Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Earthquake and Eskimo are the same company...I bought an Earthquake 6 inch auger and used it with my Eskimo powerhead....I think the dirt auger was less than a hundred bucks...New blades for your ice auger will probaby be close to 50 if you destroy them..

2. Member
    This is funny, because I watched my new neighbors across the street do this putting in a fence.

3. Member
    I used a Strikemaster Lazer hand auger to cut holes for my mailbox. It was the 6" size. Went down 3 feet and it took about 30 seconds per hole. Way way easier than any post hole digger I have ever used. Didn't even break a sweat. I kept those blades around for any other dirt work I need to do but replaced the blades. For ice fishing I use a Clam Drill Plate with a Makita drill and the Strikemaster Synthetic Hand Auger bit, auger weighs about 11 pounds, way better than lugging the 28 pound 8" gasser around.

I would not recommend trying to drill a post hole in dirt with a power ice auger, good way to lose a foot. But a hand auger is the way to go as long as you are not in an area with big rocks in the soil. Just have a spare set of blades when you want to use it on the ice again.

You guys are crazy if you think you can hold onto an auger to dig into the ground. There's a reason augers are mounted to the back of tractors or the front end loader. Unless you're afraid to get a blister, just use post hole diggers.

5. Member
    It can be done, save the cutters blades for dirt and put new on for ice, as far as everybody thinking its going to rip thier arms off....apparently they've haven't drilled many ice holes, especially redrilling old holes in a fish house, the auger has a tendency to catch on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    You guys are crazy if you think you can hold onto an auger to dig into the ground. There's a reason augers are mounted to the back of tractors or the front end loader. Unless you're afraid to get a blister, just use post hole diggers.
    These boys are way up north, completely different ground. Our Ozarkian ground is very rocky and most placed we can't auger, but they have completely different ground to work with.

2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

7. Member
    To the OP, please have wife hold your beer and post videos of whatever you decide to try. Sounds promising.

8. Member
    The issue isn't necessarily the bit but the gearing. Earth augers turn much slower than ice augers....spin too fast and you're gonna get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Schins View Post
    not dire at all......cheap
    this is not the time to cheap out...it is amazing how quickly you will rip through the holes with the right tool...and amazing how aggravating it is to not use the right one.

Hahaha. went to the lake one day. Grabbed my dads auger. Get there and it wouldn't even begin to drill a hole. Go home and talk to dad. I asked him why the auger is all eff'ed up. He said he tried to drill a post hole in the ground with it. I asked him if that worked and he said nope, the shovel did though. Didn't work and cost him the price of new auger blades.

one thing everyone is forgetting, if you hit a rock and change the angle that your blades are at, even with new ice blades it will not ever cut right again.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    Around here, those two man augers are for use in the river bottoms.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    To the OP, please have wife hold your beer and post videos of whatever you decide to try. Sounds promising.

i think what im looking for is the Seymour AU-S6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12