Best Hamer rod to use for paddle tails ?

Want to pick another Hammer rod as I really like their blanks and the Winn grips they use.Great rods for the money.To those that have the Med/Hvy and Hvy. which would you choose for throwing 4"-5" paddle tails ? I will probably get the 7'3" version.

7’3” MH if using exposed hook only, if weedless I like the 7’3” H

Which model do you own now?
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

3. Member
    I’d go heavy. Wright of jighead plus plastic can get up there. Plus these Hammers run a little lite.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p2geo View Post
    7’3” MH if using exposed hook only, if weedless I like the 7’3” H

Which model do you own now?
    I have a couple of the 7'3" heavy but I was wondering if I might want a MH. If I decide to try the mh and find its not enough rod what other applications do you have for it? I already have a spinnerbait rod that I like.

Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    I have a couple of the 7'3" heavy but I was wondering if I might want a MH. If I decide to try the mh and find its not enough rod what other applications do you have for it? I already have a spinnerbait rod that I like.
    Ok, I much prefer the H for weedless applications such as Owner Beast hook. I mean I could see the benifit of using the MH if I was throwing a 4” swimbait or even a lightwire swimjig but that’s about it. The 7’3” MH makes for an awesome wacky rig soft plastic rod and even for some moving baits in open water, squarebill, smaller traps, smaller spinnerbaits, etc.
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

6. Member
    Heavy for sure. My personal opinion is that they fish about 1/2 power lighter than their rating.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

7. Member
    Thanks guys.So maybe pick up another heavy. Would you then recommend the XH for 3/8-1/2oz jigs ? I might as well grab 2 rods while I'm ordering.

8. Member
    I use the H & XH for jigs depending on the cover...prefer the XH around grass. The heavy is an awesome all around rod.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    I picked up the MH originally for jigs but found it was a little under powered for that. But, when I tried throwing jerkbaits with it, it was great. I wasn't looking for a new jerkbait rod, but I have one now.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

I think their heavy action is one of the most versatile rods ive ever picked up.