Maxxum Troubleshooting

I have a 70# maxxum variable speed and there is a certain spot when rotated where it will take off at 100% even though it is set at 30%. When you rotate it out of that position it will then go to the proper speed. What should I be looking for to fix my problem? Any help is appreciated thanks.

2. Member
    When you say rotated, you are referring to the turning of the motor with your foot or hand on the shaft with reference to the head unit, right? I would guess there is a wire contacted by the foot control pedal or at least I'd start looking there.

3. Member
    If your adjusting the knob and have a bad spot, it’s likely the speed potentiometer.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

4. Member
    If your motor is not ramping up as you change settings on the speed control and you go to 100% in a short period of time then you have a bad board. If this troll motor has never been worked on then it needs an upgrade kit. They way to tell is to turn the foot pedal over and if there is a gray wire attached to the speed control it needs the kit. another way to tell is looking at the plate under the foot pedal. If it has 2 screws that are perpendicular to the wire harness going to the motor then it needs an up grade. If the speed control has a flat ribbon cable attached to it then it needs no upgrade and just a board. Part # 2994053. Retail is $155.00 John should be able to get this for you.

5. Member
    When I say rotated it is with the foot pedal. At a certain spot around 45 degrees to the right it will take off full power and as you straighten out it resume the set speed of 30. Hope that makes sense.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid9 View Post
    When I say rotated it is with the foot pedal. At a certain spot around 45 degrees to the right it will take off full power and as you straighten out it resume the set speed of 30. Hope that makes sense.
    I’d pull the cover and look for worn insulation on a wire in the head.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    or under the foot pedal.

8. Member
    Thanks a lot! There was worn insulation on a wire in the head.

9. Member
    I have the same problem. I use Excedrin Extra Strength. Glad you found the problem.

10. Member
    It's going to amaze me if that fixed the problem -- but I have doubts it is permantly fixed. Would be nice to know "which" wire was worn. This is because the only wires in the head of that motor is a positive and negative to the brushes and a positive and negative to the light. One wire worn will not short against anything to cause a problem. However, if the main ground is worn in the lower unit, and it grounds to the motor housing (remember the shaft is composite and not a conductor) when the motor is turned, it could cause a wide open situation while it is making contact. Moving thes wires around while you're in the top of the motor will move the ground wire in the lower unit and could temporary resolve the problem.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]