150 4/S flush valve

Don can you hook a hose to the flush valve as long as you leave the engine at idle or do you still need to use muffs? Wanting to check for leaks and oil level after performing routine maintenance.

1B947225 150/4S

thks

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    Don can you hook a hose to the flush valve as long as you leave the engine at idle or do you still need to use muffs? Wanting to check for leaks and oil level after performing routine maintenance.

1B947225 150/4S

thks
    From what I have read and understand, the flush valve is not intended to cool the engine while it is running, it is only for flushing out the motor. If you chose to run your engine, you should be running muffs.

Again I am no expert on this, but thisis what I came to understand reading post in here. Perhaps somsone with more knowledge on this subject will chime in.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

Quote Originally Posted by cfm56doc View Post
    From what I have read and understand, the flush valve is not intended to cool the engine while it is running, it is only for flushing out the motor. If you chose to run your engine, you should be running muffs.

Again I am no expert on this, but thisis what I came to understand reading post in here. Perhaps somsone with more knowledge on this subject will chime in.
    That is what I always thought until I saw a Merc dealership service dept running an engine on the flush valve. When I asked aren't you supposed to use muffs he said "As long as you only idle the engine it's ok" so didn't know if Merc informed mechanics that this was acceptable or this service center may have been mis-informed.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassbama View Post
    That is what I always thought until I saw a Merc dealership service dept running an engine on the flush valve. When I asked aren't you supposed to use muffs he said "As long as you only idle the engine it's ok" so didn't know if Merc informed mechanics that this was acceptable or this service center may have been mis-informed.

I hope he was right as that would sure make leak checks following engine maintenance easier for those of us who prefer to do our own maintenance!
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Utilizing the pin-style Mercury Earmuffs is BEST, as it brings water in (and out) via the same pathways used when the engine is running down the lake.

The "hose" attachment is a Coastal Flush Attachment, and is best for flushing salt from the system after Saltwater Use. It's drawback is that it pushes water BOTH ways through the system, sometimes resulting in sand, silt, debris passing back into the water pump.

I don't recommend using it as a "running" device for this reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks for info..