Thread: Pressure Tester

Pressure Tester

Has any one made a lower unit pressure tester for there lower unit .
    Want to check the seals ,before it get to cold around here . Change the lower unit oil and it had a tad of brown flowing in the pan .
    It wasn't much as i did use the boat about 3 times this year . Could it be from setting up and the air temp ,changing every day here cold /hot ?
    Thought i would try and pressure raise it . And if ididn't hold take in to be tested by the pro. It on a 2.5 200/ 1.87 gears .
    Thx

2. Banned
    Anything other then lower unit lube comes out of mine and it is headed to the shop.

3. Member
    Went to change oil in my lower unit and it had water in it..off to the shop it went all resealed and back in business...they do a pressure test and vacuum test on lower unit after reseal.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Someone walked away with my official OMC pressure tester so I made up one. Went to a sporting goods store to the bicycle department. and bought a bicycle tire pump in a foot control style. Went to the hardware store and bought a straight thru nylon barb and installed it in the hose side and then used the tube from the lower unit fluid plug and attached it to the other side. Works great. Lets me hold the gearcase in the holder and use my foot to operate the pump. You only need to get it up to 15 PSI..

made this from parts I had laying around -- I also use the tube from LU filler attached to hose barb -- the other end has a schrader valve which can be hooked to about anything with low pressure -- a 12 volt compressor works fine !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Thank's Micheal .....that's what i was looking for . Has a air compressor , i can make that with so parts around the shop . Just need to get a gauge .
    Has plenty of old pumps to put oil in the lower ,i can use . Now i need to find my service book , to find out how much air to install and how long it should hold air at diff. times ?

I see championman said 15 max ...but isn't there 2-3 setting it should be tested at ?

7. Member
    I hope you guys can find the time to do a descriptive on making your own tester and how to connect it to the lower, how to perform the test and what to look for. I would like to understand this process and be able to do it myself.
    GETFISHED !!!

8. Member
    I plan on making up the manfoil like above . But with cheaper parts . I have some black iron pipe fittings. T ....Harbor freight sells the hose barb in a air hose repair kit . So all i have to get is a scharder valve and the kit .
    Going to use the gauge off my air tire chuck .

I has a air compressor. So all I have to do is cut it on & off and when it reaches 5 pounds off and so on .
    The correct way is to remove the unit from the mid-section and pressure rise the housing checking around the gear seal water pump seal and the back of the prop shaft seal . spray it with soapy water will help find the leak if you have one . You also want to turn the prop shaft while spray it .

I think it has diff pressure ranges it should hold air and a vaccum test ....if i am correct .
    But i want to just do a pressure test for now and if holds run it some . As i don't fish much when it cold . Then check the lube period as each out . If lube or water show signs of water . I will drain and add new lube and call it a wrap for this year .
    Has to get ready for Xmas and work plans if it needs seals ?

I was told not to do more than 10 psi on my sports master..
    The shift shaft seals are the weak link on my rigs and I have changed many of them. If its a small leak the soapy water spray may not show it..
    Have found the best way to test is by placing LU in a trash barrel full of water and pressure it up..

10. Member
    Ok i have a service manual around the house some where , just can't put my hands on it . It been a while this is older standard lower unit ( 1990 ) time frame .
    Barrel of water sounds good, bubbles has to come to the top . I remember back in the day when all service station had a tube out side of there bays to test car tires .
    Thanks RChavis

11. Member
    Some great ideas. I'd love for someone to make a video in detail. I love learning, but I have to see it to be confident.
    Champion 206
    250XB

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    For vacuum testing you can get a MY-T-Vac hand held vacuum tester. I don't work on Mercs so I can't tell you what the proper range is I do work on John/Rudes and we test them to 15 PSI for 10 minutes. I use the same test on the occasional Yamaha. Using the foot pump is just easier for me as I can watch the gauge while I have the case in the gear case holder. I spray with soapy water. That's how we were taught in service school. This is the factory tester from the tool board.