Helix 7 SI G2N Install

I"m finally getting around to upgrading my electronics at my console with a new Helix 7 SI G2N which I plan to network with my Helix 10 SI Mega G2N on the trolling motor. I am going to keep my old original Lowrance 520c that is flush mounted and working great as primary 2d sonar. It's glassed in transducer holds the bottom while on plane very well. I get fish arches on it much better than I do the Helix 10 on the bow.

I've installed numerous finders on the bow over the years but this will be my first attempt at mounting a transducer on the transom. I'm hoping you guys will help me think this through before I get into it too far.

First question...I seem to have the big idea that it would be better to have the Mega transducer, XM 9 20 MSI T on the transom, and put the H7's XNT 9 SI 180T on the trolling motor. That way the better transducer won't be subject to the constant back and forth oscillations that the Ultrex puts it through, especially when on Spot Lock. This causes the SI image to have a venetian blind like distortion. I'm guessing this isn't possible with the 7 on the console...the plugs aren't the same as far as I can tell. How could that work?

Second question.... regarding mounting the transducer, which ever one it it. Since I'm not concerned with on plane images, I would like to mount the transducer in the flat area just aft of the drains and intakes. I want to do this with as little drilling as possible so I would like to use a Stern Saver http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stern...ge-STRNSV.html and mount the transducer to it with a Transducer Shield and Saver mount. Does that sound like it will work okay?

Once I figure out how to resize my pics I'll post a picture of my transom. I miss Photobucket.

Last edited by SoonerFan; 12-08-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

You can also mount it to the jackplate with a transducer saver, and not drill any holes in the boat.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    You can also mount it to the jackplate with a transducer saver, and not drill any holes in the boat.
    Forgot to mention....I don't have a jackplate.

This is going on a '06 Nitro 591...very similar to later model Z-7.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Forgot to mention....I don't have a jackplate.

This is going on a '06 Nitro 591...very similar to later model Z-7.
    The best application for that transom style is a thru-hull under the transom extension. Refer to the Ranger installation pictures in the Installation and Networking stick topic.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The best application for that transom style is a thru-hull under the transom extension. Refer to the Ranger installation pictures in the Installation and Networking stick topic.
    Yeah, I saw that installation as well as a similar one in the Nitro section. I like that installation but I'm trying to avoid both drilling up through the hull and also having to remove all batteries and oil tank and stand on my head through a mail slot to do it.

I was hoping the Stern Saver would save me from that task.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Yeah, I saw that installation as well as a similar one in the Nitro section. I like that installation but I'm trying to avoid both drilling up through the hull and also having to remove all batteries and oil tank and stand on my head through a mail slot to do it.

I was hoping the Stern Saver would save me from that task.
    If you put the Stern Saver under the transom extension, and use the Transducer Shield and Saver mount, that would give room for the cable that comes out of the top of the transducer without a severe bend in it.

I would recommend you put a tether on the Stern Saver and secure the cable to the hull incase the adhesive fails. That way the prop won't eat the transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

If you put the Stern Saver under the transom extension, and use the Transducer Shield and Saver mount, that would give room for the cable that comes out of the top of the transducer without a severe bend in it.

I would recommend you put a tether on the Stern Saver and secure the cable to the hull incase the adhesive fails. That way the prop won't eat the transducer.
    Those Stern Savers get pretty good reviews as far as staying stuck goes. I would secure the cable with cable holders screwed in.

So, while I got you....What about my first question regarding mounting the Mega transducer on the transom and the compact transducer on the TM? I would need to move the 10 to the console if I wanted to do that...right. Any advantage to doing it that way?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Those Stern Savers get pretty good reviews as far as staying stuck goes. I would secure the cable with cable holders screwed in.

So, while I got you....What about my first question regarding mounting the Mega transducer on the transom and the compact transducer on the TM? I would need to move the 10 to the console if I wanted to do that...right. Any advantage to doing it that way?
    Yes, makes no sense to have the console's transducer on the trolling motor and bow's transducer on the transom.

You can't get full function of either by connecting the other unit's transducer to the opposite display.
    The H7 doesn't do MEGA or dedicated DI.

If you put the H7 at the bow, you should use the proper transducer on the trolling motor. The XNT 9 SI 180 T does not have the extra internal shielding that the Compact SI trolling motor PUCK has or the HDSI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Yes, makes no sense to have the console's transducer on the trolling motor and bow's transducer on the transom.

You can't get full function of either by connecting the other unit's transducer to the opposite display.
    The H7 doesn't do MEGA or dedicated DI.

If you put the H7 at the bow, you should use the proper transducer on the trolling motor. The XNT 9 SI 180 T does not have the extra internal shielding that the Compact SI trolling motor PUCK has or the HDSI transducer.

That's what I thought.

Would it make more sense to move the H 10 to the console? It just seems so big. Then I could network the Mega image to the H 7 on the TM...right?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

That's what I thought.

Would it make more sense to move the H 10 to the console? It just seems so big. Then I could network the Mega image to the H 7 on the TM...right?
    Yes, if you need to see MEGA Imaging at the bow. That would still give you sonar data from the other end of the boat.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Why not trade in the XNT 9 SI 180 T for the HDSI transducer, assuming is still in the original packaging?

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Why not trade in the XNT 9 SI 180 T for the HDSI transducer, assuming is still in the original packaging?

Highly recommended regardless of where the H7 SI is used.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Please explain the difference in the two?

Not sure about the original packaging. I opened the plastic bag it was in but it hasn't been installed and is still has the peel coat.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Please explain the difference in the two?

Not sure about the original packaging. I opened the plastic bag it was in but it hasn't been installed and is still has the peel coat.
    As in the PM, 2" difference in the transducer length. Longer transducer=longer SI crystals=thinner SI pulses=sharper images.

Its the mount package that should not be opened so they can repackage it with new units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

As in the PM, 2" difference in the transducer length. Longer transducer=longer SI crystals=thinner SI pulses=sharper images.

Its the mount package that should not be opened so they can repackage it with new units.
    Got your PM so I understand the difference between the two.

It was in a plastic bag with some other items. I didn't even think about not opening it. OPPS

Too late today, I'll call HB and see if I can work something out.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Looks like I'll be able to exchange the compact transducer for a HDSI for either $85 or $95. I can't quite decipher the chart. All that is necessary is the transducer be; new, unassembled, uninstalled, and all the mounting hardware included.

https://www.humminbird.com/Category/...ducerExchange/
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Looks like I'll be able to exchange the compact transducer for a HDSI for either $85 or $95. I can't quite decipher the chart. All that is necessary is the transducer be; new, unassembled, uninstalled, and all the mounting hardware included.

https://www.humminbird.com/Category/...ducerExchange/

Typically it's about $85 including shipping (variable). That price does not include sending your Compact SI transducer to Humminbird and they will ship the HDSI (if in stock) after they receive the transducer.

All the above includes what has been experienced by others doing the same.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL