Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ajm10, I figure my boat is about 2800-3000 lbs loaded. That's a ballpark figure as I've not had it weighed. Hull empty is 1450, outboard 370 wet.

Definitely liking the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller. Finally found the instructions and narrative on it. Uses brake pedal pressure to adjust trailer braking (not vehicle speed like I posted above). Like having surge brakes but electric.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Another consumeable to consider is the DEF fluid as well. Granted that stuff goes a long way for an apllication like this it still adds to the operating costs. Something else i have factored in as well.
    I thought they had gotten rid of DEF in all new models.

Quote Originally Posted by geobass View Post
    I thought they had gotten rid of DEF in all new models.
    No, they still use DEF. Unless they can figure a different way of converting diesel exhaust I think DEF will be here for a while.

Funny thing, with our wildly fluctuating gas prices here in OH, Diesel was 3 cents cheaper than Regular 87 yesterday. $2.56 vs $2.59
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

4. Banned
    I have a 17 Colorado diesel and it's been a great truck. 30 was the best mileage I had and 23 is the normal. One box of DEF lasts about 3K miles or so. It does spec Dexos2 oil, but I use the same crap that goes in my 6.6. My only complaints would be the useless door panel pockets, lack of cooled seats, lack of heated steering wheel and no auto-locking tailgate.

5. Member
    We still get gas at a little over and sometimes under $2.00 a gallon around the Houston area. . Diesel usually costs at most around $2.50 a gallon. If I decide to purchase the diesel it will be for its towing ability. I watched a video made by two fellows that did a comparison test between the V6 4WD and the diesel 4WD. They towed at the same speed (around 70 mph) with the same trailer ( a little over 6000lbs) on a 90 mile loop. The diesel got way better fuel economy but the sustained towing around 2200 rpms vs up to 4600 rpms for the V6 was what I liked. Granted my bass boat does not weigh much more than 3500 lbs but I do tow interstate speeds for a minimum of 1.5 hrs to the closest lake to me to fish. Also the diesel according to the sound meter used in the test was quieter than the V6.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 12-29-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    We still get gas at a little over and sometimes under $2.00 a gallon around the Houston area. . Diesel usually costs at most around $2.50 a gallon. If I decide to purchase the diesel it will be for its towing ability. I watched a video made by two fellows that did a comparison test between the V6 4WD and the diesel 4WD. They towed at the same speed (around 70 mph) with the same trailer ( a little over 6000lbs) on a 90 mile loop. The diesel got way better fuel economy but the sustained towing around 2200 rpms vs up to 4600 rpms for the V6 was what I liked. Granted my bass boat does not weigh much more than 3500 lbs but I do tow interstate speeds for a minimum of 1.5 hrs to the closest lake to me to fish. Also the diesel according to the sound meter used in the test was quieter than the V6.

Not trying to sway your decision either way, but when i towed my little rig it was right at 2.2k. And that was with the tow/haul engaged. I dont see an engine at 4600 rpm's while towing, an engine or tranny lasting that long.

...i would like to see that video.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

7. Member
    The comparison video did not show the tach reading the 4600 rpm's all the time, but they implied that the V6 had to work alot harder and showed the tack at or around that reading several times. To the V6's credit that was a heavy load near the 7000 lb max capacity, so I don't think it would be stressed that much pulling my bass boat here in south Texas which weighs 3500 lbs total and relatively flat roads. Some of the grades in the video were pretty steep. The fuel consumption for the V6 in their comparison test was a little more than 7 MPG and the diesels fuel consumption towing the same trailer the same 90 miles at the same speed was around 12.5 MPG.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Not trying to sway your decision either way, but when i towed my little rig it was right at 2.2k. And that was with the tow/haul engaged. I dont see an engine at 4600 rpm's while towing, an engine or tranny lasting that long.

...i would like to see that video.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

9. Banned
    8 miles of 7% grade, at 8000 ft. of elevation, towing 6100 gvw??? Plus the turbo equipped diesel will be less affected by the high elevation than the normally aspirated gas engine.
    That has sooooo little to do with real world towing, and nothing to do with towing a 3500lbs bass boat outfit.
    Tow your boat with a gas Colorado/Canyon if that's what you like best, and you will have no worries.

After having this Colorado for over 3 months I finally got to tow my boat further than 5 miles (to the shop a couple of times over the winter). Made a trip to Cave Run, KY, about a 280 mile round trip. Truck did very well pulling the boat. Handled well although it moves a bit more in crosswinds than my Sierra did. Stayed mostly in 5th or 6th on the hills except for the longer, steeper ones. Fuel mileage averaged 16.5 both directions with both stop/go traffic and 70-75 mph speeds (and a multi-species boat with full windshield that sits high on the trailer). While it is not a high horsepower engine, it did manage to pass vehicles on the few truck passing lanes without much problem when I needed to. It's not real quick accelerating at those speeds with the boat, though.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. Gets 28-32 mpg highway and 22-25 around town. May go up a bit once I get a tonneau cover installed and cover that drag chute (tailgate). Don't notice it until you have a bed full of snow and it gets blown around covering the back window.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

11. Member
    I took my RT188 DC to some scales on the way to the lake last week. It weighed 2720 ready to go fishing with 1/2 tank of gas. I have a 115 4 S Merc. My Ridgeline pulls it fine. You guys looking at the small GM should have ZERO issues pulling like sized tin boats. I’ve pulled mine lots around the south with a 5K tow rating. The small diesel shouldn’t even be breathing hard pulling 3,000 pounds.

I'd like to take my boat to the nearest scales and have it weighed just so I know.

The integrated brake controller and exhaust brake in Tow/Haul mode worked exceptionally well and I didn't need to use the brakes to control my downhill speed. The Sierra would accelerate, the Colorado remained the same or slowed slightly. Actually got to keep the cruise on most of the time. Didn't have the drastic downshifts that the Sierra had (5th to 3rd).

I do need to upgrade the side mirrors, though. Truck is narrower and I can't see behind me. GM doesn't make them but tow mirrors are available thru the aftermarket. Actually made by an Australian company for their version of the Colorado, the Holden. Direct replacements with power and heaters. Pricey, though. Approx $600.
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    USAF Ret

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123