Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking at a new Chevy Colorado Diesel

Currently have a '03 GMC Sierra 5.3 4X4. Tows my tin (Lowe V-hull) very well but only gets 13 mpg around town right now and 9-10 mpg towing (11 on a great day). The GMC is getting a little old and has over 200K on it. Things are starting to pop up that could be signs of $$$$ repair bills coming.

The Colorado diesel version I'm looking at (long bed, Z71) boasts 30 mpg highway, 23 around town. Have seen 17-24 mpg towing posted on other forums. 369 lbs/ft torque at 2000 rpm vs my 325 at 4500 rpm (where i'm hardly ever at). But inside and bed room are a lot smaller although I'll be moving from an extended cab to a crew version.

Picking one up tomorrow night for an extended test drive. Hope to be impressed enough by it to warrant a new truck payment.

And we're supposed to get an inch of snow Saturday so I may get to see how it does in it.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

2. Member
    buddy of mine just got one for holmans get 30 mph driving around town rode in it few times nice truck crew cab great power range i was impressed

keep us posted with real time figures.

4. Member
    I suggest taking the $$$ you are quoted to purchase the Colorado and seeing what those same $$$ will get you in a full sized 1/2 ton of your choice (Chevy, Dodge, Ford). The current gas engine offerings are way advanced beyond your present 5.3, which is a very dated design.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

5. Banned
    The design of the Colorado is fresh where the C1500 is going to be completely new in a year. The Ram truck is also about to be a completely new design. New designs often mean increased prices.
    If you like the way the diesel Colorado drives, go for it.

Im curious how you like the truck with the diesel in it. It has my attention as well. The hp is only 181 tho which seems a little on the low side. The tow rating is pretty good tho.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I like my Sierra but looking to downsize a bit and get better mpg. My friend's late model Sierra only got 10 mpg towing to northern WI (he has a Tracker Targa that weighs about 400-500 lbs more than my boat). Some of that has to do with the crappy gas we have around here.

A new, comparably equipped GMC Sierra is priced about $50k, way out of my means. The small diesel appears to be able to do everything I need at a much lower price.

BTO, yeah the HP is low but that's not what gets your rig rolling. It's the torque. My Sierra peaks at about 325 lbs/ft @ 4500 rpm. The Duramax has 369 lbs/ft @ 2000 rpm, right where I need it to be.

I'll see how it rides tonight when I pick one up for a two day test drive. May get cut short do to the snow coming Saturday morning.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

8. Member
    The current 5.3 developes 300 ft. lbs at 2000 rpm. The fuel mileage is greatly improved. Expect 21+ on highway. Towing my 20XD, dual axle gets 14+. Whole different truck than you have now.

9. Banned
    I get better mileage than that with my 99 5.3 with 220,000.

It just having a smaller truck is a big part of this then go for it. If fuel savings is the main motivator do consider that diesel fuel is more exspensive in most places. So you’ll want to consider yearly fuel cost for the trucks you are considering.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    It just having a smaller truck is a big part of this then go for it. If fuel savings is the main motivator do consider that diesel fuel is more exspensive in most places. So you’ll want to consider yearly fuel cost for the trucks you are considering.
    I agree diesel is higher. About 30 cents around here. But over double the mpg will greatly offset that. I have a 26 gal tank and get around 300 miles before filling up again. Now that winter has arrived my mileage will go down based on past seasons. My full size is mostly empty space. There have been occasions I've carried a lot of stuff but mostly I'm hauling air.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    The current 5.3 developes 300 ft. lbs at 2000 rpm. The fuel mileage is greatly improved. Expect 21+ on highway. Towing my 20XD, dual axle gets 14+. Whole different truck than you have now.
    I also agree the newer trucks are better but again way more costly. I can afford the Colorado but not a new Sierra rigged out the way I'd want it. That would be $57k or more.

I appreciate all the replies and will post up my experience with it whether I purchase one or not.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

12. Member
    Ohio Archer, sounds like you have done your homework, considered the options and know what you want.

Looking forward to your evaluation of the Colorado!
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    I agree diesel is higher. About 30 cents around here. But over double the mpg will greatly offset that. I have a 26 gal tank and get around 300 miles before filling up again. Now that winter has arrived my mileage will go down based on past seasons. My full size is mostly empty space. There have been occasions I've carried a lot of stuff but mostly I'm hauling air.

I also agree the newer trucks are better but again way more costly. I can afford the Colorado but not a new Sierra rigged out the way I'd want it. That would be $57k or more.

I appreciate all the replies and will post up my experience with it whether I purchase one or not.
    You are basically in the same position as me a new half ton is just more than I want to spend on a truck but i know one day im gonna have to get something. The colorado will still handle everything i need to do more than adequate. Really should take one for a test drive i guess but very interested in your thoughts on it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Banned
    I don't see much difference in the price of a full size and a diesel Colorado around here; no difference if you wait for the $10,000 off price that they always have on the full sized truck.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    I don't see much difference in the price of a full size and a diesel Colorado around here; no difference if you wait for the $10,000 off price that they always have on the full sized truck.
    My experience too. I have a 2017, Z71 that I have $40K in. You might want another $5K in options I don't have. The full size truck is only about 10% higher than the Colorado. Comparing the Colorado diesel to the full size gas burner probably less than 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post

Then maybe consider the gas Colorado. I just talked to a guy a few minutes ago with one and he gets 25. That truck will cost less and I doubt you’ll save any on fuel in th diesel.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Then maybe consider the gas Colorado. I just talked to a guy a few minutes ago with one and he gets 25. That truck will cost less and I doubt you’ll save any on fuel in th diesel.
    I think he tows a tin boat.

So? The V6 gasser will handle in bass boat ever made.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Another consumeable to consider is the DEF fluid as well. Granted that stuff goes a long way for an apllication like this it still adds to the operating costs. Something else i have factored in as well.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Another consumeable to consider is the DEF fluid as well. Granted that stuff goes a long way for an apllication like this it still adds to the operating costs. Something else i have factored in as well.
    Thought about that, too. But I put a bottle of SeaFoam in my tank every other fill up (sometimes every fill up when towing long distances) due to the complete shit they call gas around here. That's anywhere from $6 (at Wally World on special) to $11 at Autozone. Don't plan on doing that much more. DEF is an added expense but $5-$12 dollars every oil change or so isn't bad. One thing I did need to find was oil. I run Mobile 1 in all my vehicles (truck, 2 cars and a bike). Diesel engines don't use the same type (Mobil 1™ ESP, 5W-3) and it is a little bit harder to find. Cost is higher than the discount 5 qt bottles I get from Wally World but i can live with that. I get 2-3 free oil changes with the deal.

Yeah, a Lowe v-hull with full windshield. Figuring about 2700-2900 lbs towing.

I picked up the truck two days ago for an extended test drive. Initial thoughts were that is was smaller inside than I figured (but I'm comparing it to my Sierra). The drive home was short, at night, in a ton of traffic. Figuring out where everything was wasn't easy. Similar to the Sierra but more switches, buttons etc to sort thru. Wasn't really impressed by the engine. Does not have the pick up that my V8 has. But it was late (for me) and I was tired from being up since 3:15.

Next morning (yesterday) drove it to work. Got a little freeway time (couple of miles, anyway). Acceleration felt good, shifts tight, handled well (as you'd expect from a new vehicle). But still nothing earth shattering.

Take the long way home from work using a cross county expressway. Limit 65 mph but set cruise at 70. Now, my Sierra has been on this road countless times. I know when it will downshift and how much on the hills. Usually drops from 5th to 3rd to climb them (why it skips 4th IDK). The Colorado stayed in 6th at about 1800-1900 rpm and right at 70. Didn't labor any but it had no load.

Next trick was hook the boat up. My sierra hitch is 14 1/2" above the ground. Boat windshield clears my friend's garage door and frame by about 1 1/2" (maybe a bit more). Rut roh!. Colorado hitch height is 15 3/4" (both with a 3" drop hitch). Didn't think it would make it out. Truck didn't sag but a small amount so i was worried about hitting the door or needing to get a 4" drop hitch. Made it out with about 1/2" clearance (a few inches forward at a time. Same backing it in later).

The difference with a load and without was quite amazing. Having not had a diesel before I wasn't sure what to expect. With the load the engine felt stronger. 1st gear is really short with no load, but pulls very hard with the boat. Acceleration was very good with little effort. The integrated brake controller works well (once I remembered to turn it up...I had electric brakes installed on the trailer this year. The engine brake helps out as well). On to I-75 and pre-rush hour traffic and back onto the the expressway. I really like how this truck tows my boat. I felt the boat more due to the shorter and narrower wheel base but also due to the heavier suspension on the Z71 package. Visibility was good, on par with the Sierra. Both need to have trailering mirrors IMO. Set the cruise at 67 and hit the hills again. Up the hills it dropped to 5th and 2200 rpm. 13-17 mpg. 22-24 on the flat areas. The engine did not labor or drop speed at all (unlike my Sierra's V8). I think the average over 12 miles was 17-18 but I hit rush hour/Christmas traffic off the expressway heading home and sat at lights for a while so by the time I looked again in the driveway it had gone down. Yeah, a short test but it gave me a way to copmpare the two vehicles.

Overall, I like how it drives, rides (firm but not overkill) and tows the boat. Turning radius is much smaller than my Sierra. It is not what I would call "gun friendly", though. Those of you who carry will know what I mean. Limited space to keep one handy and out of sight. Couple of the added features like back up camera is nice and will keep me from constantly getting in and out of the truck to hook up (our driveway is steep and declines toward the road). I think this is a good fit for me and a good replacement for my Sierra. Just need to find out how the dealer is going to treat me today.
    Last edited by Ohio Archer; 12-09-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast