Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    PM sent

2. Member
    I was going to say PitStop Marine here on the board has done a few Yam...motors from other members here with good standing .
    I think Neal had a 225 they rebuild on has Skeeter and happy ...he's on the NC board a lot ,if you want to ask him about his motor and so of the other dudes that had a rebuild and work..
    They worked on my motor and happy and price , clean neat shop .

3. Member
    I'm in the same spot, I have a 2002 Skeeter with a blown OX66. Only difference is I don't have a hole in my block, so it is rebuild-able. We have a local guy who rebuilds for a few of the marinas here, and he quoted me $3k for the rebuild. As soon as Christmas is done, I plan on taking it to him. I really considered a new G2, but just couldn't swallow the price difference.

4. Member
    I would be on my way to Hydro Tec.

Option 1, rebuild.
    Other than getting lucky and finding a used, good running replacement engine for less than rebuilding yours, you're better off fixing what's wrong with what you got ("better the devil you know").
    You'd still be financially able to turn around and sell the rig after the rebuild for $13 - 15k(?) and have some money to put towards the boat you REALLY want - since it sounds like this 21 footer is not your dream rig anyway.
    Don't know if putting a 150 or 175 on a 19' is realistic. Most 18' bass boats go to 175hp now. 19' boats seem to have 200 or 225 hp. While you could underpower, it doesn't make sense financially to do that - since you'll limit your audience and have a tougher time selling an underpowered rig.

I don't envy your position - having to put money into a boat you're not completely happy with is a tough call no matter what.

6. Member
    First, call your insurance company.
    Blew a 2006 225 Optimax power head and ins paid $8362.48

So yeah, its worth a phone call.

7. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    Hydro-Tec for sure, 1 year warranty.
    LeaLea

8. Member
    I recommend Hydrotech. I blew up my 2001 ox66 like 8 years ago that was on my 01 ZX225 Skeeter. Love my boat and had no thoughts of a payment. They had a 2004 HPDI with a new head on it. I traded the ox66 and cash for the HPDI. They swapped them out no additional charge on a Sunday. Drove all the way from central AR. Been running it ever since without trouble. Will run it til it blows.

9. Banned
    No brained to me in your situation. Take it to hydro tech and come home happy. They did mine two years and it purrs like a kitten. Excellent people to deal with and they know they’re stuff!!

10. Member
    Hydrotech, especially since you are in that proximity.

Sometimes it's easier from the outside looking in to figure out what makes the most sense.
    You said the boat is in great shape and you have upgraded the accessories.

I strongly suggest running ethanol free fuel to help protect your reinvestment.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

11. Member
    Can you buy a new powerhead ready to bolt on similar to automotive crate engines ?

Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    First, call your insurance company.
    Blew a 2006 225 Optimax power head and ins paid $8362.48

So yeah, its worth a phone call.
    How does that work?
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Mpg on a new opti will pay the payment of a new motor if you use it a lot.Going from older carb motors I get 2-3 times better mpg
    which made up the difference of a newer boat motor combo.Even a sho gets better mpg than anything in the efi era plus no bottles of 2 stroke to buy.If you put some down the payment is only 200 or so which is pretty cheap over a new boat.

14. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Hydro Tec is awesome.....plus warranty....plus they have good blocks in stock .......they have great turn around times also....some can be in and out in 1 day

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123