Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat/Trailer Breakdown Insurance Help

As I am getting older, I am coming to grips that I can't do things I used to do as effectively. Sometimes I fish places that are not near a buddy for help or I travel and fish. Sometimes I fish a not so crowded lake too where I might be pretty much by myself....but I have cell signals most all the time.

I think I might like to buy an insurance policy that would cover trailer breakdown assistance on the road, boat towing back to a ramp, other other things that might arise. I have insurance on the boat for liability and things like that which I included with my car insurance company. I would like to buy a policy from a company that would show up and do what they say. If I am on the lake and have a boat problem or on the road and have a trailer problem, I want to pick up my phone and wait for help to arrive and the insurance company pay the bill for getting me to where I need to go and I need nationwide coverage no matter how remote or where I am.

I am looking for recommendations from people that can lead me to a good company that is reputable and not selling me a promise they don't keep. Any experiences or advice or assistance would be appreciated. Also, the approximate cost would be nice......Thanks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Member
    Talk to Bob Luellen from Worldwide Marine. You can find his contact info on the boat insurance board here. He's a board sponsor and will explain everything you need to know about insurance; he'll also get you the best possible deal that covers all your needs. I'm sure others will chime in about Bob as well. In my opinion, it's the only way to get what you really need and know that you're actually covered.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

3. Member
    If BoatUS services your lake(s), they offer the coverages you have described. Always heard good things about the gentleman above as well.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I think you might be disappointed in such services.

The breakdown assistance on the road is generally just somebody sitting at a computer a long way from where you are calling towing companies they find on the internet until they find one that will give them the best price to come and haul your rig someplace to get it fixed. It can take hours. Many RVers that go this route find it is easier to use their own phone and find their own service. They also often have strict rules on how far off public roads they will send somebody to get you, and the level of repairs they'll do stops at changing tires.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    AAA covers trailer breakdowns. If you have a membership call them and ask to upgrade to their "Plus RV Coverage".

Assuming u have cell service in said remote area.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Assuming u have cell service in said remote area.
    How will you call the assistance service if you don't?

Another thing is to talk to your insurance company about towing insurance, and the call either 911 or the motorist assistance number in your state. They will send a tow truck for disabled vehicles if you call the right number.
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
    AAA covers trailer breakdowns. If you have a membership call them and ask to upgrade to their "Plus RV Coverage".
    I have this to cover my motorcycle and boat on the road. When I was in a accident a couple years ago they wanted me to leave my boat on side of road even though front of truck was destroyed and insurance ended up totaling boat trailer. Had to convince operator that Plus RV covered boat trailer also, not the smartest operator that day but they ended up towing to trailer shop after a little bit of yelling on my part
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

Join BOAT U S its around $160.00 a year and they cover travel to and from lake ( with trailer problems ) .

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I think you might be disappointed in such services.

The breakdown assistance on the road is generally just somebody sitting at a computer a long way from where you are calling towing companies they find on the internet until they find one that will give them the best price to come and haul your rig someplace to get it fixed. It can take hours. Many RVers that go this route find it is easier to use their own phone and find their own service. They also often have strict rules on how far off public roads they will send somebody to get you, and the level of repairs they'll do stops at changing tires.
    My dad has AAA and pays I think $120 a year is covers his car and 40ft 5th wheel. Well this spring his fan let loose on his truck and punched a hole through the radiator, then went down and blew out both left rear truck tires and both trailer tires on the left side. AAA came out within a hour and a half and brought 2 tow trucks and towed his dually truck and 40ft 5th the 2 hours home to our mechanic. I can not phantom what the tow bill would have been for all that.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    AAA is great for on the road situations ,on the water well that's another story but luckily I have enough friends spread out over the area I can depend on that I usually fish in. BoatUS is not available for a lot of the smaller waters in my area so wouldn't be worth it.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I had AAA with RV coverage and when my truck broke down they wouldn't tow my boat trailer even after an eternity of arguing with them, I dropped them and I have Good Sam roadside assistance now and I carry basic Boat US as a West Marine Gold member. Won't cover the total cost but it will cover a portion and at least get you back to the dock.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbass1 View Post
    I had AAA with RV coverage and when my truck broke down they wouldn't tow my boat trailer even after an eternity of arguing with them, I dropped them and I have Good Sam roadside assistance now and I carry basic Boat US as a West Marine Gold member. Won't cover the total cost but it will cover a portion and at least get you back to the dock.
    I have thought that some kind of BBC crowd-sourced road and water service would be a wonderful thing. Somebody breaks down and they can get a text sent to every participating BBC member and if somebody is close they go help. Probably not practical, but it would be pretty sweet.
    nothing else matters.​

14. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    AAA does not cover boat trailers, only RV's. If one gets his towed he made out. Progressive boat onsurance has coverage for the trailer and tow vehicle in the boat policy, Call Bob.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    AAA does not cover boat trailers, only RV's. If one gets his towed he made out. Progressive boat onsurance has coverage for the trailer and tow vehicle in the boat policy, Call Bob.
    This was my experience. I had AAA RV for years because they had boat coverage. They changed their policies in the last year or two. They now only cover RV's.

I also have the Boat US Trailer program. Good for 100 miles from home. And I have tow charges included from Bob at Worldwide.

I had coverage on my RV for years.....there were a couple of big companies offering it. I just want something that will get me and the boat or trailer to safety in case of a bearing or axle problem or if the boat craps out in the middle of nowhere someone will for sure come and get me. At home it would not have a problem but on the road 700 miles from home..... I might need help now where I used to just take care if it myself....but that time is leaving me as I get older.

Tha KS for the suggestions.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

17. Member
    I am in the same situation as you.As for getting insurance to tow your boat back to the ramp, if Boat US is not in your area that's going to be a tough find.You may find an insurance company that will sell you a policy that tells you that you are covered if you break down on the water but good luck on getting someone to come out to tow you back to the ramp.This takes a little time but what I do is every boat dock on the water that I am fishing I have their number in my cell phone.I have the local bait shops,the local Bass Pro,Cabelas,etc.all the local marine service centers,and the motels number that I am staying.If you have any friends or relatives that live close by I also have their cell numbers.I figure surely to god with all those cell numbers I will find somebody that can come out and give me a tow back to the ramp.As I said earlier this takes some time but trust me,one of these days you will be glad you have all those cell numbers.Thanks,good luck and good fishing
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I have thought that some kind of BBC crowd-sourced road and water service would be a wonderful thing. Somebody breaks down and they can get a text sent to every participating BBC member and if somebody is close they go help. Probably not practical, but it would be pretty sweet.
    This is a fantastic idea
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

19. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Catfan's idea is pretty sweet if we could somehow get it established
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

20. Member
    Progressive has all the things you stated you wanted. I have all those in my policy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast