Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who has ran separate wiring to power graphs?

Hey guys,
    I recently bought my first Phoenix after owning Triton and Bass Cat. Who here has had any issues with voltage drop from the factory wiring? I'm having some networking issues, and I'm not sure if it's due to voltage drop, frequency interference, or something else. I ask because I don't know much about the construction of these boats. I know Bass Cat used 12 ga. Tinned wire. I'm not going overboard on electronics-- below average by today's standards (2 HB helix 10s)
    Any input will be appreciated, that way I might get something to reference before pulling wire.
    Thanks
    2015 Phoenix 819

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    The 819 is wired through the main power switch and circuit beaker panel, it should be sufficient to run those 2 graphs but I would still recommend pulling 8 to 10 awg to a small blue sea fuse panel and then feeding the graphs from that with 12 to 14 awg, you will have less interference and should eliminate voltage drop.
    have you tested the voltage with a meter at the graphs or just reading from the graph itself?
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    The 819 is wired through the main power switch and circuit beaker panel, it should be sufficient to run those 2 graphs but I would still recommend pulling 8 to 10 awg to a small blue sea fuse panel and then feeding the graphs from that with 12 to 14 awg, you will have less interference and should eliminate voltage drop.
    have you tested the voltage with a meter at the graphs or just reading from the graph itself?
    This guy knows his chit and can help if anyone can.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    I have only checked the voltage on the graphs so far. It appears to be fairly consistent, which makes me think that it's not the wiring, but I'll probably make that switch either way.
    2015 Phoenix 819

A lot of us have ran our own wiring. Its habit for me on boats.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

6. Member
    I always rewire my graphs. Mainly because I want to eliminate possible reasons for issues. If I ever have an issue with my Birds, which I never have, I know it's either the fuse from the direct power cables, or the unit itself.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I did it for one of my graphs, cant remember which one, but like others i ran a bigger set of wires from battery to console, installed a switch and fuse block to add my nmea backbone, structure scan box and graph on.....no issues....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    A Belden 2 pair/shielded instrument cable run to each graph strait from the battery solved a lot of issues for a buddy of mine. No more interference from troller, graph shutting off when cranking engine....etc. The shield should be connected to the negative batt. terminal and tapped off on the other end.

9. Member

Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Leebob View Post
    A Belden 2 pair/shielded instrument cable run to each graph strait from the battery solved a lot of issues for a buddy of mine. No more interference from troller, graph shutting off when cranking engine....etc. The shield should be connected to the negative batt. terminal and tapped off on the other end.
    I run two hds9 off factory wiring at the bow and a9and7 on the bow off factory wiring no problems

10. Member
    First thing I did when I got my boat was tear it apart. I installed a master cut off and power block in the back and redid the factory stuff so that the only things that always have power are the alarm and auto bilge. I do wish I would have run the power block into the passenger rod box. Would make it easier for future installs.

Always do my own and always with their own power. Listen to Drew

12. Moderator
    I had same issue ended up running ten gauge stranded from battery thru an inline fuse

13. Member
    I’m doing this now. 10guage to a fuse block in rod box. Then 14 to each sonar
    2014 Phoenix 920 pro xp / Merc 250 pro xs

14. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigflipper88 View Post
    I’m doing this now. 10guage to a fuse block in rod box. Then 14 to each sonar
    be sure to fuse the 10 gauge at the battery, you can use up to a 30amp but I would stay with a 20 or 25
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

15. Member
    I put a 20 at the battery and a cutoff switch at the panel
    Last edited by Jigflipper88; 12-10-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    2014 Phoenix 920 pro xp / Merc 250 pro xs

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigflipper88 View Post
    I put a 20 at the fuse and a cutoff switch at the panel
    GoodDeal
    info@drewcraft.com

17. Member
    I ran a 10ga. From power block didn't help, talked to my dealer a he said Phoenix's recommended running one from battery to the front. With them knowing of problem and my boat still basically new the way I see it. My dealer can run the new wire.
    2016 Phoenix 920,Garmin's 7600's, Power Poles,Lithium Pros,Rigid Industries

18. Member
    Na, ya GOTTA run the wire from the battery to the front. If you want to install a block for the 2 graphs, then that's ok, but the power has to come from the battery itself. And only the 2 or 4 or 10 graphs wired in, no other boat equipment. I don't waste time with blocks, switches, or fancy stuff, the graphs have their own switch, you don't NEED a separate switch, but if you want, do it. I run one double wire to the front for that graph. And I run another double wire to the console for that graph. Both get their power directly from the battery with nothing else wired in.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

19. Banned
    fyi, for the guys with the integrated wiring panel. on my 920 2017 the integrated panel GETS its power from the first breaker back by the battery which also powers the auto bilge... I was very surprised the auto bilge would have anything else on the same breaker but it kept popping in the rain when I had 4 mega 12 inch, a 360, a gps puck and my auto bilge going off........ I figured out that the top half of the integrated panel was that breaker so put a few different things on the bottom half for a solution, but will be isolating the auto bilge direct to battery with its own breaker as the dealer should have already done.

the auto bilge should ALWAYS be on a stand alone breaker, fuse etc.

20. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    fyi, for the guys with the integrated wiring panel. on my 920 2017 the integrated panel GETS its power from the first breaker back by the battery which also powers the auto bilge... I was very surprised the auto bilge would have anything else on the same breaker but it kept popping in the rain when I had 4 mega 12 inch, a 360, a gps puck and my auto bilge going off........ I figured out that the top half of the integrated panel was that breaker so put a few different things on the bottom half for a solution, but will be isolating the auto bilge direct to battery with its own breaker as the dealer should have already done.

the auto bilge should ALWAYS be on a stand alone breaker, fuse etc.
    after you mentioned that I checked mine, its like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    info@drewcraft.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast