user name.. BASSMAN25
    Board Sponsor

FTO Marine Supplies
    www.ftomarinesupplies.com
    BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ok I'll check him out.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    If you decide you would RATHER go with Power Poles feel free to give me a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Whose got the best prices on Talons?
    Something to consider if you also need the universal mount and want a foot remote. Dealers can not advertise a price lower than what Minn Kota allows. Some dealers will sell you a package deal and take a hit on the mount and remote. You may pay more for the Talon but in the long run you paid less for the package deal. If this is your case you will have to contact the dealer and ask them if the offer a package deal...there is a few good dealers associated with BBC. One has already been mentioned. John Jones Trolling Motor Service is another.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    If you decide you would RATHER go with Power Poles feel free to give me a call.
    Thanks, but I just don't have any room to mount the pump.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Something to consider if you also need the universal mount and want a foot remote. Dealers can not advertise a price lower than what Minn Kota allows. Some dealers will sell you a package deal and take a hit on the mount and remote. You may pay more for the Talon but in the long run you paid less for the package deal. If this is your case you will have to contact the dealer and ask them if the offer a package deal...there is a few good dealers associated with BBC. One has already been mentioned. John Jones Trolling Motor Service is another.
    I'll look into that also. Thanks.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Thanks, but I just don't have any room to mount the pump.
    what kind of boat? The new pumps are only 7"x 7"x 8 tall". many think they do not have room till they see how small they actually are

11. Member
    It's a ranger rt188. I'd have to give up a storage compartment for it. I want the talon because it's electric.

12. Member
    Double check with with warranty on the RT 188 and installing a Talon. There has been talk about those not being authorized and will void transom warranty. Never seen directly where it says that, but I would verify before hand.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    Double check with with warranty on the RT 188 and installing a Talon. There has been talk about those not being authorized and will void transom warranty. Never seen directly where it says that, but I would verify before hand.
    heard same, too heavy on transom. Talk to your dealer.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    heard same, too heavy on transom. Talk to your dealer.
    There are many RT 188s out there with Talons. It would have to do with the mounting on a boat without a jack plate. The lightest motor with a 8' Talon and bracket is only ~5lbs more that the heaviest motor with a PP Sportsman, and still less weight than a Mec 115 w/ 8' blade. The warranty talks about transoms modifications. If he has a 4" Atlas he can put a 12' Talon with bracket on it, because he never modifies the transom and only bolts to the jack plate. Many manufactures won't even let owners switch out their own jack plates, a dealer must do it or it voids warranty.

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    weight of 8ft blade 31.7 lbs...http://www.power-pole.com/catalog/pr...ompare/anchor/

weight of 8 ft Talon 38 lbs...https://www.minnkotamotors.com/productType.aspx?id=4813...click on model to see weight

I highly doubt that 6 more pounds will void a warranty. If it does then the weight of a Power Pole is pushing the upper limits of max weight and I doubt that is the case either. Now there is more of a weight difference in the weight for the mounts. I done a quick search and could not find actual mount weight but I did find shipping weight so that will be close. Pending what mount you get of either brand there is a very small weight difference but they are close. The universal side mount and sandwich mount both have a ship weight close to 26 lbs. Power Pole has various different mounts. From what I seen they all weigh very similiar. Most have a ship weight of 16 lbs for a pair so if you cut that in 1/2 a single would weigh close to 8 lbs. That is 18 lbs less than a Talon universal mount. If you compare the weight of what it take to mount a Talon verses a Power Pole with both being 8 ft models then a Talon package weighs roughly 24 lbs more. Again my weights are not precise because I could not find exact weights for mounts, only shipping weight. Anyways 24 lb is close. If 24 extra lbs voids a warranty then the weight of the lighter brand would be pushing the upper limits...correct? I doubt this is the case. I would contact Ranger direct and confirm if the weight of a Talon voids a warranty or if it is a thru hull mount that voids the warranty....

If there is a such thing as voiding the warranty I suspect ( and this is purely a guess ) it would be for bolting a Talon directly to the transom as a thru transom mount. Very few people mount that way. In fact I have never seen a boat with a Talon bolted directly to the transom but it is an option. When mounting that way the bracket for that application only weighs about 5 lbs. Even though it weighs considerably less than the universal mount manufacturers do not like the idea a adding 4 extra holes in the transom so hence the reason the overwhelming majority use the universal side jack plate or sandwich mount.

Think about it using common sense...roughly 20 something pounds is the difference. If that voids the warranty then I would not run either brand because there is not a great difference in weight between the two. Both are good products. I would not let weight be my final deciding factor. Weigh ( no pun intended) the pros and cons and choose the brand that best suits your needs.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    We have had customers tell us they can not run anything other then one sportsman as it will void warranty. Not sure if true or not, this is why it is best if he checks with his dealer. Personally I agree its rediculious however I wouldnt want to see a customer void his warranty. I have seen lots of pictures with people running duel setups as well, however what we dont know is if they voided the warranty, if they realize they did, or they just didnt care and wanted a duel setup. Or best case ...it doesn' t. As far as weight goes..Our heaviest model (10ft Blade) is only 35.7 lbs completely installed but only 27.7 lbs on the transom. The 8ft Blade is only 30.9 lbs completely installed and only 22.9 lbs on the transom.*

If you are looking to really save weight, the Pro2 or Sportsman2 may be better at about 27 lbs installed and only 19 lbs on the transom for the 8ft models.

Our side mount adapter brackets are about 5 lbs a piece or 10 lbs for a dual kit. There is an additional brace that is required for use with the 10 ft Blade only that will add an additional 2.5 lbs.*

Talons come in at. 38lbs 8 foot, 43 lbs on 10 foot and 47 lbs on a 12 foot. And this is without there brackets that we all know weigh a ton. @ 15 lbs each

The difference...a single 8 foot sportsman w bracket is 24 pounds on the transom . A 8 foot talon w bracket comes in at approx 53 lbs on the transom. More then double, and that is a single pole install. 106lbs on the transom for duel 8 foot talons vs 48lbs on a duel 8' sportsman setup. The difference is "on the transom weight".
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 12-09-2017 at 09:08 AM.

17. Member
    GPS Nation..

18. Member
    Go with the Talon. Easy to install & remove plus a tilt bracket. No chance for hydraulic fluid leak as well.

M

19. Banned
    And the debate continues.....

20. Member
    I have talked to the dealer, he said if there was ever a problem just take it off. They've installed installed twin talons on a few boats. One of them is a guy here on the tin boat forums. He hasn't had any problems that I know. I'm looking at 12' talon on a sandwich bracket. I'm not total opposed to the power pole, I just like that its electric and I don't have to mess with a hydraulic pump. If I got a PP it would be a 10' blade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast