Yamaha SHO trim & tilt

I was having trouble with my trim. The motor was sounding like it was in a bind when using the trim. It finally quit working last week. I have 409 hours on it. I didn't want to pay for a genuine yamaha trim motor. Took the motor to my local alternator & starter shop down the street. He replaced the brushes for $45 and all is good.

good to know, thanks! Did he buy brushes from Yamaha or are they something common he had there for other jobs? Want to know cause if it ever happens to me I can replace myself but would like to know where he got the parts...

Not saying this was related, but remember to grease the ends of your trim rams monthly for smooth performance and less binding.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Banned
    My trim motor went out couple years ago. I replaced it with an aftermarket motor from pro marine. It works fine now but its a little slower than the original. I may have it rebuild and use it as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    My trim motor went out couple years ago. I replaced it with an aftermarket motor from pro marine. It works fine now but its a little slower than the original. I may have it rebuild and use it as needed.
    I would have the OEM rebuilt and use it, and keep the Pro Marine one for a backup. Or if you're going to throw it away my address is...

Last edited by J Risco; 12-08-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Banned

The shop rebuilt it the same day and had the brushes on hand. Yes I do put grease on the ends of the trim rods after I figured out a few years ago that's what was making the grinding noise when I trimmed up or down.

7. Member
    Sometimes it's a matter of cleaning the motor out to remove excess graphite from the brushes.