Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I don’t get why there is any space like that in new boats. Put the cooler where the kick plates are and make the bow storage bigger.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

2. Member
    I don't see what the big deal is as there are several floor plans avaliable to suit anyones fancy these days. Some may not be classified as a "bass boat" such as those with a center console and half deck / seating up front but it's still quite capable in any lake. Or what about the "walleye" boats that you see mainly up north. Lots of comfortable seating and fishing area in that style without a huge front deck.

I'll just add that in my opinion the big front decks came about when bass anglers decided they needed 15 rods up front at a moments notice. I fall into catagory sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Kboater View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is as there are several floor plans avaliable to suit anyones fancy these days. Some may not be classified as a "bass boat" such as those with a center console and half deck / seating up front but it's still quite capable in any lake. Or what about the "walleye" boats that you see mainly up north. Lots of comfortable seating and fishing area in that style without a huge front deck.
    Bunch of reasons:
    - The gunnel to deck distance is too high, makes pitching and fishing isolated targets harder
    - Shorter decks let rods hang over, leaving them more prone to breakage
    - They are SLOOOOW
    - Cant go as shallow
    - Cost more to tow and run (heavier)

The best solution were the boats that had the open center area with the option of the drop in extended deck/storage compartment. Dont know why bass boat manufacturers got away from that but it would satisfy both groups.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

4. Banned
    Maybe because back then it was still somewhat popular to use the large hard-sided tackle boxes or soft tackle bag vs the 3700 boxes.

vs

True, but even my old '93 Stratos 285 fit 12-14 3700's plus scents, extras, line, etc in the center compartment alone... and 5-6 more in the front stbd compartment. If you need more tackle than that you are just confused

6. Member
    I've got an older Ranger (81) that I just got out of storage, and am thinking about restoring, that is set up like that with the exception that it has a front live well just behind the pedestal. That is one loooooong live well but I have just used it for storage. Those tackle boxes were the cat's meow, especially with the possum belly, back in the day. Oh yeah, I do like the layout of the boat.

Most tourneys here in Texas are team...almost always two guys on the front deck. I like the big decks. We extended my partners 203 Champ for that reason, we've both nearly broke our necks falling in that worthless GIANT wasted space between the lockers..we dont take naps and rarely sit down except to change baits or re-tie.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    True, but even my old '93 Stratos 285 fit 12-14 3700's plus scents, extras, line, etc in the center compartment alone... and 5-6 more in the front stbd compartment. If you need more tackle than that you are just confused
    LOL I agree with that also! Why in the world do most guys carry every piece of tackle that they own to the lake. You can only fish with one rod at a time.

Don't know if these guys are any good, but the pictures may inspire you. There's also a link to another BBC Post.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=734319

https://www.fishonfabrications.com/deck-extensions.html
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Most tourneys here in Texas are team...almost always two guys on the front deck. I like the big decks. We extended my partners 203 Champ for that reason, we've both nearly broke our necks falling in that worthless GIANT wasted space between the lockers..we dont take naps and rarely sit down except to change baits or re-tie.

But it's at those times I like to comfortably go thru tackle and re-tie. Also being off your feet for a minute multiple times a day while doing this does wonders for stamina throughout the day. With the full decks there is nowhere to comfortably sit while going thru tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bass Tard View Post
    Don't know if these guys are any good, but the pictures may inspire you. There's also a link to another BBC Post.

https://www.fishonfabrications.com/deck-extensions.html

Yes, IMO boats should be designed like the ones in this link, and the inserts shown should come with them from the factory. Then you can have your boat either way to suite you and your preferences, and change depending on situation.

Ill give an opposing view. I actually feel the exact opposite, why in the world does every bass boat nowadays have to have deck all the way back to the consoles? You dont ever stand there and they have WAY more than enough storage as is already. I have bad knees, I can stand all day no issues, but to kneel down (like you have to do to get tackle out of compartments with FULL deck) causes me very bad pain, as in I cant do it without wincing the whole time. Therefore, it is MUCH more comfortable for me to sit on the rod locker with me feet in the space you call wasted, and go thru my compartment, get lures, and tie up. Then stand up and return to fishing.

I really wish some boat companies shared my view, cause it's almost impossible to buy a new boat now without a WAY oversized and unused deck that buts up to the consoles and has no foot room unless I sit backwards and have to twist 180 degrees, still uncomfortable. But my opinion is in the vast minority so Im not holding my breath. Ill just have to keep buying older boats so I can sit in comfort to go thru my tackle and tie up haha

Ive even considered going back to a mid 90's Stratos like yours for this reason alone.
    Totally agree !! My last 2 boats had the deck extension which I promptly removed !! i still can carry all the tackle and then some that I'll ever need, Plus 15 rod set ups !! I've fished out of some that have NO room for the back seater which I don't like either. JM$.02
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

13. Member
    Ill give an opposing view. I actually feel the exact opposite, why in the world does every bass boat nowadays have to have deck all the way back to the consoles? You dont ever stand there and they have WAY more than enough storage as is already. I have bad knees, I can stand all day no issues, but to kneel down (like you have to do to get tackle out of compartments with FULL deck) causes me very bad pain, as in I cant do it without wincing the whole time. Therefore, it is MUCH more comfortable for me to sit on the rod locker with me feet in the space you call wasted, and go thru my compartment, get lures, and tie up. Then stand up and return to fishing.

I really wish some boat companies shared my view, cause it's almost impossible to buy a new boat now without a WAY oversized and unused deck that buts up to the consoles and has no foot room unless I sit backwards and have to twist 180 degrees, still uncomfortable. But my opinion is in the vast minority so Im not holding my breath. Ill just have to keep buying older boats so I can sit in comfort to go thru my tackle and tie up haha

Ive even considered going back to a mid 90's Stratos like yours for this reason alone.
    Good counterpoint. Never thought of it that way. I just always looked at the huge decks and loved all the room. But I am always in front of the pedestal mount so what's the point? Newer boats do tend to be much wider in front of the pedestal and the additional storage is nice.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

14. Member
    The basscat puma is the best of both worlds . Penalty of front deck for 2 guys pitching and flipping and just enough room to sit down and re tie . And with a 250 will run 78 to 82 mph . Depending on load or driver ability .

Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    The basscat puma is the best of both worlds . Penalty of front deck for 2 guys pitching and flipping and just enough room to sit down and re tie . And with a 250 will run 78 to 82 mph . Depending on load or driver ability .
    It's on my short list of next boats to own. Actually going from my '04 Stratos 200XL (full front deck and when I realized I hate them haha) to my current Pantera II was the area there in the center that is almost the same as the Puma's.

16. Member
    I've got a Sabre with the factory deck extension. It is nice since it has the extra storage (that I don't really need). It pretty much just holds rain gear. With where the foot pedal is on my boat I am never back that far. Though I can fish two on the front deck with no problem

17. Member
    Keep talking. Vexus is listening!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Seems that back then anglers felt it unnecessary to pitch a tent on deck?

19. Member
    My Champ 206 is kinda like that, but with a step up cooler. I like it because I can sit on my starboard rod locker and get into the main center storage, rod box on port side and I use the step up cooler for a day box. Good triangle access. It's comfortable for the transition from floor to deck and while sitting to retie. If it was all deck, it would be great for two people maybe three (with not many rods on the deck). But, I fish alone most of the time and the front is still enough room for two. Just not as much as if it were all deck. My last boat had the deck extension all the way to the console and it was nice with the TM down, but I prefer the easy step.
    Champion 206
    250XB

20. Member
    Can’t believe no one has mentioned the XS version of the Lund pro v bass. I have the 2075 version and absolutely love having the walk around room in the cockpit. Plenty of room for an ice chest and seats four if I ever need it. Love having standing access to the livewell. And still has the huge front deck. Personally it would be difficult to go back to a more cramped style cockpit boat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast