RT188 - talon mount ?

I think I am going to buy myself a Talon for christmas. For those of you with an RT188 and a talon, how did you mount it? I am wondering if the mounting spot on the transom for the power pole, will also work with the talon? I have the 4" setback plate on mine, will the standard minn kota bracket work with it?

You mean mount it straight to the transom or on a power pole mount?
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

3. Member
    Straight to the transom, where those 4 bolts are on each side of the motor. I thought the PP mounted straight to those bolts, but if there is a mount that bolts to them, then yes same question.

4. Member
    Talon = voided warranty.
    Sandwich bracket = voided warranty.

Now, if the above does not matter to you then no, those four holes are not what is used. The factory bracket requires drilling and only the factory bracket and the PP Sportsman II on the starboard side will maintain your lifetime warranty.

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8theB8 View Post
    Talon = voided warranty.
    Sandwich bracket = voided warranty.

Now, if the above does not matter to you then no, those four holes are not what is used. The factory bracket requires drilling and only the factory bracket and the PP Sportsman II on the starboard side will maintain your lifetime warranty.
    The PP Sportsman II on the factory bracket installed after initial build does not void warrenty?? I thought even that voided the warranty done afterwards

115 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Straight to the transom, where those 4 bolts are on each side of the motor. I thought the PP mounted straight to those bolts, but if there is a mount that bolts to them, then yes same question.
    Those 4 holes secure the pultrusion to the transom and are too low and too small to hold the bracket. You will have to drill new holes in the transom.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Those 4 holes secure the pultrusion to the transom and are too low and too small to hold the bracket. You will have to drill new holes in the transom.
    X2

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Thanks for the link, I don't think I'd want to mount it that way. I'd rather have the sandwich bracket.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Always thought those were for the PP. I'd rather not drill into the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Always thought those were for the PP. I'd rather not drill into the transom.
    The 4 bolts on either side of the motor are for the vertical transom supports... I still don't know why they use bolts there instead of welding.. But I'm sure there's some reason.. But any ways I called ranger and was going to make a bracket to use those existing bolts but they said there wasn't enough strength there to support a Talon ,which I think is bull crap....but I'm still probably going to do it.... I think mounting a 3/8 inch plate of aluminum with those holes would be way stronger than mounting the power pole bracket on the transom in the splash well
    115 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    I think mounting a 3/8 inch plate of aluminum with those holes would be way stronger than mounting the power pole bracket on the transom in the splash well
    I agree

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    The PP Sportsman II on the factory bracket installed after initial build does not void warrenty?? I thought even that voided the warranty done afterwards
    The dealer added mine post build. As long as it's the PP Sportsman II, the approved bracket and on the starboard side you are good. Talons (I originally wanted), any bracket that mounts between the motor and transom, or any bracket that mounts to a jack plate = VOID. Unless of course your dealership is willing to install whatever you want and then lie to the factory if there's ever a problem.