Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I want a place to sit down to tie tackle on and some boats just don't have that in the floorplan.
    Buy an older Skeeter Starfire, lol.

2. Member
    I've got a 2004 Ranger 185VS. My deck looks similar to the OP's except I have a good sized storage box behind the pedestal seat and a built in cooler (that I used for other storage).

Still have the open floor and a spot for the 3rd fishing seat the boat came with. Ranger makes a Deck Extension with and without a hole in it to use the 3rd seat and I was going to get one. But after using it for awhile I have found I like it like it is. It allows me to sit down on the cooler lid and get to all my tackle and/or rod lockers. Re-tie, weigh a fish, take a picture whatever.

I also added a couple of those "Cabin Caddies" for extra storage on each side.

Pic:

Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    I don't understand why everyone talks about having the decks so large. I rarely stand behind the seat anyway. I stand to the sides, but always within reach of the trolling motor. Are you guy's dancing or just like running track around your front deck?
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

4. Member
    It's all because of the popularity of Flipping and Team Clubs or Tournaments. That's actually what Ranger calls the extension they sell, a Flipping Deck.

Lots of guys fish with both people standing on the front deck. For that you would need as big of a deck as you can get.

5. Member
    Just buy a gambler 😂

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Look at some of the 70's boats. Not dating myself, but dam.

Yep, there were no removable front seats in most of em either. You sat down and fished. None of the bass boats back then were near as wide as today's offerings. Skeeters first bass boat didn't even have a deck. Things evolve around consumers.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    It's all because of the popularity of Flipping and Team Clubs or Tournaments. That's actually what Ranger calls the extension they sell, a Flipping Deck.

Lots of guys fish with both people standing on the front deck. For that you would need as big of a deck as you can get.
    Yep. My normal fishing buddy and I pretty much always end up standing together on the front deck. If one of us hooks a fish the other can jump on the TM for a bit or is someone wants to change baits, grab a drink or whatever the other can jump on the TM there too. If you have the room its a significantly smoother way to fish I find.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post

To the best of my recollection, the first “flipping” decks weren’t deck extensions at all but instead, was a second deck over the top of the original in order to make the deck flush with the gunwale top. Most boats prior to the early 90’s had decks 4-5” below the gunwale top. Sorta made flipping and pitching a pain when you were constantly banging the gunwale every time. IIRC, Roland Martin was one of the first to modify his front deck and show it on his TV show.

9. Member
    I havn't read all 5 pages and may be saying what has been said. that is obviously an older boat. Back then, tackle wasn't stored in the boat, it was stored in tackle boxes that you put in the floor of the boat. All the storage that you needed was a place to put rods -- only 5 or 6 cause that's all we had, a place for a couple of life jackets, a throw cushion and a rope.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    that is obviously an older boat. Back then, tackle wasn't stored in the boat, it was stored in tackle boxes that you put in the floor of the boat. All the storage that you needed was a place to put rods -- only 5 or 6 cause that's all we had, a place for a couple of life jackets, a throw cushion and a rope.
    It's oldish. I wouldn't call it ancient by any means. It's a 99. The last boat I had was a 2000 Ranger 518SVX, only 1 year newer, and it had the giant front deck. The boat I had before that was a 1994 18 foot dual console Astro and that thing literally had more storage on the front deck that the Ranger that was a foot longer than it. Those boats are both from the same era or older.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Back then, tackle wasn't stored in the boat, it was stored in tackle boxes that you put in the floor of the boat. All the storage that you needed was a place to put rods -- only 5 or 6 cause that's all we had, a place for a couple of life jackets, a throw cushion and a rope.
    Maybe to a degree tackle wasn't loaded into the boats quite the same as it is today, but I'm not so sure that's it. Wouldn't it be kind of cumbersome to to be stepping over those boxes all the time in the middle of the floor? And this boat has two full length rod lockers in it. I can fit 40 plus rods in there if I'm feeling wild. I have seen boats where that extra floor space is directly in front of one of the consoles. In that case you can win my over with the hard tackle box argument. But in this case I'm not entirely sure.

I think the guys who say it's just a good spot to sit and do what you need to do are right. The boat companies probably have become too one dimensional in their layouts. There is a whole group out here begging for a comfortable place to sit and no one is listening to them. They'd be wise to open their ears, because we all know those old boys with the busted up knees and the artificial hips are the ones with all the money, right?!

This new boat company—Vixen, or Venison, or whatever it is, they'd be smart to design one specific model where every single feature on the boat is designed with anglers 50 years and older in mind. Think about that for a second. Who can afford a new boat? Not me. I'm 30. I'm broke as hell. I'm the one trying to uncover why my almost 20 year old boat is the way it is. Who can afford to buy one right of the line? The retired guy who's got the kids out the door and the house paid off, that's who. Design a boat for him if you want to make some money.

What they really should do is make these boats with dual center storage compartments where the second and rearmost compartment is removable. Not the half assed deck extension style compartment of the past like I'm about to build or the ones I've seen in a lot of late 90's Rangers, but a really smart and functional one that is light and easy to handle and unidentifiable until you actually watch someone lift it out. It's much like the first time I learned that some boat companies are making removable second consoles. What a brilliant, yet incredibly obvious idea, right? As far as I'm concerned every boat ever should be ambidextrous in that way. Why not? Perhaps the same should go for that center back compartment on the front deck. Some guys want it, some clearly don't. Leave it up to them. Sell them a boat that they can choose if they want extra storage or extra sitting space just like you let them choose if they want a single or a dual console.

11. Member
    I hear what your saying. I fish out of a Basscat Puma, before that a 90 Caracal. On the Caracal my fishing partner could bring his tackle box and set it in the floor and still have room to sit stand, whatever needed doing. On the Puma, the tackle box/sack/whatever he brings hopefully goes in a storage box making it a pain to access when fishing, or put up when running. In the boat, I used the Plano trays and stored them in a forward locker. I tend to like the floor space as to room. Setting to retie, etc. is also a good deal.
    On another note, all the rod lockers now seem to open from the inside, hinged on the outside. This means if you're doing something in the shop, you have to get in the boat to retrieve rods as opposed to going over the lids. I would rather have lids open to the inside. If you're inside the boat and lift, at least you're on a level with the boat where you can reach over. from the outside of the boat it's more accessible. Also, opening in you not in danger of throwing a rod over by lifting the lid. working on boats as I do, the bilge lids need to open from the back, or be removable -- again for the same reason.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345