Bring on your tips !

last 5 trips, 15 - 20 hours+ 1 2 pounder Throwing horny toads, watermelon red flukes and the smaller vibra tail, swimming flukes in junebug.Even thrown some senkos in 3 or 4 colors.Nada, zip, nuthin, nicz, niet zero.Windy conditions, calm this morning, shallow deep weeds doesn't matter. OK, now that I've told you how NOT to get bit how about y'all throwin some tips as how TO get bit ! I think I need to venture to different water but it's tuff when I live across the street from a private launce on the Hernando pool.

2. Member
    Know nothing about that lake, whats the water color like?

clear. Tuff fishery....... at least for meActually don't know anyone that kills 'em there.

4. Member
    Get a spinning rod set up with 10lb power pro and an 8 lb flourocarbon leader and get you some 3/16oz shaky heds and use either a junebug or watermelon trick worm, throw it at any dock you come to...you will get bit!...good luck

thank you for the suggestion. Will give it a shot

6. Member
    Once you master that , look into drop shooting the same stuff but instead of an exposed hook use a worm hook and bury it, this works good too, also a neko rig would wear those fish out as well.

7. Member
    Had a bang up couple of weeks prior to the last one. Just ran 111 miles total over the past week searching yes... but fishing also with little reward. Tough going. Can never go wrong with weightless trick worms. On the St. Johns you have to be on shell beds and deeper water. Most of the TX winners over the past few weeks have won in deeper water C-rigging or cranking. If you don't get them schooling or deep stacked up dragging that weightless trick worm is money. Old timer buddy of mine who has caught more fish in Florida then I like to acknowledge fishes painfully slow but man does he catch them. He likes to say, " in Florida when you are fishing slow you are not fishing slow enough." Nothing you don't know I am sure but wanted to let you know you are not the only one who probably wanted to sell everything. LOL

8. Member
    Start throwing a lipless Lucky Craft LV 100 in a shad or shiner color on Hernando. I do well there with them in the winter near grass.
    Question everything!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    Had a bang up couple of weeks prior to the last one. Just ran 111 miles total over the past week searching yes... but fishing also with little reward. Tough going. Can never go wrong with weightless trick worms. On the St. Johns you have to be on shell beds and deeper water. Most of the TX winners over the past few weeks have won in deeper water C-rigging or cranking. If you don't get them schooling or deep stacked up dragging that weightless trick worm is money. Old timer buddy of mine who has caught more fish in Florida then I like to acknowledge fishes painfully slow but man does he catch them. He likes to say, " in Florida when you are fishing slow you are not fishing slow enough." Nothing you don't know I am sure but wanted to let you know you are not the only one who probably wanted to sell everything. LOL
    "weightless trick worm is money" x 2

thanks for the tips. Will give them a shot ....... once the weather warms up, brrrr Yeah, I've turned into a wuss. The days of Tx fishing through a snowstorm are a very distant memory.That neko rig sounds interesting. I never drop shot as it doesn't seem like my kind of fishing, but, we'll have to give it a try.Actually I think the problem is me !

11. Member
    I believe the guys name was Bud Andrews. He ran the fish camp that was there at the ramp on Henderson. This was thirty plus years ago so the camp may not even be there any longer. Any way, he caught a LOT of fish plus did a lot of guiding. His favorite lure was a red shad 7.5 inch Culprit worm with a 1/16 ounce slip sinker and always used a fish attractant (the old Fish Formula).

I've fished the chain only a few times as I live a pretty good distance from there and am not real familiar with it. The place was really productive back in the 70's and early 80's when I fished tournaments there.

Don't know if this technique will still hold up but sometimes the old tried and true methods will outshine the latest and greatest.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Good luck !

12. Member
    I agree with the tried and true stuff especially here in Florida - traps, spinnerbaits, Texas rigged ribbon tails, weightless trick and flipping were go to’s when I fished those lakes in the late 2000’s. I always did best with trick worms and flukes on hernando and flipping in Henderson. Just my .02!