Thread: 520 L Prop ?

520 L Prop ?

I am looking for recomendations on what prop to put on the 520 L. I am running a 250 Pro XS.
    Keep it all in perspective; Galatians 1:10

Thanks to who keeps us on the water catching fish!

Midway Marine, Fulton Ms - Isaac Duncan; 601-695-4013
    Ranger and Nitro Boats
    Lowrance
    Boat Logix
    Mercury
    Bobs Machine
    Power Pole
    Seaguar
    Queen Tackle
    Fiberglass Shop, Columbus Ms

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Depends on your goals. For speed, if running fairly light, either a Fury 3 or Tempest 26 pitch. Very good speed and decent all around, 25 Fury 3 or possibly Fury 4. 4 blades typically are a little slower on top end but faster on plane and mid-range, with better control. 25 Fury 3 is always a good starting point for tournament running.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    John is spot on ....................FWIW, a 26" Tempest will be a dog on that hull.....................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostComanche View Post
    John is spot on ....................FWIW, a 26" Tempest will be a dog on that hull.....................RR
    Great minds think alike, Roger. I know that some guys get excellent top end speed with a 26 Tempest on a Z520, but I agree that prop might be a tad tall for all-around use, like when the water gets hot.

5. Member
    I'm just going to tell you I haven't found one yet that performs well really struggling to get the L boat set up,its totally different from the C boat but will get it figured out and when I do I'll be glad to share with you what I'm running,but I will say the tempest is doing better than the fury so far for some reason but still not correct.....

6. Member
    What Tempest?

We currently have a new 25 tempest plus, I guess we could just run it until we figure it out, was just going to get another one so we would have to.

Thanks everyone one for the advise. If anyone else has any input please share, we are planning to pick the boat up this week so can get it on the water!

Ranger and Nitro Boats
    Lowrance
    Boat Logix
    Mercury
    Bobs Machine
    Power Pole
    Seaguar
    Queen Tackle

At this point, I definitely concur with RickyBobby.....haven’t found a solid all around prop yet. Quite different from the Z520C’s.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBassr View Post
    At this point, I definitely concur with RickyBobby.....haven’t found a solid all around prop yet. Quite different from the Z520C’s.
    interested to hear what the setup issues are that you guys are having?

9. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    interested to hear what the setup issues are that you guys are having?
    The main problem is that the engines (Mercury 250's) aren't as strong as last year or a couple of years ago.............................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostComanche View Post
    The main problem is that the engines (Mercury 250's) aren't as strong as last year or a couple of years ago.............................RR
    Thats what I thought but the G2 is about the same or less on performance of course they have a whole shot but that's it and I'll leave it there on the rest..........

11. Member
    I heard today that there were 2 520L running a fury 3-25pitch and turning around 5600 RPM. With that said I'm going to shoot for something a little different.

Im wondering what the RPM difference will be between a 24 fury vs 24 tempest?

Ranger and Nitro Boats
    Lowrance
    Boat Logix
    Mercury
    Bobs Machine
    Power Pole
    Seaguar
    Queen Tackle

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Duncan Fishing View Post
    I heard today that there were 2 520L running a fury 3-25pitch and turning around 5600 RPM. With that said I'm going to shoot for something a little different.

Im wondering what the RPM difference will be between a 24 fury vs 24 tempest?
    It's going to blow out on take off and will be around 6000 if not hit the rev limiter on rpm's and performance want be there as it's to small if you do try it put all plugs in to start but I would borrow 1 before I wasted my money.....

13. Banned
    Is it the Ultrex...I remember Rick Pierce saying that an extra 50 lbs on the front is 2 miles per hour?

14. Member
    It's hard to know exactly what you need without having any numbers or info on your boat. If the 2 L's running a 25 fury at 5600 are accurate I'd start with a 24 fury or 25 tempest and have it worked to suit your needs.

It's funny though to see all these guys that are actually out running the motors saying that they are down on power while all the gurus on the merc boards say they aren't.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    It's hard to know exactly what you need without having any numbers or info on your boat. If the 2 L's running a 25 fury at 5600 are accurate I'd start with a 24 fury or 25 tempest and have it worked to suit your needs.

It's funny though to see all these guys that are actually out running the motors saying that they are down on power while all the gurus on the merc boards say they aren't.
    In 2008 Merc Pro xs were at 280 hp's and to current 2018 at 260 hp's you tell me but I believe it's 20 hp's down but it's not all Merc's fault that is a direct result in the former administration assault on all 2 stroke engines emissions reduction you know the ever changing climate BS.I personally think it's a combination of the 2 but it's like anything when you have change you just have to figure it out.......

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    Is it the Ultrex...I remember Rick Pierce saying that an extra 50 lbs on the front is 2 miles per hour?
    Not sure of the exact wait of the Ultrex vs the fortrex but it seems that the ultrex is actually lighter but haven't checked the weights to be correct and Rick is notorious for putting the smallest and lightest trolling motor he could get away with cause it does matter but if that trolling motor doesn't meet your needs when you put it down its kind of useless getting there first and quick.......

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    45” Fortrex 36 volt weighs 78.5 pounds. 45” Ultrex 36 volt weighs 85 pounds, so 6.5 pounds difference.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    45” Fortrex 36 volt weighs 78.5 pounds. 45” Ultrex 36 volt weighs 85 pounds, so 6.5 pounds difference.
    6 pounds on the nose of a Ranger will not make that much difference, 50 pounds yes.

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I carry more than 6.5 pounds of lead in just one of the 20 tackle boxes in the front of my boat....

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    In 2008 Merc Pro xs were at 280 hp's and to current 2018 at 260 hp's you tell me but I believe it's 20 hp's down but it's not all Merc's fault that is a direct result in the former administration assault on all 2 stroke engines emissions reduction you know the ever changing climate BS.I personally think it's a combination of the 2 but it's like anything when you have change you just have to figure it out.......
    Good old epa. I'd almost venture to say that the 18's may be a touch under 260 but that's only speculation from seeing performance numbers on the boards. It is pretty amazing that even though yammy's and rudes are still making closer to 280 that the pro xs is typically a touch quicker on a majority of hulls. That just shows how good the gen 2 lower comes through the water. Although now that more and more people are running sho's(me included) and getting more information on setups and how to work the props the speed gap has closed.