one guy tell the other "to spray all these grasses in here once that guy over there leaves, lets finish this up while its still cool out and get outta here, im going to go finish my load out near the outside area". Sure enough i work past him and and get about 200 yards down and he just goes to blasting away at all the stuff i was just fishing. There isn't enough grass in eagle bay to be spraying, but they are spraying it all. Absolutely ridiculous, the meetings that took place over the summer have not changed a dam thing and they are absolutely destroying the lake. WIth the amount of vegetation loss from the spraying and the storms there shouldnt be any spraying going on on the lake for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Yep, was prefishing over in eagle bay last thurs and two air boats shut down about 100 yards from me. Heard the one guy tell the other "to spray all these grasses in here once that guy over there leaves, lets finish this up while its still cool out and get outta here, im going to go finish my load out near the outside area". Sure enough i work past him and and get about 200 yards down and he just goes to blasting away at all the stuff i was just fishing. There isn't enough grass in eagle bay to be spraying, but they are spraying it all. Absolutely ridiculous, the meetings that took place over the summer have not changed a dam thing and they are absolutely destroying the lake. WIth the amount of vegetation loss from the spraying and the storms there shouldnt be any spraying going on on the lake for 2 years.
    Politics at it's finest. Won't be too long before Okeechobee ends up like poga

16. Member
    Man please don't get me started on Istokpoga! Once my favorite lake. I even moved to lake placid 5 min from the ramp because I was driving over an hr to fish it every weekend. Makes me furious to watch helplessly as they destroyed it.