Thread: 300XS vs 250XS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    It's interesting how this thread has turned into a oil debate. As all these guys have said, the 300 will be faster than the 250 but the 250 seems to have a better hole shot. I wouldn't know as I have never had a 250xs.
    F-23, the speed difference will depend on what hull you putting the motor on.
    The hull makes all the difference... Bass boats are only going to run so fast no matter how much money or Hp you throw at them.. Some boats reach that limit long before others..

I believe this thread started heading South about #6 when it was erroneously stated that the 300XS HAD to run the more expensive oil which if true would have been "con" to the OP's question.

2. Member
    You don't have to run it, it's just recommended

I don't care about gas or oil. It's the best performance combo. Right now I'm wondering if the Sportsmaster Gear case is slowing me down. I'm going under 85mph, but the Torquemaster will fly apart at around 85mph. Hmmmmm
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    Notice the OP asked the difference in a 250 XS and a 300 XS. He did not ask about a 250 Pro XS. Both XS's sold by Mercury Racing.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    I don't care about gas or oil. It's the best performance combo. Right now I'm wondering if the Sportsmaster Gear case is slowing me down. I'm going under 85mph, but the Torquemaster will fly apart at around 85mph. Hmmmmm
    Torquemaster has the same internals as the sportsmaster. Never heard of them flying apart. However, they will blow out and you are right at that edge.

I CONSISTENTLY go at or over 85mph with my Gen2 1.75 gears.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

7. Member
    Just because the Gen2 Torquemaster has Not blown out for you at 85+ MPH doesn't mean it WON'T! I'm certain that Mercury pain stakenly tested the Gen2 Torquemaster thousands of times, before setting and communicating the limitations of this redesigned lower unit, to keep people from hurting themselves and others!!

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    HMMMMM---- On a fast boat I thought you needed a sportsmaster to go fast.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    HMMMMM---- On a fast boat I thought you needed a sportsmaster to go fast.
    Sportmaster is for boats that consistently see 85+. Don't think they were meant for Tritons.

That's what I'm thinking. In Glock's case, I believe our boats are too heavy to run 1.62's.
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Sportmaster is for boats that consistently see 85+. Don't think they were meant for Tritons.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. In Glock's case, I believe our boats are too heavy to run 1.62's.
    You can get different gear ratio's in a sportsmaster.. I have had 1.62 and 1.75.

12. Member
    Ya, I think that is generally true. The sporty is designed to run shallower which helps too end. The shallow running and the different shape helps to prevent blow out at higher speeds. I personally would not feel comfortable above 80. That is just me.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    You can get different gear ratio's in a sportsmaster.. I have had 1.62 and 1.75.
    The G1-TM uses the same gears (and ratios) as well. It's just not really (safely) suitable for 83+ MPH.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

All really good info! Even the oil debate! Thank you guys.
    @captainmorganlegend

Next question, is what is Merc releasing at the Miami show?!
    @captainmorganlegend

16. Member
    Verados are now about 14 weeks back because of the Yamaha shortage.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123