Thread: Power poles

Power poles

Any of you guys running a XB-21 with poles or Talons? I see lots of numbers from guys with empty wells and no poles. What are the XB-21's numbers with what every seems to normally run in one plus, poles, full wells, full to 3/4 of a tank of gas and a 200+ pound partner? Looking for some real world numbers.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Any of you guys running a XB-21 with poles or Talons? I see lots of numbers from guys with empty wells and no poles. What are the XB-21's numbers with what every seems to normally run in one plus, poles, full wells, full to 3/4 of a tank of gas and a 200+ pound partner? Looking for some real world numbers.
    I will find out next week.

Poles seem to have had a big impact on my top end numbers. At least 5 mph is what I am seeing. I think the wind flows between the poles and the motor until you get going mid 70's. Then I think the wind doesn't flows between the poles and motor anymore. It turns into a big ass wind drag. Was looking at the talon tilt brackets but, the poles would hit each other at about the 45 degree point. They make wedges and I was thinking I could maybe add wedges to make them clear each other. But, then the footprint width when down is gone. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. Then again I could maybe go to bigger prop and get back what I lost. Decisions decisions..................lol

4. Member
    Conservative tourney loads/ w/ pwr poles (apprx extra 64lbs and plenty of drag).
    250 merc 85/87 mph (it can go faster)
    250 SHO stock lower unit 84/85 mph (it can go faster).

Legit tournament load (20 rods, 90 pounds of tackle, Fortrex TM 112, , 370-400 lbs (pending what anglers), 1/2 live well , 50 lbs ballast, 3/4 tank, 4 mile run, 80 degrees, 2 inch chop

5. Member
    I have been working on this for several years. 250 83 to 84 mph. Now I have a 300 and it runs 88.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    No poles here but I can carry 2 guys, full fuel, full livewell, and all our crap at 95-96 consistently with at least 3 different props (27 xob, 29 xob, and 30 xob).
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

How many rpm's does it take to turn that 27 to 95-96 ?

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    How many rpm's does it take to turn that 27 to 95-96 ?
    6400-6450
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Very old thread but, felt I needed to update. So I changed the brackets I was using and went to Hydrilla Gear Bullet brackets. They brought my poles in towards the transom and ALOT closer to the cowl. I think they are like 4-5 inches away now. So, I was getting 80 in this heat down here today after the bracket swap saw 82.8. My suggestion to anyone wanting to run poles and not use the Allison made bracket use the Bullet brackets. These bracket definitely gave me a few MPH back due to wind drag. When the weather cools back off Ill back in the mid 80's. These speeds are loaded full tank of gas, livewells full and all of my shit in the boat.