Question Installing two Solix 15's

Debating on the proper wiring from the battery. My plan is to use all Blue Sea system components from the back to front. Starting with a 6 awg wire from the battery to a series 187 30a circuit breaker, using for protection and switch. From there will run a 6 awg to the console feeding a ST blade 6 circuit fuse block with neg bus. The console unit will be on one circuit fused with a 7.5 ATO/ATC fuse. I will run 8 awg wire from a seperate circuit off of the fuse block to the bow to a 4 circuit terminal block (one for + & one for -) to power the bow unit. Am I on the right track or over kill?

2. Member
    Sounds ok but make sure the battery adequate to keep them going...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Banned
    6ga? 8ga? You might want to talk to someone that actually knows low voltage before wasting money.

All three of my Solix/Onix units ( 15 and 12 solix, 10 onix) run perfectly fine on 12 ga to a fuse panel and 12 ga from the panel to the bow units. My 360 has 14 ga from the panel to the bow switch. Every wire measures exactly what the voltage is at the battery, no matter the discharge. At one time the same wiring ran 4 12" lowrance units.

Find a good installer and quit listening to internet "guru's".

4. Banned
    im using 6 gauge from the battery to the fuse block and 8 gauge to each unit. It was like $8 more

I'm using 6 gauge as well

started with 10 but found the 6 as less voltage drop
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    6ga? 8ga? You might want to talk to someone that actually knows low voltage before wasting money.

All three of my Solix/Onix units ( 15 and 12 solix, 10 onix) run perfectly fine on 12 ga to a fuse panel and 12 ga from the panel to the bow units. My 360 has 14 ga from the panel to the bow switch. Every wire measures exactly what the voltage is at the battery, no matter the discharge. At one time the same wiring ran 4 12" lowrance units.

Find a good installer and quit listening to internet "guru's".
    I am definitely not a guru but the statement you made about voltage at battery and unit is not true! No matter what the size wire is you will have a voltage drop. How much will the situation be ok with is the question. Current carrying ability is not the important factor. 14 will carry the load in almost all of our situations but the voltage drop is the key. Bob
    Drop calculator: http://www.calculator.net/voltage-dr...es=5&x=65&y=10
    Last edited by bobcoy; 12-08-2017 at 12:05 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I am definitely not a guru but the statement you made about voltage at battery and unit is not true! No matter what the size wire is you will have a voltage drop. How much will the situation be ok with is the question. Current carrying ability is not the important factor. 14 will carry the load in almost all of our situations but the voltage drop is the key. Bob
    Drop calculator: http://www.calculator.net/voltage-dr...es=5&x=65&y=10
    This was my thinking for using the 6 from the battery to the console fuse block and 8 to feed bow. I guess my main concern was using the 30A CB/Switch at the battery with this set up. The factory set up for the accessories has this same breaker with 6 feeding the console.

Quote Originally Posted by RZ21 View Post
    This was my thinking for using the 6 from the battery to the console fuse block and 8 to feed bow. I guess my main concern was using the 30A CB/Switch at the battery with this set up. The factory set up for the accessories has this same breaker with 6 feeding the console.
    Makes no difference what the fuse/circuit breaker size is to the fuse panel as far as the devices connected to it. That breaker is to protect the wire between the battery and fuse panel. You fuse the devices according to their loads.
    No different than the factory fuse panel.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Makes no difference what the fuse/circuit breaker size is to the fuse panel as far as the devices connected to it. That breaker is to protect the wire between the battery and fuse panel. You fuse the devices according to their loads.
    No different than the factory fuse panel.
    Thanks Wayne, I'm darn sure not an electrician but wanted to make sure I had it all covered. Lot of $$$$ to go up in smoke for a stupid mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by RZ21 View Post
    Thanks Wayne, I'm darn sure not an electrician but wanted to make sure I had it all covered. Lot of $$$$ to go up in smoke for a stupid mistake.
    You will have a good setup just like TroyBoy30 has. Should have no electrical issues to cause problems with the units functioning.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I have 6ga to a Blue Sea 6 fusebox in the starboard rod box. Console units wired direct to this box, 2 bow units on 2 twisted pair sets of 10ga. I had many issues with my 4 ONIX units prior to upgrading my power wiring.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link