LDraper

Question 2016 Sportsman 17 power at the bow.

I’m adding a graph to the front of my 2016 G3 Sportsman 17. There are 2 factory wires, a red and a black that I assume are for a graph BUT they Have continuous power on them regardless of if my accessories switch is turned off. Am I wrong in thinking that these wires or for a graph? Thoughts from the experts are welcome.

2. Not Banned
    Has the switch for your acc gone bad would be my first question. The boat is pre-wired for a graph but I would assume it works off the acc switch like the rear. I'm pretty sure you have to turn the acc switch on for the rear to come on, right?

3. Member
    Hmmm.. I've installed a number of graphs and none has had a separate power switch. I switch the graph off using its own on/off button.

I can see the value of a separate switched line, but doubt that it is totally necessary.

If you need a switch, can you add one up next to the graph easily?

4. Member
    I just put a switch in the bow panel for mine. That wire is a constant hot. Adding a switch is simple to do.

5. LDraper
    Thank you all for your help and input. I wired it in and just added a switch to the panel at the front and now I will add turning that switch off to my after fishing check list!

6. Member
    I'd say you have a fuse under the console for that circuit, if not you need a fuse not a switch in the line.....either at the battery or at the fuse box. The button on the unit is for on/off. You may want to locate that fuse now instead of out on the water one day or night.

7. LDraper
    Quote Originally Posted by JK9027 View Post
    I'd say you have a fuse under the console for that circuit, if not you need a fuse not a switch in the line.....either at the battery or at the fuse box. The button on the unit is for on/off. You may want to locate that fuse now instead of out on the water one day or night.
    I used the fuse that was connected to the power cable that came with the unit.

8. Member
    I think what JK9027 was referring to..... was that the power line that you used (good for you) may also be separately fused.

It is normal for many power lines to have a separate fuse on them, and that fuse is often near the battery, or the power panel if your boat is so equipped.

If, by using the color and thickness of the wire, you can trace that line back to the battery, you may find a fuse holder attached to it. Might not be, but this would be a good time to look. Candidly, most small Fishfinders draw very little current (often 3 amps) and rarely pop the fuse or breaker. But, it could happen.