Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Motor RPM to Apply finish to Rod ?

I am looking for a motor for applying finish. What is the best RPM to buy ? I will be Drying on a different rack

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    I use the same motor to finish and dry, around 7 to 8 rpm from bbq rotisserie but have a microwave motor for back-up, both work great

3. Member
    I was mainly asking because it seems some people seem to like a lot higher RPM for applying. I was wondering what is the advantages of a faster motor, I have heard cleaner edges are one.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border
    I know some like a slightly faster motor to wrap thread but I don't see any advantage at all in putting finish on faster, different strokes for everyone

5. Member
    The faster speed makes it really easy to have a straight edge at the end of the wrap. I also find it easier to cover large but sections quickly. Typically between 20 -30 RPM. I have a power wrapper with an adjustable speed I adjust it up or down depending on what I area of the rod I am finishing. This method works well for me.

6. Member
    I didn't want to buy one too fast that it would be more trouble than one too slow LOL

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    I have seen someone asking about that before but no one had used it then. Does anyone have any experience with one ?

I use one on my spray booth... It controls speed on electric motors w/o damaging them... You can not use a light dimmer switch.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

I like 15-18 RPM and use the same for applying and finishing.

11. Member
    I used to apply finish on a dryer that I made using an old microwave table motor. It was 6 RPM. It was too slow. I then replaced that motor with an 18 RPM motor that I got from Mud Hole. It was better, but still a little too slow for my liking. I ended up getting a power wrapper and now I probably run anywhere from 20 -50 RPM when applying finish. As you have read others say, I get cleaner lines at the edge of wraps, and the faster speed enables me to have a lighter touch with my finish brush, which I think has helped my wraps be more even.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with this http://www.mudhole.com/DCRDS-Variable-Speed-Rod-Dryer

As you can see from the description, it is variable speed which will come in handy. If you ever decide a power wrapper is something you'd want, or need, You'll have a second dryer which will come in handy.

I use my wrapper to apply at a high speed then I'll fine tune it by rotating by hand. Alex at ALX/Hydra did this video that shows it up at a high speed.

13. Member
    Thanks guys I have found several different speeds from 5-78 RPMs I kinda had my eye on a 36,60,or 78 which would you choose ? Or I could go with a slower one if that is better.
    Last edited by jlinmo226068; 12-09-2017 at 07:29 PM.

14. Goby King
    When I started building, I used a 18rpm for applying and drying. Now when I have too many repairs and I have to use that same 18rpm to apply, it's absolutely brutal. Way too slow for me. I now apply at high speed, about 150+ rpm, on a powerwrapper.

15. Member
    So in your opinion a 50- 78 wouldn't be too fast then.

16. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by jlinmo226068 View Post
    So in your opinion a 50- 78 wouldn't be too fast then.
    For drying, I think so.

17. Member
    I am talking strictly for applying I will use a 5 or 6 RPM for drying

18. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by jlinmo226068 View Post
    I am talking strictly for applying I will use a 5 or 6 RPM for drying

Sorry. For application, that would be fine.

19. Member
    It's OK shfishinsticks I appreciate everyone's information. I am new and trying to learn from those who have experience.
    Thank You

20. Member
    Faster the better I’d say and make sure you have a slip clutch. I apply by hand or with my dryer cause I just never spent the money. To me the high speed sure seems to help getting that straight edge
    Nitro z21

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast