1. Banned
    Tail Shaker

• Premium Mustad Hook
    • Ultra-sharp point
    • Extra wide gap design
    • Heavyweight screw-lock head
    $4.29 /pack of 3

Size & Color
    1/8 oz. Black $4.29 USD 1/8 oz. Green Pumpkin $4.29 USD 3/16 oz. Black $4.29 USD 3/16 oz. Green Pumpkin $4.29 USD 1/4 oz. Black $4.29 USD 1/4 oz. Green Pumpkin $4.29 USD

Secret Lures is excited to announce its newest introduction, the "Tail Shaker". The Tail Shaker is the ultimate shaky head for soft-plastics. It is designed around a premium 4/0 Mustad EWG hook and features a molded screw-lock for attachement. This design allows a variety of soft plastics to be rigged straight and natural while providing more hook "bite".
    The Tail Shaker is built around the proven football head; and we've incorporated the Secret Lures "Pivot Divot". This unique concave design allows the bait to rock between TWO balance points. The head rests level, with the hook tilted forward or backwards, but always up. This allows the angler to impart a true "shaking" action, while keeping the line safely off the bottom.
    The Tail Shaker is available in Black and Green Pumpkin heads, weighted in 1/8 oz, 3/16 oz, and 1/4 oz.
    GET THE CLEAR ADVANTAGE...GET A SECRET LURE.
    These are the Secret Lure brands. I found the slight Groove on the bottom of the jig that sold me for a shakehead jighead. Now the bait is a Jax's Custom Baits

2. Banned
    Tail Shaker

• Premium Mustad Hook
    • Ultra-sharp point
    • Extra wide gap design
    • Heavyweight screw-lock head
    $4.29 /pack of 3

Size & Color
    1/8 oz. Black $4.29 USD 1/8 oz. Green Pumpkin $4.29 USD 3/16 oz. Black $4.29 USD 3/16 oz. Green Pumpkin $4.29 USD 1/4 oz. Black $4.29 USD 1/4 oz. Green Pumpkin $4.29 USD

Secret Lures is excited to announce its newest introduction, the "Tail Shaker". The Tail Shaker is the ultimate shaky head for soft-plastics. It is designed around a premium 4/0 Mustad EWG hook and features a molded screw-lock for attachement. This design allows a variety of soft plastics to be rigged straight and natural while providing more hook "bite".
    The Tail Shaker is built around the proven football head; and we've incorporated the Secret Lures "Pivot Divot". This unique concave design allows the bait to rock between TWO balance points. The head rests level, with the hook tilted forward or backwards, but always up. This allows the angler to impart a true "shaking" action, while keeping the line safely off the bottom.
    The Tail Shaker is available in Black and Green Pumpkin heads, weighted in 1/8 oz, 3/16 oz, and 1/4 oz.
    GET THE CLEAR ADVANTAGE...GET A SECRET LURE.
    These are the Secret Lure brands. I found the slight Groove on the bottom of the jig that sold me for a shakehead jighead. Now the bait I use is a Jax's Custom Baits 6"Skinny Jax's shakeyhead worm. These baits have no salt in them unless requested and will stand up these Tail shaker jigheads. Good Luck.

3. Member
    Drewflu- curious as to why you think you are missing fish on the screw locks?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    Drewflu- curious as to why you think you are missing fish on the screw locks?
    I actually had a couple PMs about this. Long story short, I don't exactly know, but I do have a couple theories. Apologies in advance for the book...

First I think the screwlock eats up some of your hook gap. If you think about it, when a bait is on a screwlock, the head is 1/8 inch or whatever above the rest of the hook shank. At best that screwlock is then reducing the bite of the hook when you Texas rig the plastic. That may or may not be bad...think about a regular worm hook versus an EWG for example where we know an EWG isn't always the better choice (I'm also not quite convinced this is the best analogy. With regular or EWG hooks, the head of the bait is still in the same spot relative to the hook shank...that's not the case here). At worst, the screwlock sits right in the way and blocks the hook point while also artificially reducing the length of the hook shank - I think this is exactly why I miss so many fish with a screwlock.

The other reason I think the bait keeper gives me better hookup and landing rates is the angle of the hook point to the rest of the bait. With a screwlock, since the head of the bait ends up positioned up higher as was mentioned above, the hook point is angled much more parallel with the bait. When you set the hook, there's more of a tendency for the point to travel along the bait instead of through it and out the other side if that makes sense. With the baitkeeper on the shank itself and the "steeper angle" that results, the hook point is much closer to a 90 degree angle to the bait, so it's a lot more prone to punch straight out of the bait and into the fish on the hookset.

I do have to say that I've found I do tend to get hung up more often with the baitkeeper instead of a screwlock, I think for all of the same reasons as I don't miss or lose as many fish. That's not to say that it hangs often by any stretch - it's still a Texas rigged soft plastic - and the tradeoff is worth it to me. This also seems most pronounced when I'm trying to get "one more fish" out of a bait instead of just putting on a new one.

Either way, my hookup and landing percentage is near 100% with the baitkeeper style, while it seems I probably only go 2 for 3 with screwlock.

The other thing is that I really hate dealing with screwlocks. Yes, they hold plastics well, but they're a pain to get lined up properly (especially the type with no "centering pin"), take extra time to rig, and they don't work with Z-Man (or Strike King) "Elaztech" baits which are some of my favorites.

One last thing I've noticed is that due to the different angle at which the bait is presented in each setup, all else equal, a screwlock will have the bait standing at like a 45 degree angle to the bottom. With the steeper angle caused by the baitkeeper, it has the bait standing much more straight up off the bottom. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to interpretation and probably depends on the fish's mood on a given day. I'd personally rather have the bait standing straight up as I feel it has more of an opportunity to get a fish's attention.

This is all just one man's opinion that came about after some puzzling and experimenting. Take it how you may!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Drewflu, I like the theory on the angle of hook as it goes through the plastic. That seems to make sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12